Offenders on life sentence and human rights

Zod

Was reading about this in the paper and the European courts has slammed the book on the British justice system for the "Life sentence" and is urging for all those whom have been given that sentence to be released with claims that its against human rights to keep them locked up...

In my opinion they have lost their rights the minute they committed a crime, and if released would they re-offend? That is what may concern some folk...

Of course the tax payer shouldn't keep paying for them to remain in prison, so discuss.

a prison sentance of any duration is an infringement on human rights. fact.

we should look at scrapping such an antiquated and frankly abhorrent, draconian method of punishment. it is fundementaly wrong to imprison a human being with feelings and subject them to such distasteful treatment. we wouldnt cage an animal so why cage a human? restrictions of personal liberty by improsonment is no longer effective or ethical and should be replaced with reward/rehabilitation system. showing compassion and effecting change in the offenders mindset is a much better method compared to simply punishing them.

society has evolved socially and ethically; outdated ideas such as corporal punishment at schools or smacking/punishing naughty children has been justly rejected by modern society. it is know accepted that cuddling your child when they do wrong is the correct, acceptable, reaction. so why not do the same with adult offenders? after all a child who doesnt know right from wrong cannot therefore be blamed for bad behavior, they need to be nutured and loved, not corrected and smacked. the same methodology should be applied to criminals. show them them love and give them reassurance that society wants them and they will not re offend.

just think of the money that could be saved by releasing all those unfortunates from incarseration and closing the prisons. billions of pounds could be freed up and used in far more needworthy areas such as benefits and foriegn debt relief. all of the empty and abandonned homes accross the county could be used to house the justly freedmen. the prisons could be demolished and the sites used for building homes for those wishing to start a new life in our country.

lets stop this barbaric treatment of offenders. lets abolish the draconian laws that impose upon our liberties and human rights. lets embrace each other and show love. lets all cuddle our nuaghty children rather than tell them off.

alternatively..

..we could just electrocute the hundreds of thousands of scum locked up in our prisons and use their charred remains to fill in the pot holes in the roads. the prison guards can work for the immigration services rounding up and diporting illegals. resulting in no more illegal immigrants, no chance prisoner scum to re offend and smooth roads to ride our bikes on. win, win, win.

a prison sentance of any duration is an infringement on human rights. fact.

we should look at scrapping such an antiquated and frankly abhorrent, draconian method of punishment. it is fundementaly wrong to imprison a human being with feelings and subject them to such distasteful treatment. we wouldnt cage an animal so why cage a human? restrictions of personal liberty by improsonment is no longer effective or ethical and should be replaced with reward/rehabilitation system. showing compassion and effecting change in the offenders mindset is a much better method compared to simply punishing them.

society has evolved socially and ethically; outdated ideas such as corporal punishment at schools or smacking/punishing naughty children has been justly rejected by modern society. it is know accepted that cuddling your child when they do wrong is the correct, acceptable, reaction. so why not do the same with adult offenders? after all a child who doesnt know right from wrong cannot therefore be blamed for bad behavior, they need to be nutured and loved, not corrected and smacked. the same methodology should be applied to criminals. show them them love and give them reassurance that society wants them and they will not re offend.

just think of the money that could be saved by releasing all those unfortunates from incarseration and closing the prisons. billions of pounds could be freed up and used in far more needworthy areas such as benefits and foriegn debt relief. all of the empty and abandonned homes accross the county could be used to house the justly freedmen. the prisons could be demolished and the sites used for building homes for those wishing to start a new life in our country.

lets stop this barbaric treatment of offenders. lets abolish the draconian laws that impose upon our liberties and human rights. lets embrace each other and show love. lets all cuddle our nuaghty children rather than tell them off.

alternatively..

..we could just electrocute the hundreds of thousands of scum locked up in our prisons and use their charred remains to fill in the pot holes in the roads. the prison guards can work for the immigration services rounding up and diporting illegals. resulting in no more illegal immigrants, no chance prisoner scum to re offend and smooth roads to ride our bikes on. win, win, win.

Option 2 please.

These as*holes should have lots there rights to even draw breath! What peeves me is that, there are people out there getting paid by the tax man - us!!! Who want to represent them in the first place. They have been found guilty let them rot!!

I shall not argue against opinions here however this is directed at part of what Uk190 said.

In regards to children being hugged for being naughty instead of getting a clip across the ear that is totally different to the adult offenders, by what you are saying there is all adult offenders who are currently in prison should instead be hugged for all their wrong doings? If that ever happened this country would be even more f**ked up than it already is.

No it is wrong to imprison someone or something with feelings yet there needs to be something there between the guilty and the innocent. Sure a prison cell may no longer be the answer so why not stick them all on a ferry and ship them off to some desert island and leave them there? Or as it was already mentioned the death penalty should be brought back.

What else is the justice system meant to do with all the wasters who commit a crime? Bake them a cake and stick a white flag in it?

treat them like the animals they are, a dog goes mad and atacks someone it gets put down. we are still part of the animal kingdom so whats the problem. with forensics being as advanced as they are the fear of putting down a person now who is innocent is less likely as it was back then, why should we pay for them? get rid.

treat them like the animals they are, a dog goes mad and atacks someone it gets put down.

More to the point, a dog that's been badly treated and/or put in a situation where it is scared and knows no better is put down when it should be the moronic owner who didn't handle the situation.

prison does not work. we've had prisons for thousands of years yet we still have criminals. so its not a deterant.

these poor misguided souls who fall fowl of the law just need love and a hug. and compensation, obviously.

All this ruling means is that Home Secretary imposed life tariffs have to be reviewed and can be appealed. To not be able to appeal something is wrong. The ruling does not mean the 40 or so people it affects will now be released. In any case all people sentenced to life get a life licence, which means once released they can be recalled to prison at any time for the rest of their life. Then there are those like Ian Brady who stays in prison for medical reasons for life as he is so dangerous.

I am sorry, but too many people react to news like this by trotting out the string em up nonsense without really knowing the facts. The USA executes the second most people in the world and has similar crime levels to the UK. The time spent on death row and all the appeals means executions cost more overall than life in prison. Then the USA executes innocent people, which we thankfully do not.

Was reading about this in the paper and the European courts has slammed the book on the British justice system for the "Life sentence" and is urging for all those whom have been given that sentence to be released with claims that its against human rights to keep them locked up...

Do you write for the Daily Mail?

No they haven't, they have simply said that whole life sentences should be periodically reviewed.

Seems about right to me.

No it shouldn't be periodically reviewed that was the sentence you did the crime tough, if I get a fine I don't periodically review it for a rebate, all the lawyers will be rubbing there hands together, well I say no legal aid you want a lawyer they do it for free or get paid in bars of soap.

I also as we have had this conversation before some, offenders should be put down it was 100% them.

I don’t think bringing back the death sentence is even a sane thing to say. Imagine if the person you love the most in the world was wrongly accused, convinced, and executed. Imagine how you would feel. I’m not sure but I guess at the least I would be very upset and sad, and at the worst would be hanging from a rope myself. With the possibility somewhere in between of trying to do some physical harm to the idiots who got it all wrong. Deaths sentence only work in situations were perfection exist.

Should people be locked up for ever without chance of parole?? My feeling is no there should always be the appearance of a chance to gain freedom. The period of review should be commensurate with the crime, and should not become an option until 2/3 of the full sentence has been served Also the full sentence given by the judge should be the sentence served not some shrunken version for good behaviour. You want out early then be good work hard attend any therapy/traning/learning you have to, and when ready try for parole. And the Parole process should become subject first to review by the authorities making sure the person isn’t mental etc.. , but also the views of the victim or victims family should also be taken into account. Further more parole should be a “Reward” not a right.

Should we fund the prisons well it we want to be safe and have bad people locked up yes. But why don’t they make the prisoners work? What would be wrong with getting them to plant spuds or make work clothes etc.. At the very least the cost of running the prisons would be reduced because the goods to run they system could be furnished from with it. Get them maintaining roads well trails (im not talking about laying tarmac down) actually use chain gangs. The worst that would come from this if the wrong person was convinced would be a some chafed skin, a stronger back, and heather lifestyle, and who knows a little knowledge. Again this should be a reward otherwise you are only allowed out to eat and wash.

Prisoners should be able to study to get a qualification or skill, but not a degree unless they pay for it themselves from there own/family money. But a little bit of thought should go into you wouldn’t want a bank robber studying to be a locksmith (not that a lot of the good ones are poacher turned gamekeeper), or a murder becoming a embalmer etc..

Should prisoners be allowed to have playstaions and tv? No I don’t see why, though books are ok . They are being punished if they want a little bit of reward get out and work or learn, but don’t just sit their eating and being a drain on society.

I think the death penalty is appropriate in cases which have a clear guilty party, the link below is such a case. this murderous prick is getting 32 years in prison for stamping to death a 77 year old blind woman. the f**ker should be put to death, why would anyone want someone like this to have a chance at walking the streets again?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/crime/10153002/Burglar-stamped-on-face-of-retired-actress-and-killed-her-in-her-home.html?fb

Do you write for the Daily Mail?

No they haven't, they have simply said that whole life sentences should be periodically reviewed.

Seems about right to me.

No I write for planet Zod actually, they pay better than the daily fail.

I think the life sentence shouldn't get reviewed at all why? Its a life sentence for a reason, should they axe it most or if not all would only re-offend and wind up back in prison anyway so what would the point be?

If they want an alternative then bring back the death penalty but oh wait again the European courts will review that and cry about human rights some more.

The British system are lying in bed with them and playing bitch and have done for long enough, its about time we left the EU.

I think the death penalty is appropriate in cases which have a clear guilty party, the link below is such a case. this murderous prick is getting 32 years in prison for stamping to death a 77 year old blind woman. the f**ker should be put to death, why would anyone want someone like this to have a chance at walking the streets again?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/crime/10153002/Burglar-stamped-on-face-of-retired-actress-and-killed-her-in-her-home.html?fb

That was pretty much the argument for it when I started the debate recently on the death penalty, I did go further and state it was for child atrocities where we know 100% it was them.

2 recent cases spring to mind.

We also know this will split opinion.

The problem with the death penalty would be the reluctance of juries to convict on a charge of murder, particularly after a high profile miscarriage of justice such as the conviction of the Birmingham Six, to name one of many cases. Even the clearest case can be muddied by a clever defence barrister and this was known to be a problem while execution was still on the statute books. Modern forensics are by no means foolproof either, because your DNA might be found at the scene of a crime does not mean it was you who actually did it.

And as pointed out, the cost of appeals etc can be higher than locking someone up for life.

And as pointed out, the cost of appeals etc can be higher than locking someone up for life.

Just stop the appeals process ;)

When was the last miscarriage of justic in a child murder case?

I believe but maybe wrong the last person released of high profile nature due to apparant miscarriage of justice was Jill Dandos ahem murderer, but yeah I can see why it could be deemed a non starter, but i would like to see which way a public vote went. It may even just hinge how high public tensions are at the time.

I don’t think bringing back the death sentence is even a sane thing to say. Imagine if the person you love the most in the world was wrongly accused, convinced, and executed. Imagine how you would feel. I’m not sure but I guess at the least I would be very upset and sad, and at the worst would be hanging from a rope myself. With the possibility somewhere in between of trying to do some physical harm to the idiots who got it all wrong. Deaths sentence only work in situations were perfection exist.

Should people be locked up for ever without chance of parole?? My feeling is no there should always be the appearance of a chance to gain freedom. The period of review should be commensurate with the crime, and should not become an option until 2/3 of the full sentence has been served Also the full sentence given by the judge should be the sentence served not some shrunken version for good behaviour. You want out early then be good work hard attend any therapy/traning/learning you have to, and when ready try for parole. And the Parole process should become subject first to review by the authorities making sure the person isn’t mental etc.. , but also the views of the victim or victims family should also be taken into account. Further more parole should be a “Reward” not a right.

Should we fund the prisons well it we want to be safe and have bad people locked up yes. But why don’t they make the prisoners work? What would be wrong with getting them to plant spuds or make work clothes etc.. At the very least the cost of running the prisons would be reduced because the goods to run they system could be furnished from with it. Get them maintaining roads well trails (im not talking about laying tarmac down) actually use chain gangs. The worst that would come from this if the wrong person was convinced would be a some chafed skin, a stronger back, and heather lifestyle, and who knows a little knowledge. Again this should be a reward otherwise you are only allowed out to eat and wash.

Prisoners should be able to study to get a qualification or skill, but not a degree unless they pay for it themselves from there own/family money. But a little bit of thought should go into you wouldn’t want a bank robber studying to be a locksmith (not that a lot of the good ones are poacher turned gamekeeper), or a murder becoming a embalmer etc..

Should prisoners be allowed to have playstaions and tv? No I don’t see why, though books are ok . They are being punished if they want a little bit of reward get out and work or learn, but don’t just sit their eating and being a drain on society.

but making them work for their keep, working in a chain gang, taking tv/xbox etc away from them would infringe their human right to live as they would outside the prison while still being confined.

they also are already able to gain qualifications while in prison.

Just stop the appeals process ;)

When was the last miscarriage of justic in a child murder case?

I believe but maybe wrong the last person released of high profile nature due to apparant miscarriage of justice was Jill Dandos ahem murderer, but yeah I can see why it could be deemed a non starter, but i would like to see which way a public vote went. It may even just hinge how high public tensions are at the time.

Sally Clark

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sally_Clark

She was one of a number of people who suffered because of spurious evidence by a supposed professional Professor Sir Roy Meadow.