Florida...

dfrbrowne

Never been to Florida, not even for a holiday.

Now have the opportunity to actually move over there and live, moving this autumn to Tampa.

Anyone been there, would you live there if you had the chance?

couple of things.

I'd learn how to bake my own bread before moving out there as the 'muricans love to put tonnes of sugar into everything. Don't go into a 7eleven and expect any healthy snacks. Bottles of pop (or soda) are twice the size as the uk. You will find yourself craving foods that don't have tonnes of sugar and sweetners in.

Aside from that, the majority of american folks i've had the pleasure of meeting within their own shores are courteous pleasant friendly folk. Customer service is great over there (if a little forced) and driving mannars on the whole are completely different. Apparently the threat of someone having a gun in their glovebox and being able to shoot your face off means most people obey the basic rules of the road.

I'd happily move to america, i don't care which state (except Kansas). I'd even move to North Carolina!

My Dad owned a villa out in Orlando for a good few years so I have spent months over there :)

Most noticeably the people are overly friendly but sometimes I do get annoyed by them as its a bit too much at times. However all the food is super cheap and twice the size of the stuff you get over here... A large coke out there is a super size here. And the super size there will defeat most people from here!

Lovely weather though, it's a bit temperamental in that in summer it can rain every day at 5pm with a fantastic lightning storm to boot for an hour but its cleared up in an hour.

Im out there this September, so its not too bad otherwise I wouldnt keep going back :lol:

My Dad owned a villa out in Orlando for a good few years so I have spent months over there :)

Most noticeably the people are overly friendly but sometimes I do get annoyed by them as its a bit too much at times. However all the food is super cheap and twice the size of the stuff you get over here... A large coke out there is a super size here. And the super size there will defeat most people from here!

Lovely weather though, it's a bit temperamental in that in summer it can rain every day at 5pm with a fantastic lightning storm to boot for an hour but its cleared up in an hour.

Im out there this September, so its not too bad otherwise I wouldnt keep going back :lol:

Ollie & I are there in September too - but for our rebooked honeymoon/first year anniversary *woo hoo*!! :mrgreen:

I think I'd love to just for the weather (tho wouldn't want to live somewhere where it's warm and sunny constantly)! But would miss family too much... :crybaby:

It's great over there,.... but with the croc story, our villa was next to a basketball court, right next to a lake with grass and that around it dodgey swamp thing.

Very worst place to put a basketball court you'd think. Just keept staring at it, waiting for some giant croc to come out and eat me.. some scary nature out there!

Nice place im told. I have friends and family in the states and my friends have just spent two weeks checking out different areas in Florida as they are looking to move from Kentucky to there.

Give it a shot! Worst thing that can happen is you come back to the UK but at least you will never look back and wonder !What if?"

Ollie & I are there in September too - but for our rebooked honeymoon/first year anniversary *woo hoo*!! :mrgreen:

I think I'd love to just for the weather (tho wouldn't want to live somewhere where it's warm and sunny constantly)! But would miss family too much... :crybaby:

If I bump into you out there I'll be like this

http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w113/nickherum/AceVentura-Scream.gif

So dont be too scared, ive met people abroad I've known on the internet before hand and its always the same :roll:

I'm staying in the Hardrock hotel... I quite like it there :)

The best bit of Florida is when it rains, it really rains... But you rarely have an overcast day... In the 6 months ive been out there in total across various parts of the year I'd say only a week of that had an entirely overcast day. In winter it rains a lot more but it still manages to be warm, I was in jeans, a shirt and a super dry coat just strutting around while the Americans were wrapped up in all sorts.

My sister was out there last summer with one of her mates, apparently her mates grandparents own a villa out there in Orlando or somewhere near there. She's out there again in August...Apprently it's awesome out there...But eh, I'd say you could probably expect to see some folk out there walking around with glocks in their back pockets or down their pants like gangsters and grandma's packing 12 Gaugers or some old farm hicks packing a 22. :D

My sister was out there last summer with one of her mates, apparently her mates grandparents own a villa out there in Orlando or somewhere near there. She's out there again in August...Apprently it's awesome out there...But eh, I'd say you could probably expect to see some folk out there walking around with glocks in their back pockets or down their pants like gangsters and grandma's packing 12 Gaugers or some old farm hicks packing a 22. :D

been across to the states twice. I've been to South Carolina, Georgia, Nevada, Arizona and California during my visits and seen one pistol while I was there. That belonged to a homeland security guard in atlanta airport. Not everyone "packs heat" as you might expect. It's a little like the wild west in some respects. cultural media and film would have you believe every man and his dog had a six shooter strapped faithfully to their hip. In reality, there are a few gun toting lunatics, but the vast majority of americans don't exercise their right to bear arms. If they do, they keep their firearm in a secure lock box in their house somewhere (where it's no use to man nor beast!)

I'd jump at the chance to live there, having visited a few times.

Roads are crap for a bike though and while food is cheap, the quality is often not as good as here. I also found driving there to be much more relaxing than here if you remember that while there are rules, no one pay attention to them i.e. pass in what ever lane you want and similar.

Get a car with aircon over there, you'll need it. Oh yeah, I've never seen a gun when i was over there either that wasn't in a shop.

I think we might be back over there in September too. :)

Was there a couple of weeks ago in Orlando with my son and we did Seaworld/Kennedy/Universal etc... I doubt if living in Florida is much like being on holiday but it was a friendly place to be - even the 'gators were smiling

Hired a bike out there but too many straight roads and too low a speed limit when you do get off them to be that much fun. Daytona Beach Bike week (March) and Biketoberfest look like they could be good though.

I wouldn't personally want to live/work there but sounds like a great opportunity :D

Looks like to company my wife works for (who want her to move) will sponsors us all expenses for a eek over there to see if we like it.

If I can't get onto any nice roads and go fast with the bike may go for a jet ski instead!

• 3 weeks later...