Routes to getting a licence

Guest fumbles22

I'm a little confused when it comes to getting a motorbike licence. I'd like to get one where I can ride any size machine.

I'm currently 23, but i'll be 24 in December. I got this from the directgov website. If you go down to "24 or over" I take this route through the flowchart:

24 or over --> No full A1 or A2 licence --> I hold a valid CBT certificate --> I do not hold a valid theory test certificate --> pass motorcycle theory test --> Pass 2 part practical test on a large motorcycle at least 595 cc and at least 40Kw --> You can now ride any size motorcycle.

I'm a little confused with this route. Does this mean that if I slapped some L plates on my Dad's 800cc Suzuki Volusia, I can ride this around? Firstly, I haven't seen anyone ride a big bike with L plates on it and, secondly, the insurance will be insane! I have a 125 and it cost me £300 to get it insured! It would be at least a grand if I wanted to get insured on my Dad's bike. Surely the cost of the insurance makes this a fake option since no one aged 24 will be able to pay the insurance?

On the very first page of the link it says "Gives full Cat A licence limited to 25kw for two years". My understanding is, I could use my 125 for the practical test, pass, wait two years and i'll be able to ride my Dad's Volusia. How do I follow this route?

I don't want my licence to be stuck at a 125 forever!

Any help would be great.

The website is a bit confusing but you can longer take your test on a 125cc, ride restricted for two years and then ride any bike as was the case before January this year.

You have three options

1. Take your test on a 125cc - you can then ride without L-plates but would need to take a further test on a bigger machine before you can ride anything else

2. Take the A2 DAS - you can do this now, on a bike that is over 125 cc but no more that 35kw (probably restricted 500cc) and then you can ride a bike up to (or restricted to 35kw) but must take a further test (Mods 1+2) before riding anything bigger

3. Take the A1 DAS when you are 24 on a bike at least 595cc and over 40kw and you can then ride anything

You can only ride a bike bigger than 125cc on L-Plates when accompanied by a qualified instructor or examiner so you can't just slap L-plates on your Dad's 800cc

Typo there on option 3. That would be just category A DAS. A1 license is the 125 license.

If you have a 125 already and have passed CBT I'd get your Theory done and just go for DAS once you turn 24.

DAS course will include bike hire and test fees usually on the correct category vehicle. Would seem pointless doing MOD 1 & MOD 2 and then be able to take them again for a full Cat A license a few months later.

Thanks very much. I'll add this thread to my favourites so I can refer back to it.

If you have a 125 already and have passed CBT I'd get your Theory done and just go for DAS once you turn 24.

I think i'll go through this route. DAS courses look expensive though, the 3 day course is £550! I'll have to practice hard or, if I fail, i'll be throwing £550 away.

I think i'll go through this route. DAS courses look expensive though, the 3 day course is £550! I'll have to practice hard or, if I fail, i'll be throwing £550 away.

You don't have to do it all in one go if you haven't got the £550 lying around, most places will do a lesson a week or so and then you can spread the cost and use the time in between lessons to practice what you were taught on that lesson.

I think i'll go through this route. DAS courses look expensive though, the 3 day course is £550! I'll have to practice

hard or, if I fail, i'll be throwing £550 away.

How much is your life worth? Training should help you to stay alive on the road, as well as help you pass a test.

You pays your money.... :D