How permanent are roadside tyre repairs?

Guest cyclistbruce

I got a flat from a small piece of metal in centre of my new rear tyre on my ST1300 last weekend. As I was a long way from home the RAC came out to have a look. The guy did a temporary repair with one of the kits that involve boring out the hole and pushing in a large rubber string with rubber cement.

He said it's only meant to be a get you home repair and also shouldn't be driven over 40mph.

Took the bike to local garage and the mechanic said the bored out hole would probably be too big to plug with one of the mushrooms (think its about 6mm)

So, how safe is it to just keep riding on the 'temporary' repair, and are there issues with riding at normal speeds on it? Or, has anyone had the temporary repair removed and permanently plugged without any issues?

I've used both without issue - I've also found screws in there and left them in without any problems but that's just me. I'm a keen checker of tyre pressures so to be fair, if they had started to fail then I would have got the tyre replaced.

I also knew a guy who used agricultural sized plugs in his tyres and didn't have any problems but then he was a nut case! :shock:

Ive had plugs done by tyre fitters without issue but ultimately its down to your own peace of mind.

+1

and it depends on what and how you ride. would you want a plug in a trye on a bike that you ride hard and often take to very high speed? if you pootle about then i would be happy with a plug placed from inside the tyre in a hole of about 3mm. the legal size for permanent repair.

those temp reapirs are just that, temporary. they make the hole bigger which can compromise the integrety of the carcass.

A mobile guy is coming around to repair it tomorrow, so we"ll see what happens. He says up to 6mm is no problem, but I think that's the standard for cars?

I don't ride the bike particularly hard, but I do ride it a lot. It's my own work bike, so it covers a lot of distance.

I think it depends on the manufacturer of the tyre too.......I had a nail in a Bridgestone a few years ago and the bike shop said they couldn't repair it because it was not recommended by Bridgestone.......but how much of that is the manufacturer just trying to shift more tyres I don't know......... :roll:

I think it depends on the manufacturer of the tyre too.......I had a nail in a Bridgestone a few years ago and the bike shop said they couldn't repair it because it was not recommended by Bridgestone.......but how much of that is the manufacturer just trying to shift more tyres I don't know......... :roll:

Last one I had I rang up the manufacturer and they stated that a repair (of any sort) to a 'High Speed' rated tyre was not recommended - Therefore I got a new one!

Up to you really.

:cheers:

• 3 weeks later...

Roadside repair - Temporary repair, simple unless it is carried out in accordance with the British Standard

British Standard 0ne 3mm combination plug patch in performance bike tyres - the RAC should know that and they have cost you an early replacement.

6mm is max for car tyres

BSaU159 is the standard - the tyre manufacturer is not relevant.