chain tightening...

Joe4262

My old CB500 used to have a slackness indicator on both sides of the bike swing arm. my new CB500X only has one on the chain side.... just wondering how I make sure the axel is completely even....? is the only way to just count the turns as I adjust...?

I would measure the length of the thread left from the lock nut to the end. Another way would be to use one of these

http://www.davethetools.com/ebay/var/resizes/J%26S/LaserMotorcycleChainAlignmenttool.jpg?m=1296576272

If the chain is straight, the adjustment is right.

you probably want to check wheel alignment. Any haynes manual has a section on how to perform this task (ordeal). or simply take it to somewhere that has lasers who will relieve you of about £25 quid for the mispleasure. if you have a full afternoon, you can do it by the string and wood method (a full afternoon of fannying versus £25) i'm a lazy bugger as well.

you will know if your wheel alignment is out, the bike will tip in one way easily, but not the other and you will feel like you're fighting it all the time.

thanks for the advice all :-) when i get it on its first service next week I'm getting a centre stand put on so I will be able to use it!

On a different note- my dealer said to clean my chain with meths before lubing it.... I have never done/heard of this. does anyone do it?