CBT training

Guest fumbles22

Hello,

I have some free time coming up (in the way of 3 months) where I won't be doing much. I think it's the perfect time to try and get myself ready for a motorcycle test. I've done a CBT, but need to do the theory, and now I have some general questions before I jump into it.

1). What clothing is needed for the test?

The directgov youtube video says I need the jacket, leathers and boots but I can't really afford all that at the moment. I can probably get the jacket, but that's about it. So, what type of clothing will they allow?

2). For the slalom/figure of 8 manoeuvre, what is the approximate distance between the cones?

There's a road near me that has only a farm and cemetery on it. Since it's a dead end, there's hardly any traffic down there. I could probably set up this part of the course ( 7 cones in total, 5 that you slalom around and 2 that you figure of 8 around twice) and there's even space to U-turn! All I need to know is the distance between the cones so I can do it properly.

3). Is the theory test the same as the car theory test?

I already have a car licence (to ride automatics only) and I remember doing the theory test for that. There was the multiple choice part, and the hazard perception. I still think I have the practice CD too. If they're the same, it'll mean I should breeze through this part easily!

Thanks for any responses.

Ok so the theory test is very very similar with a few different questions..

There are some very good (And cheap, look on ebay or amazon) dvds to help you pass :) Mine was well worth the £10

Gear..

Try and get as much as you can. I cringed reading that you couldn't afford gear.. I instantly thought if you can't afford the gear, don't spend your money on test things..

But this is from some one who has fallen off and looked over my gear and gone "Thank fook!"

Winter is cold and slidey.. Try and get yourself decked out.

We have a section on here for buying and requesting bike related items.. Go look for cheap gear there :)

Unfortunatly I can't help with the cones.. Did my test mear weeks before the new test was brought in but any slow speed practice is worthwhile..

As a note I used the test centres CG125 as the turning circle was alot better than my CBR125s :D

Hope this helps a little! :mrgreen:

If you can't afford new gear then look on eBay for decent secondhand stuff.......always go for jackets and trousers with armour fitted...... :wink:

Can't help with the test stuff as passed long before all this new stuff came in...... :wink:

http://www.direct.gov.uk/prod_consum_dg ... 197120.pdf

Page 3 has all your measurements

Ah yes, that's quite neat. Apparently, it's 4.5m between the slalom cones, and 6m between the figure of 8 cones. I might need more space than I thought, but I have more than enough space to accommodate this.

If you can't afford new gear then look on eBay for decent secondhand stuff.......always go for jackets and trousers with armour fitted......

My Dad said something similar. He also said that I shouldn't go for a leather jacket since it isn't quite waterproof. I was thinking of getting something like this since the fluorescent patches would be really useful.

Gear..

Try and get as much as you can. I cringed reading that you couldn't afford gear.. I instantly thought if you can't afford the gear, don't spend your money on test things..

But this is from some one who has fallen off and looked over my gear and gone "Thank fook!"

I found this that has some free theory tests on, so I might have a try at those. I think my sister has a BSM hazard perception test CD, so i'll get that from her too.

In terms of gear, I might save up and buy all of it. It'll take me an extra 2 months to get all the money together but, from what you say, it seems necessary.

Thanks guys!

I just took a look at the jacket you linked......looks OK......the only reservation I'd have about it is the Thermal lining is not detachable.....which will be OK during the winter....but may be a bit hot during the summer......so a jacket with a removeable liner would give more flexibility for all year round riding..... :wink:

Just to add that the same would go for trousers too..... :)

If you have a bike than you need your own stuff. Helmet, boots and gloves are must. Add jacket and trousers as soon as you find a good bargain. Don't buy used helmet or online.

If you go straight to DAS course then the school my be able to provide you with gear.

If you train by yourself, make sure you know all observations you need to do, even for mod 1. Otherwise you'll get bad habits. Lifesavers before starting are my bane.

As for the theory there are plenty of free practice exams online, including hazard perception. Complete few and see how well you do.

If you're doing DAS, your school may well lend you a jacket and gloves and possibly even a helmet but i think your other thread said you had a 125 so I'd hope you might have some of this. For my test I wore my own helmet/jacket/gloves and jeans.

As for the cones, I wouldn't try and over do it with slow maneuvers. The slalom and fig 8 is piss easy. You can go as wide as you like as long as you don't hit cones or put a foot down. The other thing to consider is if you are going to do DAS, it will be on a bigger bike so any practice on a 125 whilst helpfull in learning what you need to do, it's not going to give you the same feel as doing it on a big bike. Avoidance practice is probably most tricky and that probably wouldn't be advisable to practise without an instructor. There's a few youtube vids of MOD 1 to see what's involved.

Bike Theory has some of its own questions so probably worth getting the 2013 edition of the official DSA theory book. Hazard perception part I think is the same as a car. Theory book under a tenner from Amazon.