COMPLETE beginner!! where to begin with test?!

Guest chester1066

Hello!

Just joined the forum tonight - im a complete beginner, have never ridden a motorbike but have always wanted to, Closest I've been is on the back of one! My step father has recently started riding again after a good 15 years and I am eager to take lessons!

I'm a 38 year old woman, with a full drivers license since 1992 (not sure that makes any difference?).

I really know nothing about what the test involves, how much it costs, how long it takes etc?

If anyone could give me any guidance with this, I would be over joyed!! :)

Thanks in advance!

hey,

First off book you CBT and Theory.

If you've been driving that long then the Theory is easy. you will have hazard perception to deal with that is new, but easy enough as long as you don't click loads... if you have an android phone or tablet download Motorcycle Theory test + hazard. That is all you need to pass. includes the hazard perception videos and laid out exact same as the exam.

CBT around £100

Theory £31

do those then think about MOD 1 MOD 2 or DAS.

Craig

Hi and welcome and congratulations on making the decision to get into biking :D

First thing to do is go have a look at geton.co.uk - they're an initiative set up to try and get more people on bikes. When you've had a look around and registered they will put you in touch with a local riding school who will give you a free hour's have a go type session, introduce you to the bike and get you pottering up and down the car park to see how you like it. The idea being that you are then in front of an instructor and can ask him all the questions in the world. The idea from the school's point of view is that you're then right there and can book a CBT with them.

Next step is CBT. Usually a day but can take a couple. It's Compulsory Basic Training, get you to a level where the instructor feels you're safe to be on the road on your own. Usually about £100 (worth asking in advance what their procedure is if you do need a second day. Some will guarantee price x no matter how long it takes, some will say the second day is an extra charge). There will be pottering round the car park, u turns, figure-8's etc then you'll go out on the road with the instructor for an hour or so.

When you've done your CBT you're allowed to ride a 125 with L plates on. CBT certificate lasts for 2 years after which you have to redo it.

To get full licence:

You have to do theory test, even though you've held driving licence for years you need a valid current theory certificate before they'll let you sit the test. I had been having lessons for a couple of months before they said to go do it quick so they could get me in for tests.

The actual test is broken into 2 parts. Part 1 is all the close maneuvers, it's back on the car park again I'm afraid. It's all the same u-turns, figure 8's etc that you've done before. Part 2 is the road ride with an instructor behind you.

It depends how quickly you pick it up or how you decide to go about it as to how long it'll take. A lot of schools will offer an intensive week where you do theory test in advance then go along on Monday morning, do CBT on Monday, lessons tues-thurs and tests on Friday.

I did a lesson a week, an hour on a Saturday afternoon, and then bought myself a 125 to ride and practise on during the week. Doing it like this took me maybe 12-15 weeks from first lesson to first test? And then a couple of weeks between test part 1 and test part 2.

Cost of all lessons and tests? £500-700?

Any questions, anything unclear, just ask :)

Hi and welcome and congratulations on making the decision to get into biking :D

First thing to do is go have a look at geton.co.uk - they're an initiative set up to try and get more people on bikes. When you've had a look around and registered they will put you in touch with a local riding school who will give you a free hour's have a go type session, introduce you to the bike and get you pottering up and down the car park to see how you like it. The idea being that you are then in front of an instructor and can ask him all the questions in the world. The idea from the school's point of view is that you're then right there and can book a CBT with them.

Next step is CBT. Usually a day but can take a couple. It's Compulsory Basic Training, get you to a level where the instructor feels you're safe to be on the road on your own. Usually about £100 (worth asking in advance what their procedure is if you do need a second day. Some will guarantee price x no matter how long it takes, some will say the second day is an extra charge). There will be pottering round the car park, u turns, figure-8's etc then you'll go out on the road with the instructor for an hour or so.

When you've done your CBT you're allowed to ride a 125 with L plates on. CBT certificate lasts for 2 years after which you have to redo it.

To get full licence:

You have to do theory test, even though you've held driving licence for years you need a valid current theory certificate before they'll let you sit the test. I had been having lessons for a couple of months before they said to go do it quick so they could get me in for tests.

The actual test is broken into 2 parts. Part 1 is all the close maneuvers, it's back on the car park again I'm afraid. It's all the same u-turns, figure 8's etc that you've done before. Part 2 is the road ride with an instructor behind you.

It depends how quickly you pick it up or how you decide to go about it as to how long it'll take. A lot of schools will offer an intensive week where you do theory test in advance then go along on Monday morning, do CBT on Monday, lessons tues-thurs and tests on Friday.

I did a lesson a week, an hour on a Saturday afternoon, and then bought myself a 125 to ride and practise on during the week. Doing it like this took me maybe 12-15 weeks from first lesson to first test? And then a couple of weeks between test part 1 and test part 2.

Cost of all lessons and tests? £500-700?

Any questions, anything unclear, just ask :)

Perfect answer!

It's not as tricky as learning to drive a car, at least I didn't think so.