Sprockets and chain change.

min200

Hey guys can I pick your brains for while please.

The chain on my GSX600f is about all stretched out so I suppose I best be sorting it asap. Now how do I go about this?

Does the new chain come with the correct amount of links in? Will it be split so I have to fit the master link? Whats the best advice for removing the old sprockets?

I know my way around car mechanics but have never had to change a bike chain before! Are there any special tools I need as well?

Thanks folks in advance for your help!

:stupid:

A quality chain splitter/rivetter will be a good investment. ..... 8-)

Front sprocket nut can be a pain to undo sometimes. .......so a good socket and a nice extention bar may be required. .....and possibly someone to sit on the bike to support it and hold the back brake on may be needed as well. ..... :wink:

Kinda depends where you buy it from, some come ready prepared and some need chopping. You might as well get yourself a quality chain tool as it's not difficult to do your own. :-)

Cheers folks. Can you possibly post a link to the type of tool please...being a tool myself I don't want to buy the wrong thing!

Kinda depends where you buy it from, some come ready prepared and some need chopping. You might as well get yourself a quality chain tool as it's not difficult to do your own. :-)

Cheers folks. Can you possibly post a link to the type of tool please...being a tool myself I don't want to buy the wrong thing!

http://www.mandp.co.uk/products/list/chains-and-sprockets/Chain-Tools

I could not get my front sprocket off without the help of a car battery powered impact wrench, but then I think the previous owner of my bike was a gorrilla :mrgreen:

or the latest one is a pansy. :mrgreen: get thy sen to't gym lad.

back on topic... if you speak to fowlers suzuki and order it from there, they'll tell you exactly what you need and how it comes and what youll need to do to fit it.

http://www.fowlers.co.uk/parts are the best place i have found for suzuki parts. good price and mail service.

I could not get my front sprocket off without the help of a car battery powered impact wrench, but then I think the previous owner of my bike was a gorrilla :mrgreen:

or the latest one is a pansy. :mrgreen: get thy sen to't gym lad.

I bet his missus could have got it undone.... :up:

An impact gun makes life alot easier and is a good investment that can be used on other jobs you will only use it on the front sprocket nut on a chain and sprockets change but well worth buying

a chain splitter/riveter can be expensive for a job you may do every 10 - 15k if you can borrow one then do so....with a chain splitter read the instructions on how to use one as using it wrong can break the rivet tool my mate made the mistake with mine :roll:

easiest way to do the job is to undo the front sprocket first with the chain still attached and cut the chain off with a grinder remove the sprockets fit the new ones fit the wheel and adjust it right forward then feed the chain on and hook both ends over the rear sprocket while you put the connecting link in

as for chain length majority of the time they are the right length...count just the side plates on your chain then double it and this will give you the number of links you require :)

They're the outside part of the link.

If you can lay the old and new chains on a bench next to each other then you can push them together so the knuckles of one chain mates with the spacers of the other - then you can pinch them together and run your fingers all the way along the chains to the end, ensuring that the knuckles and spacers mate together all the way, then you will ensure you get the correct amount of links. This is the method I use as I usually get distracted or something and forget what number I'm on if I try counting them!

However you do it, make sure you check and double check that you're chopping the chain to the right number of links before you take the plunge and start hacking it up! :-)