Cg125 starting problem

Guest Mjohnston340

Hi, my cg 125 dose not start on the button, when I turn the bike on and press the ignition button it does not fire but the button does work were should I look for the problem?

Few more details would help - must be a newer CG because mine doesn't have an electric start

Will it start on the kick start?

Does the engine turn over but not fire or does the button just click?

Is there a spark?

Is the spark plug wet? (ie. is the bike getting fuel)?

Hey, yeh it is a 07 plate, there is no kick start haven't been able to bump it as the breaks are seased, this is a project by the way, the engin does not turn over the button just clicks?

Assuming that the battery is OK, I guess the next stage would be to test the circuitry and see if you have charge at the starter motor.

The ignition button could be corroded, there could be a problem with the wiring to the starter motor or the starter motor may be seized. I'm not sure how easily dismantled the starter motors are - worn bushes etc...

I'd start with the simpler things first like checking the button for corrosion, cleaning it, spraying with WD40 etc.. and checking the wiring

I expect someone else will be here with more ideas

Does the engine actually turn over? You need to find that out first, get those brakes unseized and trying pushing it forward in 4th gear.

If it does then check the earths from battery to frame and engine to frame.

Is there a starter relay because if there is check that.

All of the above could give the symptoms you describe.

i would do the following.

1. check the kill switch is in the run position.

2. charge the battery and try to start it.

3. if 2. fails the use jump leads from a charged battery's positive straight to the starter motor (briefly) and the negative to the frame, this will bypass all the switches and solonoid etc and test the starter motor directly (if this is too technical or a scary proposition then i suggest you get a manual and a competent person to supervise your project rebuild). if the starter fails to spin then it will prob be knackered.

4. if 3. worked then move the 12v+ supply to the solonoid and see if it still starts.

Hey, yeh it is a 07 plate, there is no kick start haven't been able to bump it as the breaks are seased, this is a project by the way, the engin does not turn over the button just clicks?

A 'click' is normally a low battery voltage.

You say that this is a 'project' - Ok then you should check (charge) the battery, un-seize the brakes, chechk/clean/lubricated the drive chain, check/clean/replace the spark plug, check clean the carb, empty the fuel and re-fill with 'new' fuel, drain & replace the oil, check operation of the brakes, check tyre tread and pressure, then.... attempt to start the engine.

Once running, check all electrics, horn, lights, etc.

Check all head and wheel bearings for play (sort as required).

Check for any leaks (including exhaust).

Check suspension operates correctly.

Get an MoT test.

ENJOY!

:cheers: