Bit of advice please?

Guest jsd1g08

Hi there,

I was hoping someone could give me some advice on licensing as I have several options to take.

I passed my CBT in 2011 and had a 125 learner legal scooter for commuting through London, before changing jobs where I commuted via train. I have now accepted another job in London where it will be much more convenient to be on two wheels again.

My CBT has expired and I no longer have the scooter I had before. Ideally I would like to complete my full license so I can drive a more powerful bike, and I was thinking something like a 300c bike may be most appropriate for commuting (mainly on 'A' roads).

I'm 23 (I will be 24 in February 2014) and therefore cannot take the DAS due to the new law changes. Either I can complete another CBT and drive a learner legal bike, complete the A2 license and drive a more powerful bike (possibly progressing to a full license in 2 years).....or drive a learner legal on a CBT and then complete the DAS in February 2014 to get my full A license.

Does anyone know the financial differences of completing the A2 and the A license? I guess it wouldn't be wise paying for the A2 license training and then the A license training in 2 years? Will I inevitably want to upgrade to a full A license in the future or will the A2 license suffice in terms of size of vehicle?

I would like a more powerful bike and be able to take my gf on the back, but I cannot decide whether it would be worth upgrading at this stage where I'm in the 'in between' age.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Jack

Heya, am the same age as you, and I'm doing the A2 license for now then the A next year.. I'm doing this because of size differences and weight differences, and I've been riding now for 7 years and am pretty fed up with it.. I'd personally rather get used to a bigger bike on the roads in general before doing my A license.. no idea if that helps as it's not directly answering your question but either way I hope it does :)

A2 will allow you to ride a decent variety of restricted 500 and 600cc bikes ( depending on the bhp before restriction ) ...so id go that route...you may not want to upgrade within the first couple of years ...but if you do you have the upgrade option to the full A licence later

Hi there,

Thank you for the replies. I guess the A2 licnese is a sensible option and it would allow me to ride the size of bike I would prefer.

Is it me or has the price of licneses gone up a lot over the past 2 years? I assume this may be due to the law changes.

Thanks again,

Jack

You won't have to wait 2 years before you're allowed to do A if you want to, you'll be allowed as soon as you hit 24.

Personally with your 24th being so close I'd go down that route, you're only paying for one lot of tests then. There's nothing that says you can't have a smaller bike on full A licence :) I'd go find a school and start doing something along the lines of a lesson a week. Slowly build up to the test readiness when your 24th comes round. I think you'd have to be on the A2 bike for your lessons for now but the step up from that to a 600 shouldn't be too bad at all.

I would have thought that doing your A test having already been on the road a while with an A2 license it would be significantly cheaper for the second test as far less training would be required.

Personally, i'd do the CBT to get you back on the road again and able to ride a 125 if you want to get back on the road immediately with an aim to doing DAS for the A licence as soon as you turn 24. Do your bike Theory as well so you will be ready to go within the next two years to do either A2/A DAS training/tests.

The cost for the A2 training/tests will be almost identical to A training/tests which ever route you take.

I paid :-

Theory £31 - i think

CBT - 1 day £120

DAS - 3 days including bike hire and Mod1/Mod2 test fees £500

You could just go straight for A2 now but you will always have that limitation/restriction in place unless you go through it all again with the tests on an A bike once you're 24.

I think I would do a CBT now and get yourself a 125 to get to work on and then spend the next 6 months until you get to 24 gaining some road experience. Pass the theory and as soon after my 24th birthday as possible, take a DAS course. You can move up to any size bike whenever you want to and you never have to take another bike test.