Suzuki gsxr 750 k7 major issue

I-AM-THOR

:stupid:

They are only cheap, I got a laser DMM from Halfords for £10.99

You have a K7, not like you don't have cash to spare if you can afford that :lol:

Not really got any just paid for a wedding,new projector,kef r300 and a arcam avr600 so I'm poor at the min.

My main fuse blew 400 miles ago, been ok since. Sometimes they just do.

As I said...they just fatigue over time.....you can normally tell by looking at the old fuse.....if there's no burn marks and the clearly visible sign of a break in the fuse wire itself it's likely to be just time and vibration that's killed the fuse..... :wink:

• 3 weeks later...

The saga continues.........

Right,you were right it wasn't just the fuse but the re/reg wires were melted. so i replaced it and tried the new one. bat was dead but used one of those jump lead machines. stared up no problems. I got ill and didn't touch it for 2 weeks.

So today used the same machine and it worked then it cut out, when i used the machine again my front end started smoking.

getting a bat charger and will take off the front plastics, any suggestions?

drop the headlight lens out if it hasnt got a fairing to check wires inside headlight bowl,if it has got a fairing then chances are the loom will all be tucked into a fairing bracket somewhere so you might need to drop the front sectioni of the fairing off to get at the wiring but it does sound like you have melted part of the loom,there must be other problems likea direct short to earth somewhere you will need to find

It sounds to me like a problem with the stator or associated wiring i.e. a short. I expect the smoke from the front may be additional damage to the wiring loom.

It all sounds pretty serious to me, I would get it looked at by an auto electrician asap.

It sounds to me like a problem with the stator or associated wiring i.e. a short. I expect the smoke from the front may be additional damage to the wiring loom.

It all sounds pretty serious to me, I would get it looked at by an auto electrician asap.

it could be a number of things!

suzuki have a habit of running all power through one wire and the front multi plugs short out and pop the main fuse or melt

also the reg/rec wiring always corrodes if they get a bit shitty which will generate heat on the plugs melting them

they have been like this for years trust me I know :lol:

I have modded all mine to stop this sort of thing happening plus I now get better power supply to the battery and to all the bikes electrics :)

Well, the stator wiring does end up at the reg/rec....at least give me that! :D

Seeing as the op has had a fiddle & now the bike is smoking, I'm just being cautious with regards to recommending any further DIY.

Well, the stator wiring does end up at the reg/rec....at least give me that! :D

Seeing as the op has had a fiddle & now the bike is smoking, I'm just being cautious with regards to recommending any further DIY.

I'm not saying your wrong it could be a number of those things or just one :-)

On which end did the rec/reg cables melt?

Generator end means it's sending way too much power up the line. Rec/reg end means that failed but why? Check the generator readouts, makesure they are giving out the right voltage.

Does the smoke stink of burnt plastic? Or could it just be crap from the exhaust headers from you moving it around. I get WD40 on them all the time and it sends a plume of smoke up afterwards. Get the fairing off and switch it on again, damage is done wherever it is so you may as well find it before it totally fails!

On which end did the rec/reg cables melt?

Generator end means it's sending way too much power up the line. Rec/reg end means that failed but why? Check the generator readouts, makesure they are giving out the right voltage.

Does the smoke stink of burnt plastic? Or could it just be crap from the exhaust headers from you moving it around. I get WD40 on them all the time and it sends a plume of smoke up afterwards. Get the fairing off and switch it on again, damage is done wherever it is so you may as well find it before it totally fails!

It was the generator end.