suzuki gs 125

not sure if it is in the right spot so please feel free to move it to a more appropriate section Mods.

bought this little 1997 barn find yesterday to do up for my 19 year old who is at uni and as usual has no money.

i know it needs a lot of tlc but it did start and we had a run around the lot and it seems to be ok.

as far as i can see it needs the following.

rear shocks

choke cable

front brake calliper or perhaps an overhaul.

tank painting, front suspension gaiters (stanchions look amazingly good, no visible leaks)

a bloody good clean, new decals and of course the usual full service.

oh also need a rear top box rack.

now I'm no engineer and rarely get my hands dirty but willing to do most of all of the work myself.

but a bit of help would be appreciated.

need to find an on-line parts list, manual if possible and of course the parts.

and of course the cost is all important.

however, off to a good start i hope as bike cost a massive £175.

20130629_101318b.thumb.jpg.ca6dd4e3c0ea12d927f63aeed809b81f.jpg

20130629_101338b.thumb.jpg.f37fb227e2daa24d3abe0db930435730.jpg

20130629_101358b.thumb.jpg.6b1d679daa74862d97cc847907f6ebb9.jpg

not sure if it is in the right spot so please feel free to move it to a more appropriate section Mods.

bought this little 1997 barn find yesterday to do up for my 19 year old who is at uni and as usual has no money.

i know it needs a lot of tlc but it did start and we had a run around the lot and it seems to be ok.

as far as i can see it needs the following.

rear shocks

choke cable

front brake calliper or perhaps an overhaul.

tank painting, front suspension gaiters (stanchions look amazingly good, no visible leaks)

a bloody good clean, new decals and of course the usual full service.

oh also need a rear top box rack.

now I'm no engineer and rarely get my hands dirty but willing to do most of all of the work myself.

but a bit of help would be appreciated.

need to find an on-line parts list, manual if possible and of course the parts.

and of course the cost is all important.

however, off to a good start i hope as bike cost a massive £175.

I've got one of these tucked away somewhere.. It dropped a valve and destroyed the engine so its owner wanted to get rid of it. I swapped it for a big Mac meal!! Never got round to replacing the engine though..

update.

so far so good.

managed to pick up a pair of rear shocks for £15, in pretty good nick too.

also got usual service items, oh, some gaiters, clutch cable and rear indicators.

only problem now is the front brake calliper, looks shot, so on the hunt for one.

going to do service today or tomorrow, then change the parts. and if i can get a calliper i might even try and get it MOT'd next week (after we have a few days in Scotland). :D

bit stuck on a calliper at the moment. none of the local breakers or parts shops have one in. :?

seen a pattern one on eBay but it doesn't say what years it covers, have message seller but no reply.

any ideas guys.

oh, also snapped the clutch lever, but looks like it was not an original gs 125 part, so off to hunt for one of them too. :roll:

bit stuck on a calliper at the moment. none of the local breakers or parts shops have one in. :?

seen a pattern one on eBay but it doesn't say what years it covers, have message seller but no reply.

any ideas guys.

oh, also snapped the clutch lever, but looks like it was not an original gs 125 part, so off to hunt for one of them too. :roll:

Can you take photo's of the caliper...what's wrong with it?

any ideas guys.

looks like someone has tried to work on it before and made a real mess, the piston is scored and a bit rusty, the pin is bent, the seal, well there wasn't one and my local guy says it is a bit 'floppy'. the pads point outwards at the front so only the back of them actually hits the disc. so we think it will be best to get another one.

any ideas guys.

looks like someone has tried to work on it before and made a real mess, the piston is scored and a bit rusty, the pin is bent, the seal, well there wasn't one and my local guy says it is a bit 'floppy'. the pads point outwards at the front so only the back of them actually hits the disc. so we think it will be best to get another one.

Right....all the piston does is support the seal and therefore can be polished...pins can be replaced/straightened...seal would need replacing anyway..where the pads sit obviously needs cleaning up possibly with a soft file...

All of these things can be put right...

Try to fix and learn at the same time...you've got access to lots of experience and advice on this forum....use it.. :cheers:

• 4 weeks later...

latest update.

bike is now ready for the MOT this week.

have replaced fork oil, but seals intact. new gators, new front brake calliper (old one was knackered), new one only £45 complete.

rear shocks changed, clutch adjusted, full service done.

not done anything cosmetic until we know it is road worthy. not ticking over very well at the moment, but think it is the carb, going to try some redex before i start mucking about with it.

had it up the road (private one of course) and it pulls well in all gears, however front brake very soft, hope it is just needing to bed in a bit (fluid changed). so fingers crossed. :|

well, passed MOT with no advisories, however on the way home it was running very lumpy, which it wasn't. I'm thinking muck in the carb?. I'm reluctant to touch it as i have no idea what to do. any thoughts. was thinking of using some carb cleaner or redex.

could well be muck in fuel line or carb could also be air filter clogged up or needs changing some smaller bikes run the air filter coated with oil and if that has dried out then it stops air flow and makes the engine choke up,if its meant to be dry filter then just check its clean,sorting carb out is easy job on one of them if it needs to be done