Staples going down the pan?

XmisterIS

I go into Staples from time to time to get stationary for my one-man business. The didn't seem to have changed anything about what they sell for more than 10 years, then suddenly a couple of years ago, they started selling really incongruous items like cleaning products and bulk-buy bog-roll ... right next to scanners and printers! (???)

Then, the other day I went in and the place was completely devoid of staff ... those that remained were run off their feet and completely frazzled. Apparently they've done some "cost cutting", which seems to involve halving the number of staff and expecting the remaining ones to do twice as much work for the same pay. Needless to say, a couple of the staff seemed to be on the verge of walking out.

Just now, I visited their website and from what I can see, it has become a bloated, confusing, completely unfathomable mess. I shall be going elsewhere for my while-u-wait printing.

So ... my prediction is that in the next few years, Staples will either go into administration, or will be bought out and re-invented or asset-stripped.

I go into Staples from time to time to get stationary for my one-man business. The didn't seem to have changed anything about what they sell for more than 10 years, then suddenly a couple of years ago, they started selling really incongruous items like cleaning products and bulk-buy bog-roll ... right next to scanners and printers! (???)

Then, the other day I went in and the place was completely devoid of staff ... those that remained were run off their feet and completely frazzled. Apparently they've done some "cost cutting", which seems to involve halving the number of staff and expecting the remaining ones to do twice as much work for the same pay. Needless to say, a couple of the staff seemed to be on the verge of walking out.

Just now, I visited their website and from what I can see, it has become a bloated, confusing, completely unfathomable mess. I shall be going elsewhere for my while-u-wait printing.

So ... my prediction is that in the next few years, Staples will either go into administration, or will be bought out and re-invented or asset-stripped.

I can't believe it's still going now... what with being able to get most things from a supermarket, or even a petrol station these days.

I'm surprised the store is still going at all, the few times I've been in there I've seen 2-3 people max and everything is ridiculously expensive.

I stupidly bought a notice board there once, then saw the exact same one cheaper in wilkos a few weeks later, so don't go there unless I have to now.

Went last night to the birmingham branch.. Lots of staff, all very helpful and cheerful :mrgreen: ..

Whole store's being renovated atm but it didn't stop them helping me out..

Lovely lot and hope staples don't go down.. Always liked them :)