Improving headlamp

m312

10.5v at the headlamp - 13.8v at the battery - so improving the wiring can only help... What is the realistic maximum voltage to be expected? I assume there will be some voltage drop?

As Tango says really I would be looking for 13v with bike running

I will do a write up for you with how to sort out a loom if you like

I really would appreciate that if you have the time.

I'm away all next week so I won't be able to do anything until after that anyway.

10.5v at the headlamp - 13.8v at the battery - so improving the wiring can only help... What is the realistic maximum voltage to be expected? I assume there will be some voltage drop?

With such a big voltage drop,it will probably be connector corrosion, earth corrosion or the dreaded blackwire...

Hi totally agree with rest and 10. something volts across a cross the headlight terminals is big loss of power to the headlight.

This web page you might find useful, all the information you need and wiring diagrams are in here, l know it for cars and shows a pair of lights but all the rules apply to the bikes.

Personally would go down the relay route, it saves the high current loads going through the handle bar switches and gives you the opportunity of installing larger cables direct to the headlight via the relays.

Best of luck

http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech ... elays.html

PS might be worth pinning this one Stu?

• 1 month later...
Hi totally agree with rest and 10. something volts across a cross the headlight terminals is big loss of power to the headlight.

This web page you might find useful, all the information you need and wiring diagrams are in here, l know it for cars and shows a pair of lights but all the rules apply to the bikes.

Personally would go down the relay route, it saves the high current loads going through the handle bar switches and gives you the opportunity of installing larger cables direct to the headlight via the relays.

Best of luck

Thanks to all. I've spent the weekend doing the upgrade. I bought all the cable, relays, fuses, and connectors at an automotive electrical factors, all in at £22. I had looked at all the web links supplied before I took the plunge, so I was confident I could do it, but it was a feeling of relief when I turned the lights on and it all worked! I'm now only losing between 0.5 and 1 volts at the headlamp, so the increase in brightness is significant. That said, I still have a question.

The earth/ground wire in the original set up remains in the same position. I presume it goes back to the frame somewhere, but I haven't traced it yet. I ran new 4mm cables back from each relay direct to the battery to provide the best route, but I'm now wondering if I disconnect the original black earth wire and connect it to the new earth cable, will I be causing any other issues?

Did you increase the wire size from the battery -ve to the frame/engine? That's quite a common upgrade too. Need to do that on the Speedie & Sprint.....helps to preserve the sprag clutch..... 8-)

Electricity likes to take the path of least resistence, so if you ran new 4mm cables back to the battery as well as the existing earth, I would think the majority of the current already flows on the 4mm wires so disconnecting the original earth will make no difference.... Unless its used by some thing else. Probably best to leave it.

Did you increase the wire size from the battery -ve to the frame/engine? That's quite a common upgrade too. Need to do that on the Speedie & Sprint.....helps to preserve the sprag clutch..... 8-)

Nope - that has never occurred to me. I'll put it on the list of jobs to do!

Hi l was talking to a guy the other day who's a very keen cyclist. We were talking about the modern led lights and just how good they are.

He went on to tell me that the police are now nicking cyclist who run with the very bright LED cycle lights. Apparently you can get fined and 3 points on your licence should you get pulled. "Dammed if you do dammed if you don't comes to mind"

have you been listening to D'Ecosse? he has left the TL fold and gone to triumph rat forum and this is something he will have figured out :lol: :lol:

Hi l was talking to a guy the other day who's a very keen cyclist. We were talking about the modern led lights and just how good they are.

He went on to tell me that the police are now nicking cyclist who run with the very bright LED cycle lights. Apparently you can get fined and 3 points on your licence should you get pulled. "Dammed if you do dammed if you don't comes to mind"

If I was cycling and was pulled for this - I'd have no ID on me, and would probably forget my name and where I lived...on second thoughts that probably wouldn't get me anywhere (having watched some Police! Camera! Action! type programmes) That said, often those super-bright LEDs are badly adjusted, pointing directly into oncoming drivers eyes, or so it seems.

have you been listening to D'Ecosse? he has left the TL fold and gone to triumph rat forum and this is something he will have figured out :lol: :lol:

Yep.....he's a smart guy......and the cost of a couple of bits of wire vs a sprag clutch?.....well, it's no contest......just need to measure up the wires and tags I need....a company on eBay does ready made leads with decent crimp tags on them.....and not too expensive either...... 8-)

Yep.....he's a smart guy......and the cost of a couple of bits of wire vs a sprag clutch?.....well, it's no contest......just need to measure up the wires and tags I need....a company on eBay does ready made leads with decent crimp tags on them.....and not too expensive either...... 8-)

Yes he knows his bloody electrics

it was him who figured out all the shite charging system on the TL

link for the guy on ebay? he could come in handy :)

I know a cyclist who hasn't a driving licence, what would happen too him ?

I know a cyclist who hasn't a driving licence, what would happen too him ?

I'm told he will be fined and just like any other none registered driver caught they will stick the points on when he applies.

I personally know a guy who's son went right off the rails, the little shit had over 20 points on his licence before he even applied for it!