can anyone recommend a tent pls?

Thought i'd start another "can anyone recommend" thread. Having seen many of you camping on the rally and checking my hotel bills over the year i am now considering getting a camping tent.

So as the topic says - can anyone recommend smth please and how do you carry it on the bike?

Em, i will be riding with a pillion, no top box and two saddlebags will be full of other stuff. So still not sure how to carry it.

Thanks for the tent advice though :-)

Em, i will be riding with a pillion, no top box and two saddlebags will be full of other stuff. So still not sure how to carry it.

My tent will actually fit upright in my backpack if needed or across the top....One assumes that clothes etc will be carried in you saddlebags?

If its just for the two of you then something light...

on one side on top of a saddle bag if you can :)

Yes, if it is not too big then this might be an option, cheers

Heres one from ASDA that wouldn't be too bad...http://direct.asda.com/Ozark-Trail-Dual-Layer-4-Man-Tent/000938942,default,pd.html?cm_vc=PPCXSLTP

With 2 of you.....plus your bike gear etc I'd recommend a 3 person tent....and something with a porch area for leaving wet gear if necessary...... :wink:

We have a Vango Beta 350.....which fits on the bike OK......well, fits on Mandy's bike OK...... :lol: :lol:

http://www.vango.co.uk/adventure/beta-350xl.html

Only 6.75kG.......which isn't too bad for a tent of this size.....and folded down it's fairly compact......could strap across the cissy bar?..... 8-)

I have a top box so might not be the most helpful information but I do a sleeping bag in one pannier, a pillow in the other, self inflating sleeping mat and the tent strapped to the back seat with rok-straps.

For tents I've always liked Vango. Used to have the 3 man Tempest which was fantastically light and packed small, now we've got the Omega 3 man as it's got a decent sized porch for all our gear.

if you want to pillion and camp, why not look at a sport rack , I have a rentek one, and my camping gear all lashes to that , ( leaving me room on the rear seat for a tailpack, but in your case that leaves room for the pillion )

you'll of seen 3 of these on the field at the weekend, http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/vango-omega-350-3-berth-tent-p140004?gclid=CLaBuc34jrgCFbMftAod8n8AHg

They are a doddle to set up after the first time, as you assemble it all fully the first time, and any times afterwards you leave the innards inside. it doesn't weigh too much and its not that bulky.

i prefer an airbed, as my bed roll isn't very comfortable compared, but if you are stuck for space a bed roll will take up much less space and weight.

and you will need a sleeping bag, unless you want to take a thick blanket? but then its pretty much the same thing. Hehe.

sleeping bag and a bedroll for me. some do like an airbed but its just more to carry and more hassle in my opinion

Sorry, disagree, an airbed is much smaller than a bedroll to carry, just needs a bit of puff or a tiny pump.

We've got these self inflating roll mats........http://www.amazon.co.uk/Vango-Self-Infl ... +inflating .......which roll up fairly small and are reasonably comfortable for a few nights camping..... 8-)

We also have Snugpac sleeping bags that are rated for fairly cold nights.....and again pack up pretty small......http://www.amazon.co.uk/Yeomans-Snugpak ... eeping+bag

I freaking hate camping! Next year we will likely stay in a room at the farm or the hotel that you and your other half stayed in! I find with camping I am always either too hot, too cold, even airbeds aren't that comfortable, poncy blow-up pillows are annoying, I feel claustrophobic, there's hardly any space for your stuff, you can't stand to get dressed, no shower, so much more shite to carry on the bike, rah rah rah! And you won't have much space to fit it all on with a pillion too. I would stick to the hotels/b&b's!

I'm not very 'outdoors-y'!! I like my creature comforts too much :mrgreen:

self inflating mats here too, though I get away with a tiny 3/4 size one which saves on space lol...as for pillows...forget camping ones, we carry proper full size pillows..one each , takes up a whole pannier each , but worth it

This is how we do it!