Lowering bikes

Bonniebird

I should be getting my Speed Four at the weekend and I intend to lower it as I'm only 5'4'' (and a bit) and the bike is a bit tall.

I've already bought a Lust racing lowering kit for the rear suspension linkage which lowers the back just over an inch (30mm)

What should I do with the front end? Drop it or not and if so, by how much?

Various websites seem to have conflicting advice - the most likely advice seems to be drop it a bit but not as much as the back

Should I just see how it handles and adjust accordingly?

Plenty of horror stories about lowering - tank slapping and the like - but it seems a pretty common thing to do to them

BTW - also thinking about a conversion from clip-ons to flat bars

I would leave the front and see how you go!

if you do drop it through the yolks then yes it will make the front a little twitchier and it will also turn in quicker

if you feel you have to drop the front then you could always fit a damper.....also a lot of tank slappers are caused by poorly set up rear suspension

I would leave the front and see how you go!

if you do drop it through the yolks then yes it will make the front a little twitchier and it will also turn in quicker

if you feel you have to drop the front then you could always fit a damper.....also a lot of tank slappers are caused by poorly set up rear suspension

Yep, see how it feels with the back dropped. In theory, the front should be dropped to maintain the wheelbase - it's dead easy to lower and raise the front through the yolks so if it handles like a dog to start with you cam just pop it down a bit and see how you go!

I'm inclined to leave it to start with and see how it goes.

The suspension is highly adjustable on the S4 so may be able to compensate for changes in dynamics

Same with the side stand - I'm hoping to get away with not having to shorten it - I think the bike leans quite a bit on the stand so it may be OK.

Going to be fun setting it up

What Stu said. Just lowering the rear will make the bike more stable , but will slow the stearing a bit. Never had any issues when I lowered the rear of my Bandit 12 by 3". If you must lower the front, I wouldn't go lower than 10 to 20mm, but I doubt you will need to. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I'm inclined to leave it to start with and see how it goes.

The suspension is highly adjustable on the S4 so may be able to compensate for changes in dynamics

Same with the side stand - I'm hoping to get away with not having to shorten it - I think the bike leans quite a bit on the stand so it may be OK.

Going to be fun setting it up

I can help you shorten your stand if needed but I will probably need to have your bike for a couple of weeks... ;-)

I can help you shorten your stand if needed but I will probably need to have your bike for a couple of weeks... ;-)

couple of weeks to shorten a side stand!! me thinks someone is going for a joy ride :wink:

See how you get on before messing about with it.

I'm 5'10 and no way I can touch the ground with both feet on my KTM - I Dont think anyone could as the ground clearance is far to high, but didn't take long to get used to.