So, 15 weeks gone...

Rik398

Thats right folks, other half is pregnant.

So, what about the bike? Well, she doesn't have a driving license, and I need the bike for work so it stays for now (thank god). Don't want to sound selfish in any way, and I have already started a savings fund for the little one to be, but I need to bike to stay human, and luckily other half understands that. Obviously baby comes first. I am currently about to embark on teacher training after getting a first class degree in psychology. Timing is not great but get a £900 a month bursary and only be 3 months with baby and course so not tooooo bad. And obviously got to stay with the teacher training, mainly because the money from the career will help out and also I have wanted to do it since the very start of my degree so can't complain (win win)

But, my main question right now is should I start buying stuff yet? I have about a grand in savings over the last 2 months after saving like a maniac during the last 2 months of summer before uni starts again.

My second question also is, and sounds stupid, but I have been riding since 16 (22 now) and I can honestly say that biking has defined me as a person. My wardrobe is defined by what is bike appropriate, my grand dad rode bikes and I felt a close bond to him when he was alive, and I feel it is the only thing that is unique to me as a person. I proposed on a bike, we had our first date on a bike, so at what kind of age can I introduce my son / daughter to bikes?

Ha, yeah. Understanding that at a fairly fast rate. Guess we all learn it as it comes. Or rather, we do as were are told by the other half and learn to live by it :)

Firstly Congrats! :mrgreen: Well happy for you mate..

For age on a bike I guess it all depends on whether the little one is pestering you from an early age or not :lol:

10 I recon for taking out for decent rides is a good age.. Could do little jaunts before then though :)

Congratulations! Exciting times ahead. I have a 9 month old little boy and I still have my bike, we have no car but manage without there's enough trains and buses to get you pretty much anywhere so it's not an issue.

We started buying stuff before the little one was 3 months gone mainly because it was easier to spend a little every month rather than one big lump sum. We got our cot bed when the other half was 5 months and his room was ready after about 6 months. It helps with the stress as well to get it all done before the later stages of the pregnancy, you never know what it's going to be like some women have a lot of pains some dont. So yes start buying stuff now.

I hope you're ready for the sleepless nights, stinking nappies and screaming!! It's worth it though once your little bundle of joy is here you won't care about any of that trust me.

P.S. Make sure you do everything the other half asks, hormones during pregnancy and men don't mix.

Ha yeah, get a new bike sorted now before its too late... Like the thinking. Maybe I could convince the other half that we need a more 'family friendly' bike. The triumph sounds just the ticket, won't need the pillion space for a while soon enough, and I could try and convince her its more economical. :)

I did bring the sidecar up as a serious suggestion. She seemed less than pleased, though my argument is that it would be better than this:

images.jpg.f3e84425d8f411d29b1dfbdeacd3558d.jpg

I did bring the sidecar up as a serious suggestion. She seemed less than pleased, though my argument is that it would be better than this:

i volunteered to take my niece back to leeds from hull in my tail pack, but nobody thought that was a good (humane) way of transporting a toddler :mrgreen:

my brother and his gf got all their baby stuff before she was born and from my brothers panic when she did arrive, it was a good idea.

also, they decided what they wanted in the nursery and had time to get exactly what they wanted because they started early.

oh, and congratulations :)

Blimmin eck you're young!

Not a negative thing, young parents are more active but financially this is going to bone you!

Friends of mine just lovingly accepted a baby girl into the world and they have things sorted so I'll tell you how they got by.

You need a small, but cheap and good sized engine car. Like a diesel VW polo as they last forever which on a budget helps point money in the right direction.

You can keep the bikes so long as it becomes more of a social thing, kid needs a dad so no dangerous riding for you now. :lol:

Other than that, try to buy in bulk and take any help you can get!

Good luck!

congrats(?) welcome to the end of the world as you know it. :lol:

when youre a parent youll know when your kids are old enough for you to put them on a bike.

i have two sons who are now 9 & 11 and they have had mini motos for about three years. in that time they have ridden them at least twice. they would rather kill zombies on the x-box than ride bikes (weirdos). the eldest is really into watching bike racing and hoopefully he will develope into a biker as he gets older. i suspect the youngest will be too busy chasing girls to care about bikes lol.

Yeah I have settled down in my riding some time ago. Not as mad as I once was, and I generally just enjoy longer distances and taking the long way round more than speed alone.

I feel the car can wait for now. Having said that, I personally would like to get a good 6 months of driving experience in before using it to transport my family. Would like to feel as competent and comfortable with driving as I am with biking (or close enough)

Got some stuff now, got some decent deals online with travel system and bottles, and a biker bib which could not be resisted and will probably be only bike related thing to prevent risk of going ott lol.

congratz....as for how young to introduce them...never too early imho

chira had a battery operated baby motorbike before she could walk ( and loved it)

then again her next big present was a garage full of cars...I guess I never quite got the hang of the raising girls thing , hehehe

oh, and on an aside, being a parent and having another human being totally dependant on you may temper your riding...gives you the ultimate reason to be aware of your own mortality, and will make an even better /safer rider of you .