Throttle at full lock right

Guest stuart_89

Hi,

I haven't been riding for long but I have just moved up from a CB500 to a Yamaha Thundercat.

I am getting used to the bike apart from one aspect.

The handle bars are lower and slopped down and when I turn the handle bars full right the throttle gets too close to the tank to the point i can't actually operate it, as I can't fit my wrist in the gap if you get what I mean.

The odd thing about it is the left handle bar doesn't seem to get as close at full left.

Is there anything I can do about this? our any advice? Its an issue as I have to do a slow right U turn to get into the car park at work and it also worries me in petrol stations.

Cheers

Stu

Welcome to TMBF Stu.........head over to the Newbies section and introduce yourself to the good folks on here when you can....... 8-)

As to your problem.........is the right hand side clip on bent? Also check the steering limit lugs on the headstock on the frame to make sure the right one isn't missing or bent. And is the tank seated correctly? There's a fair few guys on here that have had t-cats......so they may say this is normal...... :wink:

It could be the yolkes that are twisted a bit

Sounds about right, if you slacken the bolts on the clip-ons a bit then loosen the ones underneath the top yolks then you should be able to get them in to a better position. Just be sure they're equal both sides or you'll be all wonky on the bike! :-)

Oops, think I might be wrong old bean - clip-ons fix directly on to the fork tubes but I think you may have traditional handlebars. :-s What a silly old sod eh!

You should be able to look down the top yoke and check to see if the bottom yoke and forks line up - it should be fairly obvious if they're on the wonk.

welcome to the world of sportsbikes....the right one feels tighter to the tank because you have to twist your wrist to get it to move, whereas the left you can hold more lightly.

I often find myself only using my fingertips on the left, and its not such a big problem for me as I have tiny hands.

as for u turns....nah...not happening.

as the others have said, worth checking everythings straight and as it should be...but my guess is you might be more comfortable on something with a better lock :)

I agree with little cat.

I rekkon it only seams as though the right is worse as you tend to need to keep your right wrist low when operating throttle... On left side, you can hold your wrist in a higher position without impacting your ability to control the machine meaning full locking to the left is easier.

I know because I thought the same when I went from fazer to r6.

However measure it and see if the bars are bent!

All I can say is if ur thundercat is like the r6 - then slow speed stuff is a friggin nightmare. Tight u turns are very difficult due to poor turning circle - and something about the ergos of sports bikes just makes them bloody awkward at very slow speed compared to for example my drz which is easy to turn on the spot more or less!

BUT you do get used to it... So measure it all up make sure nothings bent or twisted - if not then just practise in a car park!

Thanks for the replies.

I had measured it. The the gap between the tank and the right bar at full right lock is definitely smaller than the left side.

I will check the yikes etc on the weekend and see if I can find anything.

• 4 weeks later...

apologies for the long wait.

When I look from above with the handle bars straight I can see part of the right hand side part of the lower yoke.

I've attached an image to explain what i mean. Hopefuly you can access it.

How do I go about lining them up?

Cheers

Stu

yoke.png.7227379b4c144b1547e81f35cce723e0.png

Slacken the pinch bolts on the bottom yoke and check that the front wheel is straight compared to the rear wheel......a long length of straight wood is usually OK to do this....and then check that the bars are straight....if not, get the front wheel between your knees and move the handlebars in the correct direction.......until you get the bars straight compared to the front wheel. Then tighten the lower yoke clamp bolts..... :wink:

Slacken the pinch bolts on the bottom yoke and check that the front wheel is straight compared to the rear wheel......a long length of straight wood is usually OK to do this....and then check that the bars are straight....if not, get the front wheel between your knees and move the handlebars in the correct direction.......until you get the bars straight compared to the front wheel. Then tighten the lower yoke clamp bolts..... :wink:

Don't forget that the rear wheel is wider than the front on most bikes, so there will be a gap at front wheel,,, do the same check both sides to check the gap is equal,, :wink:

before doing that (I cant remember who told me to do this, but someone on this forum)

undo all pinch bolts on the fork and take out the screws on the front mudguard and take it off. Then bounce the front of the bike up and down which should turn the forks to their original position before doing up all the bolts and LASTLY replacing the mudguard. If that doesnt work, then do it manually with your knees etc as above