Recent calls to enforce the cycle boxes at traffic lights!

Guest loico

ride to work every day in London on yamaha FZ6, I do about 10 miles each way and have numerous traffic lights to negotiate. The reason I passed my test is to guarantee my journey time to and from work and spend less time commuting and of course the thrill of riding a big bike!

I am like all the other riders I have spoken to NOT HAPPY with the situation with the enforcement of these oversized cycle boxes. There is no need for it to span the whole width of the road and leaves motorcyclists in a tight spot when filtering through traffic and coming to a red light with one of these football pitch sized cycle boxes.

My aim by posting this is to gather numbers and ideas on how to petition this to the governing bodies and maintain safety for ALL road users and not go OTT with the poor cyclists that let's face it rarely stop at red lights anyway!

If anyone knows how to start lobbying for a change please reply to this post.

I will start and finish this just need pointing in the right direction.

Many thanks for reading, safe riding!

It is poor isn't it!?

I manage to use one or two that don't seem enforced. Cyclists are the slowest on the road, they don't even get off the line quickly and mostly they don't stop for red lights.

My argument is on the V5 of every bike it will be listed as a Bicycle. I've had a plod on the path have a chat to me about me being in the cycle lane on the left as I filtered up. Perhaps we should all write to the same council?

I agree that the asl leaves motorcyclists in a sticky spot, behind slower moving cyclists, yet between cars. They're poorly thought out and motorcyclists should be allowed to use them.

:stupid:

Pretty much..

I mean it's a question of common sense and safety. The police and non riders will argue that we need to sit behind cars and join the queues like all 4 wheeled vehicles but the reality is once you are confident with filtering safely you are going to get to the front of the queue at a red light but have no legal position to wait for green.

I used to cycle in London for 12 yrs, never would I position myself in front of a motorised vehicle let alone in the far right side of the road when you are going straight on it just doesn't make any sense and you are just going to piss every one off behind you! Some traffic lights are so short on green that you can end up (if in a car) watching all the cyclists slowly pull away 6 a breast and be stuck at red again!

I decided to pass my direct access to get a bike due to the increasing amount of cyclists. The lack of road knowledge of the majority of these noobs is frightening they have no idea about road positioning, no regard for their own safety and end up as a statistic! This is what has brought OTT cyclist safety to the forefront of politicians and armchair decision making without any live on road testing just theories lobbied and approved. I want to have cycle boxes at traffic lights split in half for motorbikes and cyclists to share this space. I would welcome any suggestions on how to go about the undoubtedly lengthy process of convincing the governing body that can make this a reality.

Again many thanks for your input.

Safe riding

I'm on this! This is where it starts :up:

epetition it is will post a link to it once compiled please share it make some noise not layin down on this one...

I'm sorry, but quit your whining. There are more vulnerable people on our roads than motorcyclists you know? This is an area to keep them safe.

Heres an idea too, stop behind the lead car so you arent racing anyone off the line. Thats what the highway code tells us to do, or at least implies that we should do (I cant remember exactly where, but I'm sure I can find it if you want?)

Also, according to a local cop, stopping at the front is illegal because a soon as the light turns green, technically you are racing the lead car off the line.

I think that most people seem to think that because they have bikes, this automatically means they have the right to be in front of everyone else. It doesnt.

We are lucky enough to own vehicles small enough to slip through gaps in traffic, but that doesnt mean we need to go off on one when we can't get to the front...

I'm sure I'm going to sound like a right c*nt saying this, but you sound like kids throwing your toys out of your pram. At the end of the day, you win some, you lose some, y'know? No need to get so worked up about it that you start a petition about it, just wait a couple of extra seconds until its safe to overtake.

I'm sorry, but quit your whining. There are more vulnerable people on our roads than motorcyclists you know? This is an area to keep them safe.

Heres an idea too, stop behind the lead car so you arent racing anyone off the line. Thats what the highway code tells us to do, or at least implies that we should do (I cant remember exactly where, but I'm sure I can find it if you want?)

Also, according to a local cop, stopping at the front is illegal because a soon as the light turns green, technically you are racing the lead car off the line.

I think that most people seem to think that because they have bikes, this automatically means they have the right to be in front of everyone else. It doesnt.

We are lucky enough to own vehicles small enough to slip through gaps in traffic, but that doesnt mean we need to go off on one when we can't get to the front...

I'm sure I'm going to sound like a right c*nt saying this, but you sound like kids throwing your toys out of your pram. At the end of the day, you win some, you lose some, y'know? No need to get so worked up about it that you start a petition about it, just wait a couple of extra seconds until its safe to overtake.

well said :wink:

That's a load of bull. Ask the copper what the difference is between lane splitting on the rest of the road, compared to lane splitting at the front of the queue.

Racing would imply that both parties are knowingly attempting to out accelerate each other, which wont be the case as no communication takes place between the driver and rider.

there is no law preventing you using the superior acceleration of a bike to get up to the speed limit, and since lane splitting is legal, your doing nothing wrong by filtering to the front.

Just dont cross the while line whilst the light is red else its 6points for jumping the light ;)

Morning all,

I have submitted an epetition as promised it's a start, please share it via your networks if you believe it to be reasonable?

Best

Loic

http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/53604

Just signed it.

I don't mind admitting that I sometimes use the ASL when I'm on my motorbike. I always use them on the bicycle, but I keep left.

When I'm cycling, I don't mind motorbikes beside me in the ASL (gives me a chance to check out what they're riding! :lol:).

Similarly, 99% of cyclists don't mind me sitting beside them in the ASL on my motorbike.

There is, however, a small but highly vocal "militant" contingent among cyclists (typically dressed from head to toe in lycra) who are a pain the arse and who have a go at me for being in the ASL. I once had one of these f**kers shout at me and then deliberately put his bicycle right in front of me to "teach me a lesson" for being in the ASL. My reasoning along the lines of "I'm a cyclist too" (and I cycle just as fast as you, but I don't feel the need to dress like a condom) and "I'm not causing you any inconvenience" didn't seem to wash with him ...

Signed, i never go directly to the front and stay a car or 2 behind but agree this would be safer and i would happily move to the front of the line if this safety measure was legal