extending gear ratio.

christoph93

So I've got a little 125 ATM which seems to pull nice a strong through all the gears, however it seems to hit top speed far too quickly. It goes strong right up to 60 then can't go any further, due to the limiter, when I know its got more in it. So was just wondering how easy it is to change the final drive in my gearbox? Almost just a cruiser gear. If so any info on where i could get one from would be great... cheers

for the money it will cost to do it its not worth it at all

a cheap fix is a smaller rear sprocket maybe 2 or 3 teeth or a larger front sprocket 1 tooth

doing it this way will alter the gearing of all gears although it may be harder to set off in first gear

99% certain that there,s nothing you can do within your gearbox. Get different sprockets or a different bike.

a lot of guys do it with the TL's and I have known it been done to a few bikes infact I used to work at an engineering company that used to do one off jobs for this sort of thing thats how I know its not cheap :wink:

one off jobs used to cost in excess of £300 with all the gear cutting and hardening process

I sometimes think the bigger engined bikes could do with a very low top gear just for motorway / autobahn gear so you cruise just above tick over sort of thing, but then I'm a tightwad :mrgreen:

Okay so with sprockets, would I need to get one made? Or can I get hold of one from another bike say? Presume you can't just buy off the shelve ha

Yes, with most bikes, you can go to a site like wemoto and it will list standard sprockets, and then +1, +2 etc, so you can alter gearing.

Okay so with sprockets, would I need to get one made? Or can I get hold of one from another bike say? Presume you can't just buy off the shelve ha

No with sprockets you can buy them with more or less teeth

for gears like 6th gear in the box you would have to get it made

If you put a smaller rear sprocket on then you will alter the gearing of ALL gears not just one this means it may struggle to pull away a little but it should pull away ok

It's a restricted bike so messing with the gearing got to be illegal. Better to get your test passed and move on to a better - faster bike. Getting caught speeding on restricted - derestricted bike with l assume a learner licence is going to end in tears. Except the bike for what it is and move on would be my move.

It's a restricted bike so messing with the gearing got to be illegal. Better to get your test passed and move on to a better - faster bike. Getting caught speeding on restricted - derestricted bike with l assume a learner licence is going to end in tears. Except the bike for what it is and move on would be my move.

changing ratios does not affect the restriction, the power is still the same so its not illegal

passing the test is definitely a good idea

changing ratios does not affect the restriction, the power is still the same so its not illegal

passing the test is definitely a good idea

I thought speed kills not power :roll: You learn something new every day!!

So what is the point of restricting power if it do's not restrict speed? New Learner laws CA fuddle me completely lol. Glad l took my test back in the 70's when it was all so simple.

Speed doesn't kill...... It's the sudden stop :mrgreen:

Anyway yeah its power that's restricted not the speed but you need power to get the speed which if you change the gearing too much it would just struggle and probably not even gain anything

With the sprocket advice above he may gain about 5mph maybe 10 if he is lucky

Speed doesn't kill...... It's the sudden stop :mrgreen:

Anyway yeah its power that's restricted not the speed but you need power to get the speed which if you change the gearing too much it would just struggle and probably not even gain anything

With the sprocket advice above he may gain about 5mph maybe 10 if he is lucky

lol Stu yep, you can free fall for miles its only the last few inches that hurts. Back on subject, sprockets are the only but once you over gear it you my never get it in top unless your going down hill.

Not looking for more speed as such, just simply to stay at the same speed I get but without having to keep the engine revving its nuts off unnecessarily. Basicly just trying to preserve the engine for aslong as possible.