Adjusting chain without center stand

RantMachine

Got a big ride planned for the weekend so it needs doing, but my shifts mean that Lou isn't around at the same time to help and I don't have a stand of any kind to prop the bike up. What can I do???

...I know! A horrific combination of garden gate, towel, bungee cords, cable ties around front brake, and bricks under side stand :mrgreen:

20130819_122828_resized.jpg.152604e10f20d62a8c2fd31c029d1300.jpg

(it worked, somehow)

:shock: :shock: :shock:

Just adjust it with it on sidestand :lol:

If it unscrews, you undo the adjusters by half a turn each, and then sit behind the bike and using your feet (of which you have big ones) grab the back wheel, use your feet to stop the bike sliding back and just give it a good tug (giggity), once or twice will do. Check chain tension and if needs be half a turn on each adjuster again and rinse and repeat...

Nifty little contraption though :lol:

I don't understand what you are trying to achieve? Just loosen the rear wheel spindle nut, tighten the chain one flat at a time on both sides until chain tension is about right, tighten rear wheel spindle nut, check chain tension again whilst sat on bike. Job done. With bike on side stand. Simples. :mrgreen:

if the chain tension is too tight loosen the spindle nut and adjusters then step down on the chain. This will pull the wheel back and give some slack to the chain. As taught to me by Alan at the rally :D

I don't understand what you are trying to achieve?

Keeping the bike upright so I could get to the chain properly, because the luggage doesn't detach easily and makes the chain nigh on inaccessible when the bike is leaning on the side stand

if the chain tension is too tight loosen the spindle nut and adjusters then step down on the chain. This will pull the wheel back and give some slack to the chain. As taught to me by Alan at the rally :D

Too loose (again) on this occasion, but worth knowing for the future!

Or get a centre stand (These should come as standard, not options )

Centre stands aren't an option they either have one or they don't!!

I have never seen the need for a centre stand I can adjust and lube chains just fine without one!

I do use a paddock stand most of the time but why not if I have it

A centre stand makes everything easy and safe. From draining and refilling the cooling system to swapping out the bearings on the rear swing arm. The weight is minimal and the cost would be less if every bike had one rather than them being an expensive option.