chain fitting/splitting tools which one???????????

buggerit

hello everyone again more help for me again please :lol:

looking at fitting my first set of chain and sprockets v.soon and i dont have any chain spittler or fitter!

im going to get a did x ring chain if that helps. ive seen this but ive heard of cheap rubbish breaking and im a little on the heavy handed side sometimes. was thinking of just buying the sprockets and chain and having them fitted?? what do you rekon worth learning myself and buying the tool??

]

heres that link:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GEAR-GREMLIN- ... 5d3bdc9eaf

Definitely do it yourself and definitely buy yourself a quality tool! :-)

I've not heard of Gremlin before but it's in the right sort of price range. Personally, I like to feel a tool before I buy it (no jokes please) to get an idea of the quality. I guess you've always got a guarantee if it's not fit for purpose.

I disagree a little!!

have a think how often your going to do the job if the tools cost way above what fitting will cost then make the decision based on if you will get the use out of the tools etc

Me personally I would buy the tools and do it but thats me and in the past 3 months I have fitted 4 chain and sprocket sets and I will be splitting mine again in the winter

you need to weigh up the cost of both first and do you think you will be able to do the job yourself? only you can answer that question but if you know your ring spanner from a socket I don't think you will have a problem :wink:

food for thought from both sides thanks guys. initially i think it would be cheaper to have it done from a garage i will get some quotes and weigh up my options. theres not much life left in mine and on the rear sprocket some of the teeth feel rough, ive checked the alighnment and it seems ok so might be just due to wear and tear.

I disagree a little!!

have a think how often your going to do the job if the tools cost way above what fitting will cost then make the decision based on if you will get the use out of the tools etc

Me personally I would buy the tools and do it but thats me and in the past 3 months I have fitted 4 chain and sprocket sets and I will be splitting mine again in the winter

you need to weigh up the cost of both first and do you think you will be able to do the job yourself? only you can answer that question but if you know your ring spanner from a socket I don't think you will have a problem :wink:

Fair one on that, I like getting my ands dirty so it's my default position - especially if its something I'm going to be repeating every once in a while.

Fair one on that, I like getting my ands dirty so it's my default position - especially if its something I'm going to be repeating every once in a while.

same here my bike NEVER goes to a stealer or anyone else for that matter!!

I have read between the lines and that the op is a bit unsure about doing it and possibly lacks tools so the cost of buying just the tools for the job could outweigh paying someone to do it

if you already have most of the tools then its stupid not to add more tools to the collection :lol:

generally ive tried to do jobs on the bike myself and dispite some ups and downs, broken bolts and a trying to understand a multimeter ive done alright. i have a growing tool kit now lol but nothing for spliting a chain or attaching one. ive just called a local garage and he said 40 quid cash so i think this time im going to let them do it. i do like to learn but i will leave it till next time on this one. thanks again for everyones opinion and help its always worth while gettting other bikers experience and thoughts before i do anything! :cheers:

you cant go wrong at £40 :shock:

you will be hard to find a decent chain splitter for less than £50 :?

it is a lot of money to shell out on tools for the job just to use once or twice but if like me you do jobs for others for money then they pay for themselves :)