My new but tired, Zx7r P2

Guest Legatron

What does the coolant look/smell like?

Don't forget that at this time of year, if you're engine is not getting good and hot (~10 mile jaunt) then you will get condensation in the crankcase which will make your oil look a bit iffy.

Check your compression too before you get overly worried about a HG failure. You can get a tester from amazon for sub £10 so it's not a huge outlay.

• 1 month later...

Quick update as not been on here for a while - has a mega busy month.

and.. breeeath!

the bike has been with Badger Motorcycle in ipswich for a couple of weeks. There is no rush for it back so said take his time. The carbs have been off, cleaned setup and then refit - however its proving tricky. Apparantly the floatsw are really sensitive. The jets are a bit worn and might need changing but he thinks the foats are more of the issue.

its running and running better but still not quite right.

hopefully hear something soon.... i can see some sun coming out!

heard from Badger again today.

Hes got new orings to go on the carbs - hes 100% sure the poor running was down to a problem in carburation so thats good news.

he's been fitting it between jobs to keep the cost down so cant really complain about the time hes had it but I am starting to get a bit twitchy now the sun keep spopping out.

• 3 weeks later...

Right! its back!

its been ages but ive not been charged a lot and to be fair... he's fixed it as best he could without splashing more dollar at it.

the carbs were off, cleaned and checked. It was found that the float valves were pretty worn. genuine parts are £55 each! and he was reluctant to use pattern parts because of bad experiences. I said they could be cleaned up and be will be ok for a little while longer. I bowed to his better judgement and went with the latter.

It was all put back together only to find that the tetchy old Datatool Alarm had immobilised the bike. i told him to strip the Alarm out which he did. Anyway, delivered back today, and its running MUCH better. Although I have my daughter this weekend so no test ride just yet.

It just needs use!

...and more TLC :)

all sorted just in time to get some summer riding in well done mate :cheers:

that's the plan :)

right... brakes. After fitting the 4 pots on the front a while back i've noticed the pads are rubbing very slightly on the disc. you can hear it and with a feeler guage there is i cant get anything between the two. its constant and i don't the discs are warped.

think i need to scuff the pads in a bit or is there something wrong?

its not particularly safe as it is i suppose.

Wow... Went out on her today. 80 miles later still beaming. :)

Runs soo much better and a lovely burble from the pipe when off the gas.

So chuffed!

Clutch is heavy but assume that's the lever needs adjusting.

Just need to sort the looks out and the temp Guage and she's there I think.

Glad to hear that you've had a good run out :mrgreen:

The clutch probably just wants bleeding. Engine heat kills the fluid but easy to bleed and the lever will feel much better.

What's up with the temp gauge? If you find it barely moves off the top of the cold mark unless you're in slow traffic then that's normal. Fan should kick in just above half-way.

Good point, I'll have a go at changing that fluid.

Re the temp Guage, yeah it barely moves. I didn't let it sit and run after getting home.. Needed the loo lol

• 1 month later...

the Ninja has been running great considering its work in progress, had a couple of great rides putting on a couple of hundred miles.

Main problem I encountered though was that the clutch has got real heavy. quick check.....no fluid! and on further inspection the master cylinder seals had completely perished so i order a rebuild kit from WEMOTO along with a slave cylinder kti too (might as well whilst the system is empty) which arrived quickly and i've serviced my first master cylinder..result!

Whilst the system was drained i thought id replace the slave cylinder seal too.....except the cover wouldnt come off. 18 years of never being removed before has caused it to be corroded on. Anyway, being the knob i am i managed to damage the cylinder mount in trying to get the cover off ( thin screwdrivers make holes in metal when hit!)

below is what i found inside the bike side of the cylinder. You can see the actuator rod, lots of white alloy corrosion and general crud. You can probably make out my ham fisted damage to the facing side of the cylinder too.

IMG_20140426_195641

and below is the inside of the cover, with the piston stuck fast in the cylinder

IMG_20140426_195652

I've cleaned them both up but the piston is stuck fast. given the damage to the mount caused by me ive decided to simply replace the lot for a good, unsiezed second hand cylinder. ill replace the seal and spring when it gets here.

anyway, bikes of the road for the time being. I move into the new place next weekend so would be good to get it there under its own power

Looking at the pics you could have easily cleaned that up and to get the piston out I would have just bled it up and used the lever to push it out :-)

pictures don't do it justice.... the damage to the cylinder from my caveman mechanics wasn't good, took a chunk out. although thinking about it its not a hydraulic seal as there is no gasket. might have got away with it.