Panniers?

Hi,

I was wondering how easy people have found filtering with panniers on their bike? I have a 46 litre top box for my Cb500X and used to have a top box on my old CB500S though I have never had panniers.

I will definitely be getting GIVI panniers but have not decided which ones to get yet either. I have been looking at both e21's and e360's. Not sure which ones would be best with the e460 or whether it matters?

I was also wondering how different the bike feels with panniers? Does the weight have to be spread evenly, or does it not matter. For example if I put my big thatcham chain in one pannier and my waterproof in the other, would handling / balance be compromised?

Thanks!

Joe

I had factory panniers on the triumph trophy a few years ago. ........there's normally a limit to how much you can put in them weight wise. They were no wider than the bars......so filtering wasn't much of a problem. .....but you couldn't cut in too soon as they could catch the vehicle you were just passing. ...... :shock: The trophy was a big heavy bike......with plenty of oomphh. ......so they didn't affect the handling too much.......but could induce a slight weave at higher speeds...... :wink:

So unfortunately you won't know what affect they'll have until you've got them on..... :wink:

My Busa had them, that made it a wide ass bike, a lot wider than the mirrors! Not good at all for filtering. Had no issues with speeds but as said don't overload them brackets are not designed for heavy loads, also its all on the rear sub frame and spring.

Hi,

I was wondering how easy people have found filtering with panniers on their bike? I have a 46 litre top box for my Cb500X and used to have a top box on my old CB500S though I have never had panniers.

I will definitely be getting GIVI panniers but have not decided which ones to get yet either. I have been looking at both e21's and e360's. Not sure which ones would be best with the e460 or whether it matters?

I was also wondering how different the bike feels with panniers? Does the weight have to be spread evenly, or does it not matter. For example if I put my big thatcham chain in one pannier and my waterproof in the other, would handling / balance be compromised?

Thanks!

Joe

Will not upset the balance that much, l've seen the odd guys out with just one pannier attached.

Yeah, cheers for the advice Tango and Chrisb6. I think i'm just going to have to put really weighty stuff on my top box. Although my chain seems secure, its really heavy; one ride to work with it on my back was enough for me to order hard luggage. I think the panniers will probably be mainly for clothes if I'm away for a few days. then I can take them off for filtering to work! Not that it matters much but I do like the look of bikes with panniers and no top box, but my top box can hold double the weight looking at the instructions so definitely have to be that to carry the chain for work!