Jump to content
  • Sign up now

    Registration is quick and easy 

Applied for Bike license, not sure what I have

Guest ShocK

Recommended Posts

I have a full car driving license, passed 1996 (ridden mopeds and 125s between 1981 - 1986? ish until license revoked for not passing CBT within 2 years; not sure if this is relevant) Recently applied for 125 bikes to be added to my license with the intention of taking the CBT and getting back on a bike.

The new license, paper and ID card has these details on it:


Does this entitle me to ride a 125 after CBT? I thought I needed A1?

On the paper part of the license under Provisional entitlement I have A and GH

Bit confused here :? Anyone shed any light? Cheers.

btw: Just found this forum, great site :)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Are you sure you have "A" on your licence? - that would be a full bike licence

I have an A on the paper license, A on the front of the plastic ID thingy - on the back though I have dates by the A but in column 12 I have 79(tri), not 44(6), 01. Is that the anomaly?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

the older licenses had different group letters

A was manual car

B was automatic car

there's a thread on here somewhere with a scan of my old licence showing the groups

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Ahh I see, thing is though is the leaflet that came with it explains all the letters with what they mean now, I got a feeling this is a cock up by the DVLA - I've been planning CBT, 125, direct access test and full license.

Now I'm starting to think I have a full bike license limited to a trike under a certain power (which might include a 125 bike?) Might be best to ring DVLA up, although another part of me says keep ya mouth shut and take the license if it is a full license :wink:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Has to be down to what the bit in column 12 means then, I have 79(tri), not 44(6), 01 like it is on this image

Ok thanks, I'll phone DVLA up and ask.


we had this before - read this thread:


Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks yeah, that link confirmed what the DVLA just told me on the phone. If you apply/renew your license and tick the box for motorbikes, you get an A for a full license with the restrictions on it in the last column on the back of the license ID, in my case, restricted to a trike. I presume 44 would mean only in the UK (like in the image)

First glance though and It's fairly easy to think you have a full bike license as it says A on the front of the ID, no asterisk or anything to say with limits.

Cheers all.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Create New...

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy Guidelines We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.