Antisocial driving laws

techno

Im sure I havent seen owt on here about this so I was wondering what peoples thoughts are on it?

http://www.thisisbristol.co.uk/Drive-cr ... z2Vdp7GgnR

I have read everything from what is written in the above link to spinning wheels been a ticketable offence!

There is a line in the article about how it can be interpreted and its subjective and it is, I was recently a passenger the wife was driving down the outside lane, I askled why she didnt at least pull to the middle (most of the time the inside lane is too full of lorries to bother with ) her reply" why no ones coming up behind if they do I will get out of the way"

WHich tbh is fair enough if you arnt holding anyone up why does it matter, if the road is clear does it matter? Not one bit!

I can see people causing more trouble bouncing in and out of lanes because of this cos they're scared thery might get puulled than any "lane hogger" tbh.

As for tail gating yep fine mobiles blah blah blah it already exists however ,"pushing into an orderly queue" wtf so your supposed to wait till someone lets you out :) good luck in towns and cities with that one!

Being in the wrong lane on a roundabout once again wtf people do get wrong directions etc is there any clairfication to any of these "rules" or is it down to the particular cop?

Most of these really wont make any difference, they will be as unenforcable as the mobile law.

Anyway tldr the article belows comments for the most part make me shake my head in disbelief, enjoy motoring while you can, while your allowed the enemy is within!

The laws are there waiting to be abused!

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree ... iddle-lane

Ive always been told in both driving and riding, if youre in the wrong lane on a roundabout, take the wrong exit. turn around when safe and reattempt the roundabout in the right lane and take the right exit.

In the past week I had 4 people drift across in front of me on a roundabout - they went in the right hand lane to avoid a small queue then they just jump across. IMO it is a real problem and I will be glad to see someone get pulled a fined for it, it is dangerous.

as for lane hogging - how do you define lane hogging? what happens when there are 5 cars in a row sat in the middle lane - the cops can only pull 1 of them over?

lane hogging in the fast lane - if theyre doing 70mph and travelling faster than the middle and inside lane then theyre not lane hogging, and if you pull up too close behind them you will (potentially) get pulled for tailgating instead. Where is the line on this sort of thing?

pushing into a queue - admittedly one of the things that really pisses me off whilst on the roads. it is NOT ok to pull out, sit across blocking one side of the road because you think it will guilt trip someone into making room for them - but this suffers from the same problem as all these other new rules - where the hell are the police to catch people doing this?

Its been everywhere, mostly un enforceable as it relies on a matter of opinion. I can see dodgy cops having a wail of a time with it though.

I think motorists who let themselves get bullied will get tickets, but people who know the law and stand their ground will not. Obviously, cocks who are tailgating 12" from the car in front deserve it and if there is video evidence they will not have a leg to stand on.

I would be interested to see a cop try and pull me for being in the wrong lane on a roundabout? Especially in a bus, when I am covering all three due to the narrowness of the lanes in bristol!

Ninereeds I found think if you've waited for a while and no one let's you out pulling out and blocking a lane is fine when it's busy, what alternative for you have if no one is gonna be courteous?

The thing I've found with some toads with over abundant speed cameras around here is that they are just one stream of traffic that you can't pull into as there are no natural gaps that people travelling at different speeds create.

Ninereeds I found think if you've waited for a while and no one let's you out pulling out and blocking a lane is fine when it's busy, what alternative for you have if no one is gonna be courteous?

The thing I've found with some toads with over abundant speed cameras around here is that they are just one stream of traffic that you can't pull into as there are no natural gaps that people travelling at different speeds create.

I realise this, but it's am imperfect world. you should sit and wait untill someone courteous does come along to let you out. I know its boring and I know its slow but why inconveniance everyone on the other side of the road because you cant be bothered to wait politely for 2 minutes?

if it was a queue to get into a theme park and someone pushed in halfway down the line it would be a whole different story! I cant see why people dont just wait their turn.

sorry but I disagree about not making your way out if one side is clear

when I'm in one of those moods at work I drive as DSA want you too and have been known to sit at a junction for more than 5 mins as there wasn't a gap on both sides!

If you sit and wait you will sit and wait for ages as no one gives way these days

forcing your way out is a different story though at least wait till there is a gap on one side then block the lane and someone will give way on the other side

Also if you wait for 2mins then the next car and the next that's going to end up one hell of a tailback, oh and queuing and waiting your turn is totally different,it's like we speed but we wouldn't steal both are laws one were find to break one we don't. Well mostly

Lane hogging is pointless to be made illegal in my opinion but that's depending on how fast you are going, if on a motorway you are going 65-70 MPH then I say it's pointless no matter what lane you are in. All it is, is another way for them to take more money from you by pulling you and fining you for retarded offences because they can't think of other ways to police the roads or motorways.

Tailgating however, I think it's good that it's been made illegal. Only thing is that people will still do it regardless of whether or not there are police either in front, behind or to the right or left of you.

Also, how would police know whom uses the wrong lane at a roundabout? That's a bloody rediculous thing, an on the spot fixed fine and three points for that? Sounds to me like they are getting even more desperate and using that as an excuse because they don't want to go to court. It's their job isn't it? To police and enforce the law and even at times bring those they catch and charge to court, sounds to me like they are getting more lazy tbh.

So how many resources do the police need for that hmm? Does that open up a new window with a big RECRUITMENT sign on it because they can't be everywhere at once. If people are unsure of where they are going then of course they would take the wrong lane at a roundabout, if they know where they are going but take the wrong lane and exit anyway then there is something bloody wrong with them :D

Also, how would police know whom uses the wrong lane at a roundabout? That's a bloody rediculous thing, an on the spot fixed fine and three points for that? Sounds to me like they are getting even more desperate and using that as an excuse because they don't want to go to court.

It becomes obvious who's in the wrong lane on a roundabout when they cut someone up by darting from the inside lane out to the exit with barely a glance at what stands in their way. Or they stop on the roundabout and wait for a gap to appear they can squeeze through.

again, only 1 in 500,000* of these offences will ever be seen by police so it doesnt make much difference.

*statistic entirely made up on the spot.

I realise this, but it's am imperfect world. you should sit and wait untill someone courteous does come along to let you out. I know its boring and I know its slow but why inconveniance everyone on the other side of the road because you cant be bothered to wait politely for 2 minutes?

if it was a queue to get into a theme park and someone pushed in halfway down the line it would be a whole different story! I cant see why people dont just wait their turn.

Because when I'm at work if I've sat waiting politely waiting for someone to let me out I'm going to miss delivery/collection times at clients I'll sit for a while but coming out of an industrial estate with 4 or 5 artics behind me...

Lane hogging is pointless to be made illegal in my opinion but that's depending on how fast you are going, if on a motorway you are going 65-70 MPH then I say it's pointless no matter what lane you are in. All it is, is another way for them to take more money from you by pulling you and fining you for retarded offences because they can't think of other ways to police the roads or motorways.

Tailgating however, I think it's good that it's been made illegal. Only thing is that people will still do it regardless of whether or not there are police either in front, behind or to the right or left of you.

Also, how would police know whom uses the wrong lane at a roundabout? That's a bloody rediculous thing, an on the spot fixed fine and three points for that? Sounds to me like they are getting even more desperate and using that as an excuse because they don't want to go to court. It's their job isn't it? To police and enforce the law and even at times bring those they catch and charge to court, sounds to me like they are getting more lazy tbh.

So how many resources do the police need for that hmm? Does that open up a new window with a big RECRUITMENT sign on it because they can't be everywhere at once. If people are unsure of where they are going then of course they would take the wrong lane at a roundabout, if they know where they are going but take the wrong lane and exit anyway then there is something bloody wrong with them :D

I didn't realise the Police made the Laws and decide on how how they will be implemented. I would imagine the issuing of tickets free's up the courts for more serious matters. If you accept what you have done and pay the ticket that would save a lot of time on paperwork for a court file as well. If you dispute the ticket and request a court appearance then exactly the same effort is required on the part of the Police and Courts as if you were taken to court in the first place. It also saves the offender taking time off work etc to attend a court hearing doesn't it?

What would be the official signal for one driver to allow another driver to pull out?

Will flashing headlights become law? That would be in contradiction to the current driving instructions where flashing headlights doe not mean "you can pull out"

With no clear, legally defined way for one car to signal another car that they are letting them pull out, this law is unenforceable.

As for lane hogging, I hate it when you find a little car doing 68 in the fast lane, they should be pulled over and spoken to, not fined!

However I also hate driving in the slow lane of motorways due to the big ruts in the road caused by the heavy trucks. Cars have a narrower wheelbase than trucks so you end up with one wheel in the rut and the other on the hump, or the car starts "tramlining" which isn't much fun.

Its just another way to raise revenue... Some bean counter has said "OK, police cars cost 50k, with a life span of 3years+ servicing of 10k, +cost of two policemans wages, how can we generate more revenue to justify the expense???"

Its a business decision to make the police profit and loss account look healthier, not to improve public safety or driving standards.

Edited by Joeman

maybe the police should bring in on the spot fines for people not letting people into queues?

they could make millions from that one.

When driving in Luxemburg you need to be careful as sometimes the priority goes to the car pulling from the side road!

So driver on major road has to give way to car pulling out from minor road... Hope they Dont bring that law over here!!

It's not the examples given, it's the powers afforded to the police to make them judge, jury and executioner in these cases. Having said that, police cars are filled with technology to gather evidence and prove beyond reasonable doubt that a motorist was guilty of an offense.

We all would complain that driving standards have fallen. I know this from my 14 short years behind the wheel, so those who have been driving longer must see a larger drop in standards.

This new mechanism takes poor drivers out of the courts and hits them where it matters. Their pockets. I back this new proposal and I hope it goes some way to improving driving standards and attitudes in this country.

Down here in London the laws are needed as the amount of crap that goes on is unreal!

Down here a red light means, oh just 3 more cars.

A wide single lane means, you can fit that 3 cars wide, bottle neck it and slow everything down.

A roundabout lane has no bearing on where anyone is going to go.

And in up to 60mph roads means if you sit at speed limit you will have a car 2 inches behind you.

They have a lot of CCTV already catching drivers being bad. Use it to catch the exceptionally bad ones I say. You can tell when someone is doing it deliberately. For much of the rest of the country its barely needed... Everytime I go to the North west to see my family or up to Teesside to see the gf's family it is always such a relief for me.

Absolutely cannot stand the traffic down here, can you tell? :lol:

from what i have heard and read the police are going to be using cctv to spot people lane hogging. the way of the road is to stay on the inside lane until you need to over take a slower vehicle. personally i ride like that cos i get bored sat in one lane following and it keeps me awake and more alert if i am on a long journey.

france apparently put the onus on the person behind the car changing lanes to be aware, if you want to move lanes you put your indicator on, wait a little then move its up to the person behind to pay attention and alter to let you in, that would be a good idea over here but you just know some knob will move without indicating.

personally i think they should just teach people how to drive on motorways for their tests, because it is not taught yet, (if it is its not much) but then i think they should be teaching how to drive rather than how to pass the test. but thats a whole new thread.

Would just like to point out that there are no such things as 'fast lane/slow lane' - the left hand lane is the driving lane and any others are overtaking lanes!

Lane hogging is one of the worst things for causing traffic congestion! If everyone was to use the lanes as directed in the Highway code then there would be no need for this law enforcement.

If, for a reasonable distance, there is nothing in the lane to your left, regardless of the speed you are travelling - MOVE OVER!!!! Many times I have been travelling at the speed limit for motorways (cough!) in the left hand lane and there have been tw*ts travelling at a very similar speed in lane 3 :roll:

I also abhor people who are driving in the centre lane with no traffic to their right, and when I indicate to pull out from the left hand lane they steadfastly refuse to move over to let me out!!

sorry but I disagree about not making your way out if one side is clear

when I'm in one of those moods at work I drive as DSA want you too and have been known to sit at a junction for more than 5 mins as there wasn't a gap on both sides!

If you sit and wait you will sit and wait for ages as no one gives way these days

forcing your way out is a different story though at least wait till there is a gap on one side then block the lane and someone will give way on the other side

i have to do the same the times where i had to force my way out because no one let me out, but only prob with that is sooner or later some twat well be on mobile and t bone you, or they telling the kids of in the back seat instead of watching the road

i have to do the same the times where i had to force my way out because no one let me out, but only prob with that is sooner or later some tw*t well be on mobile and t bone you, or they telling the kids of in the back seat instead of watching the road

Yup then its your fault for pulling out!!

I don't get the lane hogging thing. If I'm on a motorway overtaking a lorry at 70mph and there is gap of say 15 seconds between the lorry I'm currently overtaking and the next lorry I want to overtake do I have to pull in to let the moron doing 90mph + approaching my behind past? By the time I've pulled in ill be trying to find a gap to pull back out.

What time period is classed as "lane hogging"?

i have to do the same the times where i had to force my way out because no one let me out, but only prob with that is sooner or later some tw*t well be on mobile and t bone you, or they telling the kids of in the back seat instead of watching the road

Yup then its your fault for pulling out!!

yeah i know it happen to work mate, but the car that hit him also got done lol

I don't get the lane hogging thing. If I'm on a motorway overtaking a lorry at 70mph and there is gap of say 15 seconds between the lorry I'm currently overtaking and the next lorry I want to overtake do I have to pull in to let the moron doing 90mph + approaching my behind past? By the time I've pulled in ill be trying to find a gap to pull back out.

Yes, because that's how the Highway code says you should drive - 15 seconds is a plenty big enough gap to pull over into! Obviously if you need to pull out again after 3-5 seconds then that's different. It's because people don't pull over to the left and continue to drive in the centre lane that causes the situation where there are no gaps to pull out into.

It effectively reduces a 3 lane motorway to a 2 lane motorway!

Yes, because that's how the Highway code says you should drive - 15 seconds is a plenty big enough gap to pull over into! Obviously if you need to pull out again after 3-5 seconds then that's different. It's because people don't pull over to the left and continue to drive in the centre lane that causes the situation where there are no gaps to pull out into.

It effectively reduces a 3 lane motorway to a 2 lane motorway!

Yes, but it also states that the national speed limit is 70mph! If I'm travelling at 70mph in the middle lane overtaking two lorries then theoretically it shouldn't make a difference if I pull back in or not!