Didn't pass the CBT

So did my CBT on Sunday, didn't achieve the required standard, so he couldn't issue me the certificate. I was thinking too much about what I was doing and getting confused with the gears/slow clutch control and so I agree I wasn't ready, even if I had of passed I would have wanted more training before I go out on my own. But the problem is, there was two of us doing our CBT and the instructor was really rushing us, conveniently he was going on holiday the same day (after the CBT I assume) and he even cut our day short, from 9 am to 4:30 approx to 3PM dead, and then said I would have to come back for more training at a price of £20 / hour . Even worse, because he is on holiday, I cannot get in contact to even book these lessons. I'm pretty annoyed to be honest. I was wondering if it's possible to complete my CBT elsewhere without paying the full CBT price?

Hey Jarred...

Sorry you didn't pass!! :-( I don't beleive you'll get a discount going to another school to complete the C.B.T unless it's part of the same chain...

But if you didn't get on with your instructor it might be worth you trying a second choice just to give you a bit more of an overview? The next guy/girl might be a more-suited teacher for you!

Good luck!

Hey Jarred...

Sorry you didn't pass!! :-( I don't beleive you'll get a discount going to another school to complete the C.B.T unless it's part of the same chain...

But if you didn't get on with your instructor it might be worth you trying a second choice just to give you a bit more of an overview? The next guy/girl might be a more-suited teacher for you!

Good luck!

I'm OK with not passing, I'd prefer to be fully competent before I start going 30mph on the thing, my road sense is already pretty decent as I've been cycling on roads for the past year to college/work, it was just the bike controls/clutch that I was struggling with. The school just sent me a message saying I have a lesson booked on Friday with a different instructor, I'll be sure to mention that the previous lesson was cut an hour short so I wont be paying £20 for the first hour :D

all the schools I priced up cbt with charged the same price whether you did it in a day , or had to come back for a 2nd try...seems rather unfair to charge you if the instructor didn't even give you the time you had paid for

all the schools I priced up cbt with charged the same price whether you did it in a day , or had to come back for a 2nd try...seems rather unfair to charge you if the instructor didn't even give you the time you had paid for

I haven't found a single school where I live that allow you to go back for further training free of charge. However, I will be sure to let my next instructor know that I didn't get the full time allocated previously.

THIS!

It is not 'Compulsory basic Test' it is 'Compulsory Basic TRAINING'. It is not meant to be a pass/fail situation. If they feel you need a bit more then fine, but it is not a fail and they should not be charging more.

The government just says if you have done this basic training you are capable of going on the road, we all have to start somewhere!

Don't be too disheartened, i didn't get the pass on the first day either and i was like you, i knew i wasn't ready to go out on the road (hell, after the second day of it when i'd passed i wasn't sure) but its just down to practice and its better to pay a bit extra than him just give you the cert and then you go and hurt yourself.

If you aren't happy with his instruction and don't want to wait till he;s back then sure, go for someone else. But you will have to go through everything again as he has to assume you know nothing. With me when i went back for the second day i was only there for about 2 hours, we did a warm up in the playground and then out onto the road after an hour, a different instructor wouldn't have done that.

Well, I went back today for my road test part, we did about 5 minutes warm up on the yard, but I just didn't feel confident enough with the throttle/clutch even now, so I told the instructor I did not want to go on the road yet, (different instructor this time), he said he appreciated me telling him that and he'd prefer I feel confident before heading out anyway and that for a tenna he'll let me do 4 hours more practice on the yard and the 2 hour road test on Sunday. Looking forward to it :D

Stick at it, you'll get there. When i did my cbt there was a girl on it with me too. She fell off doing an estop and was constantly stalling etc. The instructor wouldn't let her on the road, she had to go back for a second day, then a third, then a fourth! At £50 extra per day!

SUCCESS!! After some one on one training with a very nice instructor called Karl, I was soooooo much more confident with gear changes/junction simulation.also managed to do 3 concurrently successive u turns, did not manage one before. Onto the road test, I was doing it with another fella who was renewing his CBT, after two hours I was told I passed with flying colours, with my ownly downfall being leaving the indicatoron after a roundabout! The other fela has got to back as he doesn't meet the required standard. I'm very chuffed and can't wait to get out on my bike!

Nice one. What's the plan now, get a 125 and gain some experience ?

Cheers fella, got my ybr125 sorted, insurance is sorted, so come midnight *when the insurance starts and conveniently when traffic is non existant* i can go out and practice without having to worry about other road users, after gaining some confidence doing that, i can start joining in with traffic to get my hazard perception etc up to scratch! looking forward to it very much

I just finished my CBT too!

I started on a geared bike, but I was finding it difficult, so I switched to an automatic for the road part. I met the required standard, so i'm going to get myself a bike.

It's been nice reading your story!

Well done Jarrod, I too didn't reach the standard first time, but second time I did. Went out and got a YBR 125 and having lots of fun. Hey and im 65, just shows your never too old. Good luck to you and stay safe.

Question, thinking about future tests...........what is the difference between the A2 test and direct access? yes I know I can ride a bigger bike on DA but again I'm thinking of going for a bike with 250 to 350cc. So is there a difference in the tests?