Non Leather alternatives

Guest chester1066

Hi there, just exploring non animal alternatives to biker boots and protective clothing..

I've had a look online and there seems to be a lot of textile based clothes - just wondered if anyone else here is vegan and what their advise would be?

Hi there, just exploring non animal alternatives to biker boots and protective clothing..

I've had a look online and there seems to be a lot of textile based clothes - just wondered if anyone else here is vegan and what their advise would be?

Have a little search further into the Clothing, luggage and Accessories section, there's been a thread on this not too long ago :D

Difference being they weren't bred/killed specifically for petrol (all them years ago lol)

Yep but its not just dead dinosaur juice anymore, now that about 5% is biofuel, a percentage of petrol is made from left over animal fats...

Thanks for the warm welcome Joeman!! Ill ignore that very unoriginal comment.

Ok, thanks Ill have a look at previous threads :)

Wasnt meant to be inflammatory comment, but you clearly took it that way!!

I guess i shouldn't mention all the innocent insects you're going to kill across the front of your bike/visor then should i..... :lol: :lol:

I'm not a vegan, or a vegetarian but this interests me too.

I think the only real alternative to how leather looks and feels would be lorica. Though a quick google search only brings up boots and a few gloves. for a full suit, It tends to be incorporated in with the leathers in certain places rather than all over.

The sidi lorica boots are fully made out of synthetic materials and are almost identical to the leather ones.

you can buy kevlar lined gear that look just like normal clothes, with and without armour. Whatever materials come up in your search though. You want to make sure that they are abrasion resistant.

If your looking for gear that looks like leathers though just stay away from anything faux leather. They may say motorcycle jacket in the advertisements but you might as well be wearing a plastic carrier bag for all the protection that will give you.

Thanks :) Yeah, weirdly enough I saw my friend today - he wears non animal 'leathers' - he had kevlar lined jeans on... :-/ is that normal and safe?

Lorica sounds interesting, and thanks for the suggestions of boots - my stepdad rides and I've been talking to him about clothing - he said that probably the most difficult part of going non leather, would be the boots.

The kevlar jeans are definitely safe, I would stick to the more well known brands though. there are plenty of videos showing how much protection they offer.

I would be weary of what your friend is actually wearing. If its the plastic faux leather not only will it provide no protection, it could cause more damage by melting onto your skin from the friction during a crash.

I had a hunt through the posts on here and couldn't find the leather alternatives thread. I'm SURE it existed...oh well!

I'm a bit of a hypocrite, I LOVE cows, used to be a veggie for years, but I don't eat them etc, but I do wear a leather jacket on mild days and some cheapo £5 knackered leather boots. I just prefer the feel of leather jackets, they feel a lot more like armour to me...so the cows are protecting me?? Haha! I try not to think about the fact a cow died and made me a jacket...!

*PS I don't want an argument about my bizarre life choices thanks anyone...not looking at Joeman of course* :lol: :lol:

I had a hunt through the posts on here and couldn't find the leather alternatives thread. I'm SURE it existed...oh well!

I'm a bit of a hypocrite, I LOVE cows, used to be a veggie for years, but I don't eat them etc, but I do wear a leather jacket on mild days and some cheapo £5 knackered leather boots. I just prefer the feel of leather jackets, they feel a lot more like armour to me...so the cows are protecting me?? Haha! I try not to think about the fact a cow died and made me a jacket...!

*PS I don't want an argument about my bizarre life choices thanks anyone...not looking at Joeman of course* :lol: :lol:

Would you prefer the cow to just die and be of no use to anyone...If they hadn't have been a food sourse the reality is that they would probably have died out...desease etc...

Would you prefer the cow to just die and be of no use to anyone...If they hadn't have been a food sourse the reality is that they would probably have died out...desease etc...

Shotgun Derek-skin jacket!!! :lol:

no argument to be had..

Suffice to say that anyone who professes to be Vegan, yet is happy to burn animal based fuel and kill innocent insects on bikes riding on tyres derived from decomposed sea creatures whilst possessing a mouth full of teeth best suited to a carnivores diet, seriously needs to address their denial...

compromising personal safety by refusing to wear animal based protective clothing is, in my opinion, not only hypocritical, but its also crazy!!

And like all other conversations with vegetarians/vegans, i bet the above comments result in personal insults instead of constructive, adult discussion. :roll: :roll:

Stout, non leather, high top hiking boots would be my suggestion. The aim is to protect your ankle and to limit wear when you change up gears.

Absolfirkinlutely, ever banged your ankle bone on the fridge :crybaby:

no argument to be had..

Suffice to say that anyone who professes to be Vegan, yet is happy to burn animal based fuel and kill innocent insects on bikes riding on tyres derived from decomposed sea creatures whilst possessing a mouth full of teeth best suited to a carnivores diet, seriously needs to address their denial...

compromising personal safety by refusing to wear animal based protective clothing is, in my opinion, not only hypocritical, but its also crazy!!

And like all other conversations with vegetarians/vegans, i bet the above comments result in personal insults instead of constructive, adult discussion. :roll: :roll:

Could make an interesting adult discussion but of no use to the op's question.

Please keep insults out and if possible on topic and helpful....thanks.