Bloody horrible noise when changing gears!

BikerMooFromMars

Right, Wallie (RantMachine) is gonna get the arse at me for asking this, but I don't want us to have to cancel our weekend trip to Norfolk because of it, and I like to know my hubby is safe of course :love:

Basically his chain is making a real horrible loud metal-scraping noise when he is between changing gears. He has gone thru the Hanyes (which, knowing him Mister Sensible, he would have been pretty thorough), has cleaned and oiled the chain (not Benn-style thankfully! :lol: ), checked its tension and there's no evident problem. Apparently it's done it for a little while, and he gets it serviced regularly - thanks to his very short service schedules - and nothing has been picked up by the dealer either. I've noticed it before but think it's getting louder. His next service is very soon anyway - Saturday next week.

Would massively appreciate any advice if anyone has any idea what it may be...Ollie is working between 2-10pm today so I may be able to delete this thread before he sees?? Hahaha! :lol:

Thanks lovelies

Basically his chain is making a real horrible loud metal-scraping noise when he is between changing gears.

So you mean the noise is when he's moving and pulls in the clutch??

get him to try riding along and just pull the clutch (without changing gear) to see if its related to the clutch.

does he have oil in there??

Basically his chain is making a real horrible loud metal-scraping noise when he is between changing gears.

So you mean the noise is when he's moving and pulls in the clutch??

get him to try riding along and just pull the clutch (without changing gear) to see if its related to the clutch.

does he have oil in there??

But surely if it was the clutch he could check it whilst not moving?..The clutch is spinning all the time the engine is running..just not disengaged until the lever is pulled in?

whereas the chain is spinning all of the time the bike is moving, so no reason to only make a noise from the chain between gear changes...

Not quite....when you pull the clutch in the chain changes from drive to over run so instead of pulling using the front sprocket it is being pushed by the rear sprocket...

Guest Hodgy

Check the sprocket carrier bearing!

If he has a center stand put the bike on it and whilst turning the back wheel see if you can wobble the rear sprocket, be very careful not to trap your fingers!!

Hope you get it sorted :thumb:

Not really helping guys!

Is it during up changes or down changes or both?.......and does it's frequency change depending on what speed he's doing?

I'm sorry but I disagree Bob....working out what the chain is doing and when could be really useful...but it's ok...I'll just stop posting...

Not really helping guys!

Is it during up changes or down changes or both?.......and does it's frequency change depending on what speed he's doing?

This ones all yours then... good luck!

:roll:

it sounds like a loose chain slapping on the swing arm to me. I know you said he checked the tension, but what is it at at the moment?

chains may have tight spots, so it's best to check the tension, rotate the wheel and check it again, rotate and check, rotate and check. that way you will find the high points and low points of the chain. ideally you should set the tension at it's tightest point to stop the chain snapping (which is rare, so don't worry about this) or wearing faster. with the tension set, if at it's loosest point, the chain hits the bottom of the swing arm, you may need a new chain.

Hi, if he's checked the chain tension and its all lubed up that should eliminate that part. A horrid noise between gear changes, look for the easiest first. Chain routing, cushion drive rubbers and rear wheel bearings next. from there its the clutch, which l suspect, it might be a broken clutch plate. Really hope l'm wrong. and that its something simple. If it don't sound right it probably isn't stay safe.

When are you heading up to your mum's place Moo?........I could pop round and take a look in the morning if you want..... 8-)

Before the rain we hope (which is scheduled for 11am accd to BBC weather)! V kind of you - but only if you don't mind and wouldn't rater have a lie in! Ollie says we need some tools that we don't have for it he thinks - which we can PM you with later, (save you having to bring lotsa stuff). He's out tonight at a comedy club straight from work so can't talk to him about it but 99.9% sure he'd say "yes please" too! :cheers: