mod 1 mod 2 DAS confusion

Hi Guys,

New to the forum and new to bikes.

Hope someone can clear this up for me. I'm 30 and want to be able to ride any bike i want to.

so i need to do CBT, Theory, MOD 1 MOD 2 then DAS? or is MOD 1&2 the same thing as DAS?

sorry for the retardedness, just excited about all this and look forward to passing different stages :)

Thanks,

Craig

Hi Craig, welcome to the forum!

Yes, mod 1 & mod 2 are the way to get your full licence after CBT. DAS stands for Direct Access Scheme so it is the means of learning in readiness for passing mod 1 & 2

thanks for the speedy reply.

So when i take my cbt and pass the theory I will end up just getting a 125 as thats the max i can ride with cbt?

but i would need to buy another bike to take mod 1 and 2 on? or if i do a course then the centre would provide one i guess?

Oh and what 125 doesnt sound like a raspberry? seriously cant stand that sound. :)

Thanks for the info.

Craig

thanks for the speedy reply.

So when i take my cbt and pass the theory I will end up just getting a 125 as thats the max i can ride with cbt?

but i would need to buy another bike to take mod 1 and 2 on? or if i do a course then the centre would provide one i guess?

Oh and what 125 doesnt sound like a raspberry? seriously cant stand that sound. :)

Thanks for the info.

Craig

125 is the maximum you can ride on a cbt. you don't need your theory at this point.

You don't buy a 650 to do your das on, instead go to a school who will loan you a bike. the instructor will teach you how to pass mod 1 and mod 2 (for a fee) and take you for you tests. If you were going to do it on your own bike, you would need someone legal (and insured) to ride your bike to and from the test centre. or you could trailer it. You would then need to ensure you were fully insured to ride (expensive business pre-license on anything larger than a 125) and the bike was in a good state of repair.

2 stroke 125 engines sound like a raspberry, you're better looking for a YBR125 or CBF125. These are the basic japanese entry bikes and although they're not amazing sounding, nor awe inspiring in power, they are decent motorcycles. I shouldn't worry too much about how it sounds, or what you will look like while you're riding it, you're not going to be on it for long.

"wont have the bike long" well that depends on how quickly i take to this i guess ;)

the hard part for me will be taking time off during days to attend a school. Do they do night courses? i guess night time riding is harder?

Craig

DAS simply means you do your test on the big bike and you get an unrestricted licence directly rather than having to go through all the stepwise restrictions which is exactly what you're talking about and you can do since you're over 24 :) You'll do the mod 1 and 2 tests on a 600 bike. Do it through a school and they'll supply the bike, you don't have to get one (and I wouldn't dare imagine what insurance would be like on one without a licence!) at which point you tear up your L plates and enjoy the bike shopping bit :D

You can very probably find a local school that will do you a lesson a week on a Saturday, that's how I did it and then I had the whole week in between to practice what I'd been taught that weekend. You don't have to do it all in one go.

As for what 125 to get what sort of bike style do you like? Do you want a sports bike? Do you want a cruiser? Do you want a comfy commuter? Or do you not care at this point and something nice and friendly to learn on and get through your tests on?

Loving this site all ready super fast responses. :) i will never get any work done ;)

funds are not awesome at the mo but not bad, so don't really want to spend a fortune on a bike to learn on just to change it. would be nice to get one that i like the look of as well. obviously there seems to be some nice looking sports 125's but all just sound like scooters(unless people know of others that don't.)

I do love the look of sports bikes and thats the way i will be heading eventually.

The saturday option may be the way to go for me, the mrs is going to hate this ;)

Craig

:lol: what's the missus gonna think when you want to go out on the bike every time the sun shines? :lol:

Personally I'd head straight down the das route.........then get a bigger bike once you've passed...... :wink:

Good luck...... 8-)

If you want to ride a proper bike without restrictions, do what I did and go straight to DAS from your CBT and Theory.

The instructor I did my CBT with said I needed a 3 day DAS course which I did. The first 2 days were training and covering test routes and practice for the Mod 1 elements as well as picking holes in potential errors and correcting them. The third day was Mod 1 in the morning and Mod 2 in the afternoon. Some people might like to split the Mod 1 and 2 up incase you fluff up the Mod 1 and then can't do Mod 2 because you haven't passed Mod 1. My DAS instructor does additional training for free if required but test fees would have to be paid for if you fail one/both. My 3 day DAS course including bike hire and Mod 1 & 2 test fees was £500.

I did have prior experience of riding a 125 20 odd years ago for about 4 or 5 years so I didn't start as a complete novice which all came flooding back as soon as I did my CBT.

The beauty of doing the DAS is that you'll have a far wider choice of reasonably priced bikes available to you as well instead of being limited to the high priced 125 market and to be honest there is just little point not doing DAS if you want to get the A category unrestricted license as there's pretty much no easy way to get it without doing the DAS course and using the school loaned/hired 600cc bike.

Think I'm rambling now so I'll stop but I recommend looking up your local schools that do DAS and see what thay offer/say.

cheers Davy, makes sense will look into that route after doing my CBT and theory. I used to ride a trials bike years ago, so not a total noob i guess.

Does surprise me how some people seem to do their cbt and a 3 day DAS and pass so quickly. yet then others say it took years.

Suppose I'll find out how hard it is soon enough. Time to get CBT & theory booked.

Craig

I guess it comes down to finances and time availability and training date availability. I was lucky that when i booked my Theory, they had availability for the weekend in like 4 days time or i would have had to wait until the end of July. Once i'd passed the Theory i was able to crack straight on with booking CBT and organising my DAS course and a week off work (which i was going to book anyway) and everything fell perfectly into place to get things done quickly.

I did about a weeks studying for the theory with the DSA 2013 edition of the bike Theory book and the Focus Complete Motorcycle Theory and Hazard perception tests which i found usefull as i'd never done a theory test when i passed my car test.

If you've ridden bikes before and have been driving a car, i wouldn't think you'll have too much of a problem getting through things fairly quickly. All will become clear if you do your CBT and intend to do DAS with the same company.

got theory booked for next thursday, im thinking the hazard perception bit would be the only thing to catch me out. never had that when i did car test. Do have a app for phone with some hazard perception vids on.

Craig

tmcraig, hazard perception element is easier than you might think. Put yourself in the position of the rider/driver on the vid. When you see that child running toward the pedestrian crossing you would react in real life so react in the vid ... click the mouse!

All they are looking for is to be sure that you recognise a potential hazard and respond to it.

Something to remember too, the actual vids on the test seem to be better quality and run slower than any practice DVD I have ever seen. Click whenever you see a hazard or when that hazard develops into more of a hazard.

Example: you see a zebra crossing with pedestrians walking on the pavement toward it [click] the pedestrain looks back over her shoulder [click] she turns to cross the crossing [click] - you are pretty certain to get into the window from that. A word of warning though - avoid constant clicking just incase! This will flag a cheat because the programme will think you are trying to cheat by constantly clicking and you will score 0 for that clip.

I would advise getting hold of a practice DVD, your library might have one, and go through as many clips as possible but only once each because you will learn where the hazard is and then it wont be a real test of your responces.

Good luck.