Armour vs clothes with Armour

Hi all,

Ok, I would really like to protect myself on the bike, but not sure which direction to start spending....

Full body armour VS clothes with armour

My riding will be purely social/pleasure and not commuting so practically is not too much of a concern.

Any advice from the experienced/pros? :)

Thanks

I think the body armour you're referring to is an accompaniment to proper clothing, not a replacement. The biggest enemy is the slide you will have along the road if you have an off. even a minor off - wearing the wrong gear will see you with months of recovery time, if you survive at all!

get yourself along to J&S or other local gear shop and have a look around. There might be a special on some gear.

you need:

jacket

trousers

boots

gloves

helmet

textiles are excellent and can be worn all year round. they're very comfortable and offer decent abrasion resistance.

I use the RST slice stuff. I ride year round in it and it keeps me warm in the winter and cool(ish) in the summer. it keeps me dry in the wet. the jacket was £100, as were the trousers (they zip together forming an excellent weather barrier). gloves - cheap pair of J&S ones, but replacing shortly. the boots are a pair of RST weather resistant and are very comfortable.

the helmet is really up to you and your budget. better helmets are generally lighter and reduce wind noise - generally. They should be about as safe as one another - but some are much better than others. There's a govt website with sharps ratings for durability.

I think the body armour you're referring to is an accompaniment to proper clothing, not a replacement. The biggest enemy is the slide you will have along the road if you have an off. even a minor off - wearing the wrong gear will see you with months of recovery time, if you survive at all!

so what your saying is you will die if you dont have the right gear even in a minor off? yeah ok :lol:

you need:

jacket

trousers

boots

gloves

helmet

No you dont NEED! the only thing you NEED is the helmet

the rest is optional

as to how protected you want to be is to what you buy

me personally I wear leathers gloves boots and helmet all the time

you have to think what is going to suit you and your needs

if you want to be comfortable off the bike as well as on it then textile is probably your best best

if you are just going to be doing weekend blasts I would go leathers

also remember just because it costs more it doesnt mean its the best!

a set of hein gericke £300 leathers did better in tests then a set of alpinestars £1800 leathers

as mentioned above RST is good stuff I have tried and tested it and it puts up a good fight before giving up

your budget is the most important part really

so what your saying is you will die if you dont have the right gear even in a minor off? yeah ok :lol:

you need:

jacket

trousers

boots

gloves

helmet

No you dont NEED! the only thing you NEED is the helmet

the rest is optional

as to how protected you want to be is to what you buy

me personally I wear leathers gloves boots and helmet all the time

you have to think what is going to suit you and your needs

if you want to be comfortable off the bike as well as on it then textile is probably your best best

if you are just going to be doing weekend blasts I would go leathers

also remember just because it costs more it doesnt mean its the best!

a set of hein gericke £300 leathers did better in tests then a set of alpinestars £1800 leathers

as mentioned above RST is good stuff I have tried and tested it and it puts up a good fight before giving up

your budget is the most important part really

Maybe over sensationalised the Minor off, but its going to hurt a lot more!

Please replace the word need with should get:

Legally, you're obliged to wear a helmet and something to cover your tallywhacker, but unless you're well covered, the police may take a dim view and elect to "educate" you.

As said, its entirely up to you, but in my opinion, skin is more important than a few quid.

I am new to biking a so far feel really vulnerable!! Used to travelling the roads in a cage on wheels!!

Therefore, I really would like to sort out full protection.

I have the minimum requirements for riding.

Sounds like I may as well purchase protective bike gear rather than just the armour alone.

As for leather or textile... Need to decide. Protection is more important to me than comfort and practicality so I guess leather is the way to go.

Of course need to consider the cost of all this too.

Consider what weather you're likely to be out in as well. Textiles will offer better weather protection than leathers broadly speaking. But even when in textiles I always take my waterproof over layers for when it's really chucking it down!

I always take my waterproof over layers for when it's really chucking it down!

I just take the car :lol: :lol: :lol:

ahh but a lot of the places we go wont even let you through the gate if you turn up in a car :P

Starting out I think I'd go the Textiles route first as they will offer more flexibility in protecting you from our variable weather over here...... :wink:

Armour can generally be upgraded......so I'd look for good weather protection and also look at Jackets and Trousers made from Cordura.....as this has better abrasion resistance than other materials.....and upgrade the armour if required...... 8-)

If funds are tight check out 2nd hand gear on eBay.....you can pick some decent kit up for a fraction of the new price if you look around...... :wink: But steer well clear of 2nd hand lids though..... :shock:

• 2 weeks later...