Provisional Licence query

Hi folks,

I'm about to embark on my Theory and CBT prior to my main training/tests. I have a 27 year old pink paper licence with Car (group A) and Moped (group E).

Does this work as motorcycle provisional for DAS or do i need to swap it first ?

I was trying to avoid being without it so i can get my theory and CBT done asap. There seems to be some contradictory advice around depending on where you look.

Anyone know the deal for us middle aged learners ?

Thanks in advance.

Your current driving licence acts as your provisional to be able to do the CBT but when you pass your mod2 test you will have to send the old licence away and change if for the newer 2 part photo version.

:cheers:

Hi folks,

I'm about to embark on my Theory and CBT prior to my main training/tests. I have a 27 year old pink paper licence with Car (group A) and Moped (group E).

Does this work as motorcycle provisional for DAS or do i need to swap it first ?

If you have an old-style paper licence, you must take your signed driving licence and a valid passport when reporting for test (Theory, Mod 1 and Mod 2). Not sure about CBT but would imagine the same restriction applies. If you have no passport, your only option is to get a photo licence.

double check on the theory part as someone brought it up not so long back on here that if you have moped on your licence you dont need to do your theory you can just do cbt and tests! or something along them lines

I cant remember who it was but if I find it I will post it up

they even rang DVLA to check too so if you can hold off booking the theory till you check that out it could save you a few quid

double check on the theory part as someone brought it up not so long back on here that if you have moped on your licence you dont need to do your theory you can just do cbt and tests! or something along them lines

I cant remember who it was but if I find it I will post it up

they even rang DVLA to check too so if you can hold off booking the theory till you check that out it could save you a few quid

Strange. I passed my driving test in 1995 and pretty sure I had moped (under 49cc) entitlement but had to do the theory test to do my bike licence in 2010.. :?

Strange. I passed my driving test in 1995 and pretty sure I had moped (under 49cc) entitlement but had to do the theory test to do my bike licence in 2010.. :?

yeah I thought you had to for all tests now but according to the thread I posted above you dont!!

But like I say check it out first

Hi Stu,

Yes, i did see that thread but i passed my car test in 86 before the CBT or the Theory tests were introduced.

Have a recent passport too so no worries with that.

I'm wondering now if i wont be better to get the updated photocard licence first as i believe there's no additional cost adding an entitlement but i'm not sure what the crack is with photos. Surely if i update now and add bike later if/when i passed my test they may not need a new photo, but if i did the replacemnt/upgrade at the same time would that mean i have to send photos or could they still use the electronic ones from the passport office ?

Woohoo,

Did my Theory this morning and got 49 out of 50 for the multi choice and 63 out of 75 for the hazard perception. Seems the only question i got wrong in the first part was one i flagged about tread depth and went back to. Shame i didn't have the balls to change my mind on that question.

Did all my reading up from the latest Official DSA Theory Test for Motorcycles book (2013 edition)

Now for the CBT and practical tests.

1 step closer :D

Cheers,

Just contacting my local approved training centre now to see when i can get the CBT sorted.

Might have to go skid lid shopping to celebrate :)