Honda CBR125 R gearbox issue

NooBish-AbbZ

It can be difficult to find neutral, bouncing between 1st and 2nd and twice this afternoon while trying to find neutral the bike has locked in 1st gear. I'm moving the gear lever up but it seems as if it's being blocked by something and goes into neither 2nd nor neutral.

2nd time i was trying for about 5 minutes so i just turned the engine off in first and then put it in neutral with just the ignition on, which was no problem, straight into neutral???

I'm an expert on these :lol:

Adjust the clutch first

Also does it seem to get worse as the bike warms up?

i think so yeah. All i've been doing today is clutch control in the back garden, going up the garden then walking it back, going up the garden etc. but yeah it's happened after the bikes been on for a few minutes

Just check how much free play you have at the lever......if the cable is too loose the clutch won't disengage fully and drag....making it difficult to find neutral...... :wink:

No Stu, I've not ridden on the road yet, and @Tango the lever is very loose, a lot of play; I thought that to myself this morning but didn't think about any problems that could cause. Could the clutch not being correctly adjusted also cause the problem where the bike will not change from 1st to 2nd? as if something is blocking the lever from moving up far enough to change?

If there's too much play in the clutch lever the clutch will drag.....which will make gear changes harder....particularly if you've not got the room to get the speed and revs right for changing..... :wink:

Try tightening the clutch cable a bit and see how that goes......you only need a few mm play in the lever....but if you take it too far you could end up with the clutch slipping......so, just keep a little amount of play in the lever..... :wink:

OK.....so it sounds like your clutch is fairly well adjusted.....so it may be just the clutch getting hot from a lot of use and not enough airflow over the bike to cool it..... :wink:

See how it goes when you get out on the open road..... 8-)