My new but tired, Zx7r P2

Guest Legatron

the worst thing for you too is if you haven't had chance to use the tokicos then you wont know any difference

True, and I'd thought about it a lot. I mean those 6 pots are as used on the 12r and the hayabusa I think. Both heavy and fast, but the price was right so took a punt.

Forecast looking good this weekend.

With a bit of luck tomorrow will consisit of:

tank off

Air filter and plug change

a bloody good clean

tank on

Fuel filter change (not so confident on this one as not sure I have any hose clamps)

Caliper and brake fluid change (providing my new pads arrive).

and the best bit...test ride!

I will get some pics up as i go.

True, and I'd thought about it a lot. I mean those 6 pots are as used on the 12r and the hayabusa I think. Both heavy and fast, but the price was right so took a punt.

the calipers on the 12r and the busa are actually different calipers

they was redesigned as the ones on the TLR/ZXR etc etc where shit :lol:

Oh Ffs.

Got the tank off ok, noticed a few fittings were missing but that's ok to sort out. Got the air box off and it was full of crap.

The 3 bolts that seal the airborne to the carbs were missing. It's been sucking non filtered air through the side of the carbs.

Ok, we can sort that.. Move on to the plugs. Plugs 1,2,4 are easy enough... 3 is a sod to get too and... Wtf???

The plug was broken... The ceramic was cracked.

Big worries about what's now in the engine. I cleaned the plug area with a dollop of grease to pick up any pieces and it pulled a few bits out... I even hoovered it lol

Anyway, new plug in and lead back on.

All the bits are back on and it runs ok but it's untidier than I thought. Needs a lot of screws and bolts and ALL the plastics need replacing. :(

This is gonna be a long termer...

Will get some pics loaded soon.

TheNinja#5931295534982989234

The effing plug.... Surprised it was running with this!! But glad I changed it.

TheNinja#5931295504457716418

No. 3 just has too many pipes etc.. around it. From the state of it I think the previous owner thought the same and didn't change it before as not only was it fooked, but a lot blacker than the others.

Sadly no tinkering today as camped out in front of Superbikes Sunday :)

• 4 weeks later...

Not had a lot of time to work on her recently but this weekend I managed invest a couple of hours.

Firstly the caliper change. Refurbished nissins were very good and the tokicos whilst looking grubby, were also pretty good nick too.

I'd not changed calipers before. So after loosening off the caliper bolts and then the brake union I wasn't quite prepared for the great ooze of brake fluid that came out.

My mistake, I took the reservoir cap off first! Which allows a free flow of fluid. Once I out the cap back on it slowed it right down which gave me much more time to fit the union to the new calipers.

Given the signs of lack of care on other areas of the bike I shouldn't have been surprised when I noticed that there wasn't any copper washers around the union of one of the calipers! How it wasn't pissing fluid under pressure I have no idea!

Anyway, long and short of it is that I have changed the calipers over successfully, new fluid all bled through OK. The only issue I have on the brakes now is that because every retained the original brake hoses, they have to pass straight across the top caliper bolt which I'd a tight fit, I could really do with new hoses but they can wait.

The other thing I have noticed is a blow between the end can and where it attacks to the pipe. I expect its just the gasket but until I get a new hex driver socket set I can't take the can off. My hex keys will just snap with the torque needed to get them off.

That's it for now, I promise to get some pics up of the brake change soon, but I want going to use my phone with brake crud all over the place.

Lawers.

• 2 weeks later...

here is a pic of the minimal clearance between the front brake line and the caliper bolt, its slightly less than this on the other side..

tdK3doRqGcl3Wg-w8KeyvS9-BN-eR5LU6JF8ZU2dJaQ=w155-h207-p-no

The brakes work ! but it was wet so couldn't test them properly, but they don't seem to bind and everything moves freely.

Also decided to fix the exhaust leak between the end can and the mid section. I'm a bit concerned by the mess i found.

should i be? its black all the way down and feels a little oily. The exhaust originally came from a ZX9R and my bike doesn't seem to burn oil so hoping its a hangover from the previous bike......gulp!

IMG_20131116_130730.jpg

I cleaned the two mating surfaces up with some wirewool and a stanley blade. used a bit of EAP5 to seal it and its not blowing anymore at least.

Apart from getting the front forks refurbed, i'm not sure what next - tidy up a few more nuts and bolts i guess. I would like to drop off with a mechanic for an hour or twos labour and just give it the once over to see if anything is urgent.

I can't really see from your fist pic bud, it's a bit fuzzy - what's the bolt you've got the hanger fixed on with? It should be a hex but it looks like a flat.

If you're worried about the oily stuff in the can you can always chuck a bit of caustic soda through it to clean it out. At least you'll be able to tell if you're burning any oil from now on. I take it you've given the exhaust gasses a bit of a sniff too.

How's it running now anyhow? I guess you might be a bit lean if you've pinched a can from a 9.

Fro,

the two hanger bolts are both domed chrome bolts, as were on there originally. Other ninjas ive seen have the same bolts. Changing these would increase the clearance though.

here is a link to a slightly bigger picture:

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-GcrO9POwDRM/Uonj3w1xiqI/AAAAAAAAHLA/1RtwBHmkJmw/w326-h435-no/IMG_20131116_133722.jpg

i've not got the printout from of the exhaust from the last mot so not sure if lean or not, although i do have some pics of the plugs i took out i think..but not close enough to tell...

they have all since been replaced with original spec plugs.

IMG_20131005_105903.jpg

it seems to run smoothly, runs ok on idle ( once warmed up) and part throttle is ok but the carbs could do with a good clean but i've not done that before so put that off for the time being.

I have exactly the same problem with the brake lines on mine

I have angled mine out enough to stop any fouling and to get a spanner in too

are they OE lines? if so consider some braided and find a company that will alter the banjo bolts to suit :)

Can you even get standard hoses for these now? I slapped HEL lines on both of mine this year and if I'm being honest, I can't really tell much difference...

Carb cleaning isn't to bad a job, just do one at a time and make a note of how many turns in/out various screws are. :-)

• 2 weeks later...

oh poo

started the bike for the first time a week or so and somethings not right.

it struggles to start even on full choke and once it has started any touch of the throttle causes it to stall.

once it has warmed up and settled a little it idles ok but if i rev it at all i get whitish smoke with the odd backfire. with white smoke im concerned about headgasketbut coolent looks as it should.

could it be carbs need sorting?

btw the smoke isnt constant it like it gets to a certain level and chucks out a gob full of it.

i am concerned...help!

could the smoke just be condensation in the exhaust? it will be more noticeable in this cold weather

as for the rough running start with carbs plugs and coils/ht leads

get the carbs stripped and cleaned

new plugs if not already and gapped correctly

check all the plug caps and fitment on to the plug and HT lead remove the plug cap and trim a quarter of an inch off the lead and fit the cap again

check all electrical connections on to the coil too

I'm guessing you have new fuel in there too?

I would like to think it was water stu, but it's pretty stinky. Smells of fuel so maybe I'm running rich? I'm guessing.

I have new plugs (standard spec) and recently replaced 1 end cap. I'll check and trim as suggested.

The carbs scare me a bit lol might bite the bullet and get a pro to check those.

Ta

oh poo

started the bike for the first time a week or so and somethings not right.

it struggles to start even on full choke and once it has started any touch of the throttle causes it to stall.

once it has warmed up and settled a little it idles ok but if i rev it at all i get whitish smoke with the odd backfire. with white smoke im concerned about headgasketbut coolent looks as it should.

could it be carbs need sorting?

btw the smoke isnt constant it like it gets to a certain level and chucks out a gob full of it.

i am concerned...help!

I had exactly the same problem with mine when I got it, once finally started it needed to warm up for ages before I could even look at the throttle.

Mine has an OEM filter with aftermarket end can and emissions delete.

I gave the carbs a good old service, reset all the screws to standard and played about with the main jets and floats - off the top I think I ended up with 160, 170, 170, 160 and the floats 1mm lower. I'll dig out my notebook and correct myself if I'm wrong.

More questions than answers.

so the carbs are going to come off in the near future but in the meantime i decided to take off all the "kleen air" system (emmissions reduction gumff).

IMG_20131207_213941.jpg

1) I'm fairly happy with the handywork (above) but in stripping out the hoses i've got some questions. I found a breather hose of some description that wasn't attached to anything and had a plug on the end. it was completely blocked with what looked like old oil. could this be a fuel tank breather or something? its a clear plastic hose - another picture below.

IMG_20131207_214040.jpg

2) secondly, when disconnecting the vacuum hoses from the carbs i noticed that there were only 3 of them. feeling around under the carbs there seems to be only 3 "nipples" to attach the hoses onto, and where the one is missing it is replaced with a bolt... i stuck my mobile down there to grab a pic and have also circled the bits i mean. Does that sound/look right to you?

IMG_20131207_214359.jpg

3) from the gumff that was removed, there was a wire/sensor attached to the t-piece. it went nowhere and had been cut. its obviously fulyl remved now but any idea what it would have been? seen here by my thumb.

IMG_20131207_214007.jpg

Thanks Guys, as usual