problems with my varadero 125 please help

Guest reece_motorbike

Hello and thank you in advance for reading and helping me. I purchased my varadero 125 2001 model which was described as 'perfect' runner and no problems. Of course it wasn't the case and I unfortunately had little knowledge at the time when purchasing it. One of the problems is when starting it (starts up first time now without me having to convince it with a bit if throttle since its last service which cost me £££) the idle speed starts to slow down and it then gets to a point where it cuts out. I tried using the choke but it doesn't help, also when I notice the idle slowing down I then pull the throttle a little and at first it's not very responsive. Once the engine is completely warmed up this doesn't tend to be a problem and I can leave it to idle. I've had an oil change done, new exhaust system, new air filter, carburettor cleaned out, new spark plugs and etc but still seems to be a problem when starting it. Also when holding riding it and I hold it around let's say 5000rpm I get splutter sounds here and there (not sure if this is normal, it wasn't like it before the service and new exhuast system) I also find when it's night, starting the bike and then turning the lights on makes it cut out sooner than usual. Also when pulling the throttle the lights go brighter. This is some of what is going on and wonder if someone can give me any hindsight why my motorbike does this? My mechanic has done a great job so far but it's costing too much and he doesn't really have an answer for why my bike acts like this.

Hello and welcome to TMBF :D

please put your location in your profile :D

The lights getting brighter when you rev is normal,

I think maybe your idle speed needs adjusting upwards a bit.

A lot of small, single cylinder, 4 strokes don't run well on start up,

my Mrs YBR is terrible for a good 10 minutes.

I'd suggest going for a good run on the bike and seeing what happens then.

Is the new exhaust standard?

Is got a motad venom exhaust now, and she's a v-twin engine to of it helps. I did look into the adjuster but when the engine is warmed up it's at its best setting. I don't get hesitation providing is warmed up a little. Though when starting it idles at just over 1000rpm, when warmed up it idles at 2000rpm. Excuse me if it's normal, I'm pretty new to this. I suppose I want it to be perfect really. Thanks for replying

tick over will always be higher while you have got the choke on,it could also be that you are keeping it on for to long and choking the engine that will then take a while to clear again and like rennie said lights going brighter when you rev the engine is normall,if you are worried get your mechanich to check charging voltage tickover should be around the 12volt mark and then at about 4000rpm should be about 13.5-14.5 volts roughly

Just serviced and now not running right? Take it back and ask them to fix it! They might have done something wrong (airbox not sealed, wrong plug, etc etc)