Honda CBF 125 - losing power?

ScoRpio93

Hey all, got a small problem with my bike, seems like it's losing top end power... it's supposed to go 70ish mph, however mine barely goes 62-63 on straight road lol, just wondering if you've got any ideas what could be wrong with it?

Bike is 09 plate, 4500 miles on a clock

Things I done and checked so far:

Oil change about 500 miles ago

air filter changed few days ago

tyre pressure checked

chain and sprockets seems okay

still waiting for a new spark plug to come

Mine's a 2010 plate and goes 75 max - 70 is its normal top speed tho methinks. How bizarre! I love that my 125 goes faster than my hubby's :wink: :D hope you get it sorted!

Doesn't make you any less crap at cornering though :lol:

I got a friend who got the same model, same year Bike with about 14000 miles done and she does about 70 mph on it. Also she weights let'. Say a bit more than me lol. Can't wait to get my license done so won't have to bother with lack of power in it... Wondering If It's not something wrong with compression :/

there's a pattern here women are generally a few stone lighter and more aero dynamic than men. When my air filter had a great big hole in it I managed 75mph (indicated not necessarily true). now it struggles to get up to 70mph and that's after a service. fuel economy has greatly increased though. The main factor on reaching 70 is the wind I've found. if it's windy you aren't going past 60. on a very windy day I even struggled to maintain 50. this is all with a top box. I am 12.5 stone 5ft 11

replace the spark plug, oil and air filter to get extra umph or if your desperate remove the air box.

yes today was very windy struggled to get past 55. have you serviced it yet?

I got past 65 a few times when not crapping my pants on windy parts of the A11 and A14 (which turns out is most of it) - pretty sure it would've gone faster if I wanted it to but hubby would've been left in the dust, and he was leading the way tbf :mrgreen: :lol:

Yaaay, CBF 125 buddies!! How are you both finding the bike as a whole? I'm finding it a real confidence booster - I prefer the sitting position on it to my old bike, I find it's faster tho Lumor doesn't, it looks pretty good for a 125 - I like it lots and many full license bikers tell me it looks a bigger bike than it is (damn L plates!), no problems with it as yet either.

How often are you meant to service it? Mine's 2 yrs old so didn't need an MOT - has had services in the past but it's pretty much out of the warranty period now. I do basic checks myself, tho I'm yet to open the Haynes for it... :oops:

Mine's a 2010 plate and goes 75 max - 70 is its normal top speed tho methinks. How bizarre! I love that my 125 goes faster than my hubby's :wink: :D hope you get it sorted!

Doesn't make you any less crap at cornering though :lol:

Oooh owww, kitty can scratch :shock: :lol:

I rode a 125 recently, CBR125.

I now see what people were on about, when I was 20 and I had a YZF-R125 I could get to 86mph. I was 10.5 stone at 6 foot 2 so very skinny and light.

I started doing weights and so on and now weigh 13.5 stone, I rode the CBR125 which I know the little lady owner (5 foot 4 and 8 stone) can get to 82mph on, and I was stuck at 71mph.

Plus it has been hot lately, you have an air cooled bike! It is not efficient in hot temperatures in the slightest. So it will be running rich to compensate (or so I hear) and this means you can only use 9 of the 11 mice or so that power it :lol:

it's 11 mice you git. after my service and fixing the hole in the air filter I've added 22.5mpg extra. should be more on the next tank as it was 3/4 full.

I can get 75 when tucking in helmet on tank. but then I look a nob do I only do it at midnight.

Apparently if you plank like those crazy Indians you can get 90 with a few mods. it's called a Honda Stunner there. Ever wondered what the blanking cap on the left panel is? It's a hole for the fuel tap on the carb model.

it's 11 mice you git. after my service and fixing the hole in the air filter I've added 22.5mpg extra. should be more on the next tank as it was 3/4 full.

I can get 75 when tucking in helmet on tank. but then I look a nob do I only do it at midnight.

Apparently if you plank like those crazy Indians you can get 90 with a few mods. it's called a Honda Stunner there. Ever wondered what the blanking cap on the left panel is? It's a hole for the fuel tap on the carb model.

I have no idea what a blanking cap is and haven't noticed anything different on it :mrgreen: . Sod bothering with fuel taps and chokes - effort :lol: - also, I hope you don't mean you had a nest in there?!?!

I hate tucking in that much, very uncomfortable! Hubby says it looks cooler when I do - but I prefer what's more comfy on a long ride, which is usually sitting upright. I'm sure you don't really look a nob when you do it! :mrgreen:

serviced it kind of on my own, with help of my dad who used to be a mechanic, just didnt change chain and sprockets since they are alright still :) and waiting for a spark plug to come.

Would say it was about 500 miles ago

Don't use BP high octane stuff, it is one of the worst premium fuels out there.

Use Shell V-power, my own tests along with Fifth gear tests found it was by far the best for engine power. :thumb:

People argue there isn't a difference, I've published on here about 3 different tests with various bikes, 2-stroke, small and big and even a car and all correlated with Fifth gears results that came out this year :)