Top box and rack

I've been looking into getting a top box for my WR not a permanent one just one I can use whenever I need it, mainly for shopping and to put clothes in when commuting in winter. But I can't seem to find a rack for it, I know they exist because I've seen a post on another forum with a picture of a WR with a rack on with the mounting plate for the top box attached, a quick glance through the post and it was fitted by a dealer so something must fit!

I've tried google and eBay but to no avail, any ideas guys and gals?

Thanks

I've been looking into getting a top box for my WR not a permanent one just one I can use whenever I need it, mainly for shopping and to put clothes in when commuting in winter. But I can't seem to find a rack for it, I know they exist because I've seen a post on another forum with a picture of a WR with a rack on with the mounting plate for the top box attached, a quick glance through the post and it was fitted by a dealer so something must fit!

I've tried google and eBay but to no avail, any ideas guys and gals?

Thanks

You need to learn how to search....took me 5 minutes...http://r.twenga.co.uk/g3.php?pg=VDsyNjc2MzA5NzE1Mjg5NjkxMjMxOzI5NTcyOTE7aHR0cDovL3lhbWFiaXRzLmNvLnVrL3lhbWFoYS13cjEyNS10b3AtY2FzZS1jYXJyaWVyLmh0bWw7YzQ4ZDUxY2ZiZDA2NDQ2ZDAyMDRkNzgwYWEzMDI0NDE%3D&dac=1

Well don't I look like an idiot haha! What did you search cause I put in Yamaha WR Rack and I only got things that had been posted on forums, maybe it's my phone..

They aren't cheap are they! £70 for some metal tubing geez maybe that's that idea out the window.. Would they be difficult to make yourself? The reason I ask is my brother is a welder and fabricator so he could make one.

Thanks again

Panniers wouldn't fit because of the exhaust unless there's a frame with it which is then gonna cost ££'s and I'm guessing you aren't familiar with my bike as I don't have a tank to attach it too its underneath my seat. I was looking at a tail pack but thought a top box would be better storage wise and I wasn't sure about the straps being next to the exhaust.

Honestly I'm not a fan of them either and think they look silly but as I said its practical for when shopping etc, that's why I'd get a removable one so I don't have to ride round looking stupid all the time :D

Hmm, I've run the straps from my tail pack really quite close to the the exhaust on my 636 but it wasn't actually touching - it made it to Paris and back okay!

If you're just doing the odd bit of shopping with it, why don't you just use a backpack? That's what I do. :-)

I think that's what I'm gonna do had a quick look on eBay the nice ones are all fairly expensive but I don't mind what it looks like. The straps won't be touching the exhaust and I did carry my bike cover on the back with bungee cords and that was fine.

If I do get one I'll put some of that anti slip mat on the back of the tail pack to stop it scratching the paint and give it a bit more stability.

What size is your tail pack? And how much can you fit in it?

Edit: I do use a backpack but I can't get much in it so its not much use, also when traveling to my mums I need a bit more room for clothes etc

I dunno what the capacity of mine is, I think it's 30-40 litres. I bought the full Oxford set a few years ago and haven't really used it much...

I don't understand some peoples necessity for taking all their stuff wherever they go - I spent 3 months travelling Asia last year with only a 35 litre pack! :-)

Just been looking at panniers as they're around the same price as a tail pack but offer more space. Would I be able to protect the pannier from the heat of the exhaust using heat shield material like this:- http://bit.ly/X39Phv

I was thinking if I stick that to the side of the pannier then the heat of the exhaust shouldn't melt them, or am I wrong? The other option would be a heat shield plate that attaches to the exhaust with two large jubilee clips but I don't know how well that would work.

The reason I need all the room is I have to take my clothes, the other halfs, and our 10month olds as well which includes nappies etc. if It was just me my rucksack would be perfectly fine as it has been in the past.

I just had a mental image of a baby seat on the back of a bike! :-)

Panniers are made to take a bit of heat - besides which, there's plenty of air flow past them when you're moving along so it's not really a problem unless you leave your bike running whist stationary for hours on end.

I don't think I'd trust other road users enough to stick a baby seat on the back even if I was lit up like a Christmas tree they'd still say I didn't see you!

I presumed they would have some sort of resistance but they will be directly against it so there will be quite a bit of heat, also if there's a traffic jam or some other reason I can't move whilst the bike is running I don't want them catching fire!!

One of my colleagues bought a secondhand seat for his Fazer......and screwed a top box mounting plate to the pillion part of the seat and put a box on that......weight is where the pillion would normally be......has a backrest......and when he don't need the top box he puts the normal seat back on...... :wink: