Got the bug!

grunthorpe

Had my first ever motorcycle experience yesterday - passenger on a 750 :) I got about an hour in all and I was grinning ear to ear for about an hour afterwards!

I have a CBT next week so looking forward to that even more now!

You have road sense, which is useful. Riding is a little different than driving though in terms of safety checks and road positioning. You tend to ride very much more defensively than when you drive as a minor fender bender in a car can be quite a painful spill on a bike.

Don't let any of the scaremongering or "I had an accident" posts put you off. It's great fun, just ride responsibly and safely.

Finally you'll be a learner again! Don't try to do things at the same speed as you would a car. That will come with time and practice. Don't rush things, take it easy and have fun!

I sh*t myself on every overtake on the bike because I underestimated the acceleration he had :D yeah, you have to drive defensively up here all the time, it seems nobody can drive properly

:stupid:

My instructor kept saying to me - remember, you're a learner again now

I think being a car driver helps, as you can read what the idiot in front/side/behind you is about to do from your previous experience. Learning to ride will probably improve your car driving too as you become more aware of making observations and careful with bikes. First thing I said after my CBT was 'Now I've been on the other side of the fence, I know I should be giving bikers with L plates more room'!

Take it easy, build up experience slowly and have a great time! Welcome to the club - its all downhill from here :3some:

Lol...I started bike riding long before I passed my car test and found that when I was driving the car I still leaned when cornering (and still do...lol) and I still look over my shoulders before manouvering left or right...

I still look over my shoulders before manouvering left or right...

But you should in the car as well! Everyone's taught to do a shoulder check in the car but it's become almost received wisdom "it's just something you do to pass your test then you don't have to any more"

Be carefull mate....once you get bitten by the motorbike bug there's only one cure.......and it has 2 wheels and an engine....... :wink: :lol: :lol:

Disel engine concrete mixer?

You`ve definitely been bugged alright. Exact same thing happened to me 7 years ago and I`ve not driven a car for the last 6 years. Would not be without a bike. Rode in this morning, the long way (27 miles to get 7 miles away) and had a blast. FANTASTIC.

Enjoy your cbt and go straight to the full test. :thumb:

I still look over my shoulders before manouvering left or right...

But you should in the car as well! Everyone's taught to do a shoulder check in the car but it's become almost received wisdom "it's just something you do to pass your test then you don't have to any more"

Actually mate I was only taught to right shoulder check when pulling away from the kerb... "mirror, signal, manouvre" for the rest...