Ebay cretin - options?

XmisterIS

I just sold two items on ebay and on the listings it said, quite clearly, "buyer collects".

Now, some joker has won both items and wants me to post them to him, miles away. So I weighed the items, got a postage cost through royal mail, and now he says he doesn't want to pay that much and is trying to beat me down on postage costs, saying things like, "if I find a cheaper courier, can you drive the item to their office, I think up to 5 miles away is fair".

I told him that I was prepared to take the f**king thing five minutes up the road to the local post office and by the way can he not f**king read the god damn huge letters which say "BUYER F**KING COLLECTS"???

Of course, I didn't swear at him like that, but has anyone else experienced this with ebay?! What was the outcome?

Ebay probably won't be a lot of help just suggesting you leave negative feedback or similar. If the transaction does fall through, make sure you tell them (and why) or they'll still extract their fee.

We use My Hermes for posting stuff:

http://www.myhermes1.co.uk/

They are normally cheaper than Royal Mail. You can either drop it off at a local collection point (often a village OneStop or similar) or, for a slightly higher fee, they'll collect it from your home address.

screw him, buyer collects means just that, if he doesnt want to pick it up himself he can arrange a courier to pick it up for him, FROM your home

My sentiments entirely, but even though he is clearly a f**king moron and completely in the wrong, he can still give me negative feedback if I refuse to post the item (which is ludicrously heavy) ... :evil:

Ebay probably won't be a lot of help just suggesting you leave negative feedback or similar. If the transaction does fall through, make sure you tell them (and why) or they'll still extract their fee.

We use My Hermes for posting stuff:

http://www.myhermes1.co.uk/

They are normally cheaper than Royal Mail. You can either drop it off at a local collection point (often a village OneStop or similar) or, for a slightly higher fee, they'll collect it from your home address.

Thanks for the link! I think I will offer him Royal Mail or stick it up his arse, because I put buyer collects deliberately so I didn't have to go running all over the place trying to post the bast*rd thing! God damn it, he's an idiot. Or just has no personal boundaries and doesn't give a shit.

Has he paid?? If not, can you report him for non-payment??

Nope, he's paid via paypal (which you can no longer refuse on EBay ... and EBay owns PayPal ... funny coincidence, that!). But he's only paid for the item, not postage (because of course no postage cost was listed). So if he refuses to pay for Royal Mail I have no idea what to do ... you can't, I think, report a crap buyer to EBay ... but he can report me.

have had a good look into this, if he was to leave you negative feedback ebay will remove it as he is making what they class as unreasonable demands. You clearly specified pick up only and he is trying to make you change the terms of the sale. I have pasted below the part of the ebay policy which is relevant, perhaps you could send him the following link through ebays messaging

http://pages.ebay.co.uk/help/policies/buying-practices.html

Making unreasonable demands

When you bid on or buy an item, you're accepting the seller's terms as set out in their listing. You're entitled to expect that the seller will do what they've said with regards to postage, payments and returns.

Consumer buyers also have certain legal rights when purchasing items from business sellers - for example, the right to return a damaged or faulty item. This policy does not affect your exercise of these legal rights.

However, there are some things that you can't expect sellers to do. In particular, using the threat of negative Feedback or low detailed seller ratings to make such demands is considered Feedback extortion.

Allowed

Asking to use one of the alternative postage options specified in the listing

Asking to use a more expensive postage option to get the item more quickly, and offering to pay the extra postage cost

Notifying the seller that your payment may be delayed briefly due to exceptional circumstances

Asking to return an item according to the seller's returns policy

Asking whether a seller will combine postage for multiple purchases

Not allowed

Demanding a change to the postage method or delivery location, other than those specified in the listing

Demanding a change to the payment method or timing, other than those specified in the listing

Consistently purchasing items and receiving refunds outside of the seller's return policy

Demanding a partial refund or discount under threat of negative Feedback, low detailed seller ratings, or filing a buyer protection case

Demanding additional items or services

Requesting that the transaction be completed off eBay

have had a good look into this, if he was to leave you negative feedback ebay will remove it as he is making what they class as unreasonable demands. You clearly specified pick up only and he is trying to make you change the terms of the sale. I have pasted below the part of the ebay policy which is relevant, perhaps you could send him the following link through ebays messaging

http://pages.ebay.co.uk/help/policies/buying-practices.html

Making unreasonable demands

When you bid on or buy an item, you're accepting the seller's terms as set out in their listing. You're entitled to expect that the seller will do what they've said with regards to postage, payments and returns.

Consumer buyers also have certain legal rights when purchasing items from business sellers - for example, the right to return a damaged or faulty item. This policy does not affect your exercise of these legal rights.

However, there are some things that you can't expect sellers to do. In particular, using the threat of negative Feedback or low detailed seller ratings to make such demands is considered Feedback extortion.

Allowed

Asking to use one of the alternative postage options specified in the listing

Asking to use a more expensive postage option to get the item more quickly, and offering to pay the extra postage cost

Notifying the seller that your payment may be delayed briefly due to exceptional circumstances

Asking to return an item according to the seller's returns policy

Asking whether a seller will combine postage for multiple purchases

Not allowed

Demanding a change to the postage method or delivery location, other than those specified in the listing

Demanding a change to the payment method or timing, other than those specified in the listing

Consistently purchasing items and receiving refunds outside of the seller's return policy

Demanding a partial refund or discount under threat of negative Feedback, low detailed seller ratings, or filing a buyer protection case

Demanding additional items or services

Requesting that the transaction be completed off eBay

Lovely! Thanks. I will send exactly that to him and see what happens ... That's great. :D

Keep all your communication through ebay messages, I bought an item that turned out to be useless (an already registered item of music software) and the seller wouldn't refund me because they made out I wanted access to the software key and then claim a refund afterwards.

It turned out that the seller had purchased the software 2nd hand themselves and didn't obtain the proper codes so the software could be transferred to another owner. Thank goodness all the necessary evidence was contained in the ebay messages we exchanged.

I would politely but clearly list all options i as a seller am happy with: either the buyer collects in person as indicated in the listing, arranges delivery himself at his cost the way you are comfortable with or either you refund. If he starts pressing you report him to ebay

Well, I reminded them of the EBay rules as per my previous post here, along with some veiled threats of reporting them to EBay ... and almost entirely by magic, the full amount for postage via royal mail as arrived in my PayPal account. :mrgreen:

If you really wanna get rid of it, go to myHermes or city link, get quote, get him to pay upfront then send item, very easy, I use them often.

If you think you can sell it again, open a dispute, get seller fee refund and re list. So many stupid people on eBay!