Using engine oil as a chain lubricant?

Benn

Two threads in one day? Crikey!

I have lots of old engine oil from my last oil change and remember I read on here that someone keeps a barrel of the stuff to use on their chain? Did I really read that?

Basically, is there any reason not to lubricate my chain with (old) engine oil?

I read on here that someone keeps a barrel of the stuff to use on their chain? Did I really read that?

yes you did read it and it was me :lol:

although I seem to be getting more oil then I can use!! time to get rid of some :lol:

something like this perhaps?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Kitchen-Craft-C ... d_sim_kh_1

I had all of it in the old castrol container and was trying to figure out how to get it on without wasting too much, then I thought of this... I poured it onto a sponge and waited for it to soak in, then wiped the chain down with it - worked a treat :)

I read on here that someone keeps a barrel of the stuff to use on their chain? Did I really read that?

yes you did read it and it was me :lol:

although I seem to be getting more oil then I can use!! time to get rid of some :lol:

I remember now! I thought it was either you, Tango or Techno :lol:

Off Topic I know.....but I was looking at the ABBA stands again the other day....and you can now get an attachment for them to raise the front wheel off the ground too......and not the separate thing they used to sell either...... 8-)

Off Topic I know.....but I was looking at the ABBA stands again the other day....and you can now get an attachment for them to raise the front wheel off the ground too......and not the separate thing they used to sell either...... 8-)

Might have to look at that and see how it works as nothing works with mine with the engine been central and weight distribution been good the full bike just lifts up :lol:

Anyone thought of a way to thicken up old motor oil to help prevent it flinging off??

you dont need to......just dont put loads on and leave it for a day before you ride and just oil it more often

I feel the need to point out that used engine oil is chuffing horrible stuff to you, it's acidic and carsonagenic. I used to have a special oil squirter put just for the used stuff, then remove excess with lots of rag. You don't want it all over your hands if you can help it, this is at least partly why mechanics where nitrile gloves.

Seems to be perfectly good chain lube though.

I feel the need to point out that used engine oil is chuffing horrible stuff to you, it's acidic and carsonagenic. I used to have a special oil squirter put just for the used stuff, then remove excess with lots of rag. You don't want it all over your hands if you can help it, this is at least partly why mechanics where nitrile gloves.

Seems to be perfectly good chain lube though.

Boody ell...when I began in the workshop we regularly used to spray the underside of customers cars with waste oil...no masks then...no gloves...and I'm still here...cough....oh wait a cough minute cough cough....mayb...............................................................