Brake Light

bluepanido

I bought a ybr125 the other day. I may have a safety issue, in that it doesn't seem to have a brake light. Should the rear light go brighter when I use one of the brakes? Just wondering if there should be some kind of brake light.

Thanks

Bought a new bulb. It seems that both filaments in the bulb are on. I'm guessing there is a filament for the normal rear light (which stays on) and one for the brake light. Does them both being on permanently mean that there is a problem with the wiring? Possibly a brake cable is too tight or something causing the brake light to stay on? Are these problems gonna cost much to fix?

Thanks

First things to check mate are the brake light switches. Locate these and find out if one of them is sticking on........if you can find the connectors for them, unplug one at a time and see if the brake light goes out......if it's still on with both switches disconnected then you've probably got a wiring issue..... :wink:

Haynes manual is the way to go mate...... 8-)

With regard to the brake light switches......there will be one on the front brake lever.....probably a black shrouded cable that will either disappear under the tank or into the headlamp....you'd need to trace that wire until you find a connector on it....and if you disconnect anything, make a note of what goes where before you start..... :wink:

Rear brake light switch is normally above and behind the rear brake pedal.......it usually has a spring attached to the pedal lever which attaches to the switch itself......again, you'd be looking for some wiring going from the switch to a connector......or sometimes it has terminals on the switch itself, covered by a waterproof boot..... :wink:

It wasn't nearly as startled as I was Alan....when the bars swung round and hit me on the noggin because the weight of the top box tipped the bike onto it's back wheel while I was trying to get the side panel off...... :shock: :lol: :lol:

Anyway.....hopefully some pics of the bits to look at.

Front Brake switch location.

1129206875_YBRFrontBrakeSwitchCompress.thumb.JPG.cbfef6b296d8cc52cc0823955283d7e9.JPG

Rear Brake switch location and operating spring.

998762219_YBRRearBrakeSwitchCompress.thumb.JPG.923ecaf32b71665e5afd7025a818541b.JPG

Rear brake switch plunger and connections with the waterproof boot folded back. The plunger should be at the top of the switch barrel unless the brake pedal is pushed.

1192178210_RearBrakePlungerCompress.thumb.JPG.df805767f8225e7efe82284d505f5b8a.JPG

Front brake switch connector....which is inside a kinda rubbery boot thing that's behind the headlamp. The brake switch connector is the Red one.

345603256_FrontBrakeConnectorCompress.thumb.JPG.ae9b71240ac01da2d91375665df9b0ea.JPG

I hope that these pics help you mate...... 8-)

Well mate, thanks to your info I've found out it's the rear brake switch. After pulling it and messing with it the brake light went off. I pressed the brake, and it came back on, staying on! So, to see this through to its conclusion, how do I stop it from sticking? Would a little squirt of WD40 do the job do you reckon?

cheers

Is it that the pedal is sticking down?.....or is it just the switch that is sticking?......if it's just the switch then a bit of WD40 may well sort it......if it's the rear brake pedal sticking it may need a bit of dismantling and greasing the pivot...... :wink: