Kymco Hipster 125cc - running problems

Miss Meg

ooh pretty colours..

Sorry on to buisiness..

Can anyone help me out? The electric start will NOT work (when it previously did), and the kick start is being a pain in the ass, started cut out, started again rode for a couple meters and cut out again (was holding clutch in and accelerating [to keep revs up]) and now she wont start at all. Last time I rode her she was fine, but this was around about a week ago.. so any help

Thanks, Miss Meg

Welcome to the Forum Mystic Meg........ 8-)

Sounds to me like your battery is flat.......and maybe the charging circuit on the bike needs looking at.....or more likely the battery is stuffed...... :wink:

Try bump starting that usually rules out wether it's a dead battery or not.

How long exactly had you left it sitting?

:stupid: how do you bump start a bike? run with it and keep trying to start it? I'll try that when I can get a friend to give me a hand (don't want to drop her)..

Left her sitting for a 10 days max. She's been left sitting for longer over the winter without being started and was fine.

Tango, thank you I will try that soon as my mum comes by with a battery charger on weds..

Try bump starting that usually rules out wether it's a dead battery or not.

How long exactly had you left it sitting?

:stupid: how do you bump start a bike? run with it and keep trying to start it? I'll try that when I can get a friend to give me a hand (don't want to drop her)..

Left her sitting for a 10 days max. She's been left sitting for longer over the winter without being started and was fine.

Tango, thank you I will try that soon as my mum comes by with a battery charger on weds..

Erm you put it into second gear, hold the clutch in get a bit of a run with it and let go of the clutch.

I'm not sure on how long petrol can sit in the carb before going off, maybe someone else could say.

Bump starting won't make a blind bit of difference if the battery is dead

Do the lights work when it's not running? If not that's a sure sign the battery is flat

As said charge it first if it starts then you will need a multimeter to do some testing

Do the lights work when it's not running? If not that's a sure sign the battery is flat

As said charge it first if it starts then you will need a multimeter to do some testing

If it starts while bump starting then surely that means the battery is dead?

If the battery is really flat then there won't be enough voltage to get a spark from the ignition circuit.....and if the battery is sh*gged it can drag down the voltage coming out of the Reg/Rec-alternator...... :wink:

If the battery is really flat then there won't be enough voltage to get a spark from the ignition circuit.....and if the battery is sh*gged it can drag down the voltage coming out of the Reg/Rec-alternator...... :wink:

Ah well you live and learn :D

Miss meg, don't pay attention to me :D

The lights worked fine.. bah stupid bike..

I did try checking for loose connections, but I don't know what I am looking at. :(

And I'm not gonna ignore you, you're more knowledgeable than I am xD...

Thanks everyone, I shall update once the battery has been charged :)

It has a kick start and it wont start using that :wink:

Ah well you live and learn :D

Miss meg, don't pay attention to me :D

Hey Ricky....I wasn't having a pop at you mate.....and it's good that you are willing to assist other bikers.... 8-) Just that sometimes the bike won't run even with bumping it if the voltage is too low for the ignition circuit to work...... :wink:

It has a kick start and it wont start using that :wink:

Hmmmm, didn't notice that :D

I should've read it properly first ;)

I manages to start her to get her to her keeping place, but she wasn't happy.. Pretty sure it isn't the battery.. :-(

The choke sticks on, but that's never stopped her starting..

If I'd read this post before, I would have said - if your lights work fine, its probably not the battery.

Kick starting does the same thing as push starts (ie it turns the engine around without using the push start)

Your problem is you have a chinese bike ;)

personally I would go down the route of something being blocked or it not getting petrol though for some reason.

Does it have enough fuel in it?

How did it cut out when you were riding? Sudden or gradual?

If gradual then there could be a problem with the fuel getting through - that seems the most likely to me, but checking the spark plugs may be beneficial aswel as being the cheapest thing to do, and this will rule out possible HT lead issues.

Im in the middle of watching a film, so someone else can tell you how to check the plugs :)

also the above may not make sense as im preoccupied lol, but basically check the sparks, if all are fine then stick some carb cleaner down your air box :)

thats what I'd do anyway

Hi just a quick note, don't use a car charger to charge your battery it will destroy it! You need a purpose made charger suitable for the smaller motorbike batteries.