I wanna go touring!

Benn

This is still a grey area!

If you pass your bike test aged over 24 and on a big enough bike you have a FULL licence,

if you're under24 or you do test on a smaller, lighter bike

technically you have a RESTRICTED licence.

Therefore you can't ride abroad!

That's my take on it anyway!

I know people do and get away with it but I'd be worried about having to claim

Im not sure its a grey area.. the only example i can give is Trotter, who came with us last year, He was riding on a restricted license and had no trouble getting his insurance company to cover him. I have no worries at all about anyone coming with me on a restricted license.. as all of the eu has these same restrictions. L plates are something else entirely.. even if they were legal over there.. the person on L plates couldnt come due to the amount of motorway involved.

I think.. calling restricted licenses into question is a needless complication. a source of worry that doesnt exist. Obviously its always possible that the insurance company will say no... i would suggest switching to another that says YES.

If your insurance company say fine.. then theres no problem. you should have this in writing.

I've looked into this quite a lot!

The insurance will insure you yes,

but what would they do if you had to claim?

They'd try to get out of it on any technical issue they could!

A restricted licence in any form is not a full licence! they won't pay!

I knew this would start a shit storm when I posted it! :lol:

I hope I'm wrong but don't think I am :lol:

you are wrong Ian

it is a full licence just with a restriction

there is no such thing as half a licence :wink:

its either full or provisional

and you can ride abroad if restricted!

as for my comment from 3 years ago about the 2 year thing! god knows why I typed it :|

:lol: I'm not wrong but I'm not going to argue.

Unless Sue ever passes her test then I might need to know for sure :D

My last point will be :lol:

you fill in the form for the uk, it says do you hold the appropiate licence?

you quite truthfully put yes.(restricted)

The rules for The EU say you have to hold a FULL licence! you're not covered!

Q If I pass my 125 motorcycle test (category A1) can I ride in Europe e.g. France, Germany, Holland, Spain etc.

A Yes you have passed your test! The category on your licence still applied Category A1 (125), Category A2 (47bhp) or category A (Unrestricted) as they are the same throughout europe. Basically you have passed your test so European riding is OK, but no you can't pass a 125cc test in the UK and hop on a 600 in spain.

http://www.90-one.com/testchange.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Just my thoughts, the licence is either full or provisional, but if it is a full A2 licence then it is the bike that is restricted.

• 1 month later...
.... And Stu, I am happy to do my test if I have a good reason to do it. It's not worth the money just to loose my L plates but if it means I could tour Europe, it would be worth it :)

Yes it is....unless you're happy to doddle around on a 125.

.... And Stu, I am happy to do my test if I have a good reason to do it. It's not worth the money just to loose my L plates but if it means I could tour Europe, it would be worth it :)

Don't think you'll get far with that argument seeing as Benn hasn't posted on the forum since 2013 :lol:

Don't think you'll get far with that argument seeing as Benn hasn't posted on the forum since 2013 :lol:

Also back then, at the tender age of 17, he'd still only be doddling round on a 125.

Also back then, at the tender age of 17, he'd still only be doddling round on a 125.

http://www.mobilefun.co.uk/graphics/misc/16869.gif

And unable to drink in pubs.

">
" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;