First time bike gear for 125 practicing.

I need help with choosing some gear. So far I only have a balaclava! I am going for my cbt next week (I can borrow items there), but I wanted to get some gear ready for the purchase of my 125 pretty soon hopefully.

I was think I need:

Helmet

Gloves

I am not sure what is realistic in terms of costs? I was hoping to get both above for around £60.

I think I can manage without full leathers, jacket, boots, however I might be wrong. I only plan to use it in good weather and local practice on the 125 in prep for my full test.

Help! Thanks :D

Helmet - can get for 60 - but spend as much as you can, its important, only get one head.

Gloves - anything from 10-200 so shop around

Seriously suggest getting protective gear with armour. I've seen someone come off in normal jeans at low speed, 6 weeks laid up with gravel burns and impact damage

Aldi do protective gear if you're really on a budget and you can pick up a set for about 100 quid. A decent set will cost at least 250-350. Weather might look nice but at 40mph it can get pretty bloody chilly

A bike can be fixed, your body, not so easily. You don't want to be flying through the air thinking 'i really wish I'd spent a few more quid on armoured clothing...'

Some really really important points there al_Stu, thanks!

That's strange I am actually going to Aldi today to do some shopping, lol I will check it out :)

I wouldn't even know what the best "armour" would be, other than going by the price (assuming that the more expensive it is.. the more protection)?

Thanks.

You might as well invest in some gear. You're keen to continue on and do your tests, the examiner can refuse to test you if he deems you're not wearing appropriate attire!

It's been said before, you can get a second hand set of leathers off ebay for not alot of money. i paid £40 for a hein gericke jacket and trousers to go with and they're in good condition.

the helmet, don't buy second hand. as already said, you only get 1 head, get the best you can afford.

gloves wise, you will need a pair of summer gloves and a pair of winter - you won't need the winter gloves right away, but think about it when winter gets closer.

Think about what happens when you're drunk and you fall over (happens alot!) think about the rash on your arm from a simple fall from stationary. now multiply that fall by a factor of 30 and that's about the damage from 10mph!!

the final point is, the police are likely to pull you over and give you a talking to if you're not wearing the proper gear. They have to attend if you have an off and clean the road of your skin and bone. It's not a pleasant job and they're prefer not to do it!

ultimately, it's your skin, and it's your choice.

I'd advocate a set of Textiles 2nd hand off eBay.....something from a decent maker and with full armour.....you'd be suprised what you could pick a full set of gear up for..... :wink:

Boots too.......wearing trainers on a bike is not ideal....and if you drop the bike, even stationary, and it lands on your ankle you'll be fooked without decent boots on..... :shock:

All good advice. I don't ride out without, boots, gloves, protective jacket and protective trousers. And helmet of course. I wear all weather gloves all year round with silk gloves underneath to stop the sweating.

In terms of armour, I think you'll find you want the 'CE' rated stuff. It does come in various forms, even my decent textile jacket has just foam in the back and I bought an upgraded hard armour to put under it. I'm sure one of the more experienced guys will be able to direct you to a website

There's also a website that has lists of approved helmets. Buggered if I know it but search for 'helmet' on the forum and its been mentioned loads of times in posts. If your CBT is half decent they'll talk to you about the different stamps they have on them and what they mean.

If you can get to a bike show (just do a Google) quite often there's deals going there. At the NEC last year I paid 60 for boots, 60 for a helmet, 10 for winter gloves and 99 for full leathers. Now I'm just slowly replacing the bits with more expensive gear as I get spare cash

Thanks everyone just been to Hein Gericke, wow it's an expensive game in there!

Going through some on ebay now, looks like you can pick up some really good stuff as you all suggested.

I am definitely going to try to get the best stuff I can, as you say, safety is number 1.

By the way Aldi also (occasionally) do compression underwear and thermal layers. Very good (and waaaay cheaper than the branded layers). I have an Aldi golf thermal windbreaker which is fantastic and I think was only a tenner

I've just won a Hein Gericke Gore-Tex Jacket for £16 on eBay....so, yes, buying new can be an expensive game....but buying 2nd hand can work pretty well......lots of "worn a couple of times" stuff on there for sensible money...... :wink:

Yep...that's where I went before I bought my Bell lid....although that was slightly more than £100...... :wink: The other major factor when chosing a lid is fit......it's gotta fit right otherwise it don't matter how many Sharp stars it gets....... :wink:

I've only been riding for a month (125cc) but i nabbed a decent flip-face Aston helmet for around £60-70...fits perfect. Grooves for glasses as well if you need them...

Now i just have the habit of leaving the face up if i'm riding through town....must stop doing that....

I passed my cbt 2 week ago I brought my jacket second hand only cost £20 for a RST, I got my gloves also RST from ebay under £20, got my helmet from a local shop £70 I think might have been £60 MT thunder 4 or 5 star helmet so not to expensive for a decent helmet. although I also brought my boots from a local shop they cost £70 as well but there are cheaper out there.

I did buy so motorbike trousers from my local shop but I hate wearing them way to hot. If you do get some get the ones here you can take out the waterproof lining.

OOOOOOOOOOooooooooo and a can of anti fog spray

Hi all,

Just wondering when you are buying a helmet, do you still pick the size for your head without a balaclava even if you plan to wear one.

For example, I have a natural tendancy to sweat a bit (sorry to share that information :oops: ), so I plan to wear a balaclava, but then this might affect the size of helmet I need?

Not sure? I measured my head a looks like I am a MEDIUM, I have tried some on and a LARGE even seems quite tight! Do the helmets give some and loosen up after a few weeks?

Thanks.

You've got to try lids on to find one that fits OK........a Medium from one manufacturer could be loose....but a Large from another manufacturer could be tight...... :roll: As for wearing a balaclava under the lid.....it shouldn't affect the size too much......but you really need to find a lid that is snug, not tight......and certainly not loose...... :shock:

Check this fitting guide from the SHARP website for info on getting the correct fit....... 8-)

http://sharp.direct.gov.uk/node/27

• 1 month later...

Also go for motorbike leather jacket have both benefits, one is safety and 2nd is that it also give good look. I recently saw on leatherseven.

Hi, better to get quality second hand gear than cheep new tack. Look at it this way, your going to be most vulnerable whilst learning so get the best protection you can afford. Plenty of really cheap quality gear on the auction sites just make sure you know your size and then jump in.

best of luck

Going back to the Aldi gear - I seem to recall that their helmets aren't actually certified to meet the legally required safety standards... Worth checking the label before buying something that may amount to a full face bicycle helmet :P

Going back to the Aldi gear - I seem to recall that their helmets aren't actually certified to meet the legally required safety standards... Worth checking the label before buying something that may amount to a full face bicycle helmet :P

If that were the case it'd be illegal to sell them

Safety helmet standards

All helmets sold in the UK must either:

meet British Standard BS 6658:1985 and carry the BSI Kitemark

meet UNECE Regulation 22.05

meet a European Economic Area member standard offering at least the same safety and protection as BS 6658:1985, and carry a mark equivalent to the BSI Kitemark

Source: https://www.gov.uk/motorcycle-helmet-law