Motorbike GPS trackers

Guest Carbonfusion

I don't think its a waste if time , the unit was up sold as a secure fitted well tucked away unit , even got a 2 hr charge for labour as it supposedly needed secure fixing.. Truth is unit was not secure and not hidden well, the recovered unit shows no marks and only a stretched cable where it was yanked out!!

If secured it would not have been able to be yanked out!!

Most likely just cable tied to the rear sub frame. so they just had to snip the ties and yank the unit out.

Your insurance will pay for a replacement bike and replacement tracker, so what is there to gain by taking the shop to court?

Stops someone else being ripped off, also you then don't have to claim potentially losing your ncb. I'm currently doing similar thing for a rusty tank, could claim insurance but i don't want that extra cost for something not my fault.

Stops someone else being ripped off, also you then don't have to claim potentially losing your ncb. I'm currently doing similar thing for a rusty tank, could claim insurance but i don't want that extra cost for something not my fault.

The theft is not the shop's fault. They didnt force the OP to buy the tracker, and there is no proof that it was not installed in accordance with the manufacturers recomendations.

Trackers are not a guarentee that the bike wont be stolen, or that in the event of theft the bike will be found.

So in my view the shop has done nothing wrong. hopefully the solicitor will not rip off the OP by flogging a dead horse of a case for thier own financial benefit, when a fully comp policy with gap insurance would have ensured the OP was not out of pocket.

Where on a bike can you hide a tracker that will take more than 10mins to remove??

There just aren't enough hiding places.

Plenty :3some:

unless they dropped on it straight away the bike would have to had been totally stripped to find it, more than enough time for the police to track it down. To find this tracker thrown onto a roof still active it must have been fitted almost on display. Normally they would not of even known it had one fitted until it's to late - caught.

Where on a bike can you hide a tracker that will take more than 10mins to remove??

unless they dropped on it straight away the bike would have to had been totally stripped to find it, more than enough time for the police to track it down. To find this tracker thrown onto a roof still active it must have been fitted almost on display. Normally they would not of even known it had one fitted until it's to late - caught.

If the thief had a jammer, the signal notifying of the bike theft would only have been sent after the tracker was removed and disgarded away from the bike and jammer.

So by the time the message was received the tracker was already off the bike.

Trackers emit an RF signal so easy to locate with a few quid's worth of detection equipment and if your breaking the bike for parts, there's little need to be delicate whilst accessing the tracker.

Tear off the fairings and tank and the tracker will likely be in plain sight.

If the thief had a jammer, the signal notifying of the bike theft would only have been sent after the tracker was removed and disgarded away from the bike and jammer.

So by the time the message was received the tracker was already off the bike.

Trackers emit an RF signal so easy to locate with a few quid's worth of detection equipment and if your breaking the bike for parts, there's little need to be delicate whilst accessing the tracker.

Tear off the fairings and tank and the tracker will likely be in plain sight.

Joeman the thief didn,t have a jammer and that is clear by first alert and second alert and also the dotted map route taken to the garages where the tracker was removed, i as a rule would go through my insurance but feel strongly that the shop is at fault for not making sure the tracker was secure and hidden and not just stuck in where it could be removed with ease.

I have seen a solicitor and shown him police logs times etc and tracker logs and he believes there is a clear case to be answered!! , even the guys at tracker say the unit was /must have been fitted poorly.

weather you agree is neither here nor there as its not you that has lost out.

The shop as a professional outfit have a duty to supply goods as described, i have had calls from the service manager and the sales manager on the matter and they are clearly jittery about it, do we all stand back when a shop is in the wrong and do nothing .... no i s the answer especially when your spending 14k with them and putting all your faith in them

Wish you the best of luck of course, but just be cautious of solicitors who say you "have a strong case" when what they really mean is "this could drag on for ages and make me loads if money".

Its certainly not a clear cut case. The whole dispute hinges on you being able to prove that the tracker was not fitted in accordance with the manufacturers recommendations. Something the dealer is likely to strongly contest. Difficult to prove either way...

I reckon a good start would be to find someone else with the same bike who had the same tracker fitted by the same shop and ask them to allow an expert from the tracker manufacturer to examine the installation. If that's found to be incorrect then it will strengthen your case considerably.

Good luck mate - keep us informed :)

I have avoided trackers even though it's a little pricier on the insurance. Someone might be able to correct me on this, but I have thought (and this is one of the reasons I avoided) even if the bike is recovered completely undamaged it is listed as a stolen recovered? Which in turn means you get to take a nice hit on the value of the bike as well as it being tricky to part ex/sell on? Much as I love my bike should it get stolen I would prefer it not to come back and tbh it would probably end up with an insurance claim anyway due to damage done when it was stolen/whoever stole it was searching for a potential tracker.

I'm also not keen on the 'tracking' part of them for a number of reasons.

but I have thought (and this is one of the reasons I avoided) even if the bike is recovered completely undamaged it is listed as a stolen recovered?

Incorrect. It will only show as having had a settled claim on it, IF you make a claim. If it's not damaged, then why on earth would you claim?

but I have thought (and this is one of the reasons I avoided) even if the bike is recovered completely undamaged it is listed as a stolen recovered?

Incorrect. It will only show as having had a settled claim on it, IF you make a claim. If it's not damaged, then why on earth would you claim?

Ah, my bad. Seems I have misunderstood that bit.

update from police is no further news and the tracker unit is back from forensics and that has come back clean.

The unit is ready for me to collect and it is like new no scuffs or damage what so ever.

Will keep you all posted on how things progress from here , thank you for all the coms and feedback

• 2 weeks later...

update

insurance are replacing my bike like for like so all the goodies will be on akros etc, they said they will persue 3rd party loses where possible and not to worrie, premium has gone up by £81 so no great shakes..

pick the new bike up on 1st march on a 14 plate

• 1 month later...

Im buying my first big bike next week and before it arrives im going with a almax s3 and abloy 362 chain and lock.

If locked the only thing taking it off will be a angle grinder and it will live on my drive.

I was thinking of wiring a android phone to the bike and moving the camera to the dash however I cant find a app that will take a picture if the phone is moved. that said if anyone knows how to build a app im happy to purchase it.

it needs to be switched on or off via text message and when on it should take and upload location and camera pictures.

then with a little modding you have the pictures and location of the thieves even if they remove the unit the pictures are still online .

• 2 years later...

It's a pity to know that motorbikes a such a stolen good. My bike not so new and there is no much insurance companies that will to insure my bike. So i'm also considering to mount a tracker on my bike. I do not believe in alarm effectiveness, thieves just disable the and that's it. But there is secret trackers who locate your bike even after stealing. I think these are more suitable.

• 2 weeks later...