1988 Yamaha TZR 125 Restoration :)

once you have got the engine running i personally would strip it right down to bare frame and then take frame and swinging arm get them blasted and powder coated you will never have to worry about rust again then,you could also get the wheels redone in white powder at the same time will look stunning then once rebuilt

Hi EAB, so do you think I should get the engine running before I strip it or rebuild the engine and then start it?

Also, I'll be getting a new wiring loom so what are the bare essentials that need to be hooked up for it to start?

I need a plan on how in going to do this smartly without jumping right in and f**king it up :(

i would get it running before pulling it right apart even if it means doing engine rebuild first its just the biggest part of the job,if you need new loom to get it to run as you are going to pull it all right apart once you have had it running i would leave loom loose on side of frame and plug it all in wouldnt worry about fixing it to the frame and threading it everywhere will look messy but saves lots of messing about fiting it and then removing it all again also make sure you get the corect loom for your model bike as there are several diffenet spec ones out there you need to check vin number for 4LB or whatever it starts with and get a loom from same model

i would get it running before pulling it right apart even if it means doing engine rebuild first its just the biggest part of the job,if you need new loom to get it to run as you are going to pull it all right apart once you have had it running i would leave loom loose on side of frame and plug it all in wouldnt worry about fixing it to the frame and threading it everywhere will look messy but saves lots of messing about fiting it and then removing it all again also make sure you get the corect loom for your model bike as there are several diffenet spec ones out there you need to check vin number for 4LB or whatever it starts with and get a loom from same model

Thanks EAB I'm determined to get the bike running this weekend so I'll inform you of how that goes :)

Is there a simple wiring diagram any where that only shows the very basics that need to be connected for it to run? Make things a little simpler till I get a new loom :)

http://img69.imageshack.us/img69/8056/44sa.jpg

http://img196.imageshack.us/img196/9240/82tc.jpg

Some shitty photos for you all :P

I took the cylinder head and cylinder off to inspect it and it turns out it had no piston rings or gudgeon clips, good job I didn't start it (doubt it would've anyway :P)

After discovering this I have taken the engine out to rebuild it :)

A few pictures :)

http://img96.imageshack.us/img96/5022/9psi.jpg

http://img594.imageshack.us/img594/2554/d9d6.jpg

http://img29.imageshack.us/img29/9619/pwjx.jpg

Is a rusty crank shaft necessarily bad? This one is pretty rusty :/

Valuable lesson learned. You thought it was seized then it freed itsself..... Alarm bells ringing in my head which is why i suggested taking the head off..

I've learned to never assume the bike is in and it state to start without proper inspection and seized motor warrants a head removal.

That crank will clean up, but its a fiddly job with it still in the casings. You can then inspect the bearings etc. Personally I'd be on eBay looking for a spare motor to let you concentrate on the rest of the bike. Can always rebuild this one at a later date.

Valuable lesson learned. You thought it was seized then it freed itsself..... Alarm bells ringing in my head which is why i suggested taking the head off..

I've learned to never assume the bike is in and it state to start without proper inspection and seized motor warrants a head removal.

That crank will clean up, but its a fiddly job with it still in the casings. You can then inspect the bearings etc. Personally I'd be on eBay looking for a spare motor to let you concentrate on the rest of the bike. Can always rebuild this one at a later date.

Yeah, glad I did, thanks :)

You think it's worth buying another engine though?

It would save a load of time but it wouldn't feel as 'special' when it fired up :/

Bearings, crankshafts, pistons can be picked up reasonably cheap off ebay then again there's an engine on there for a 100, god knows what the past is :/

If I rebuilt this one fully then I would most likely get more miles out of it than I would if I bought another off ebay :/

Hard decision to make :/

Thanks Joeman :)

you need to get the crank built by someone who knows what they are doing as the crank pin needs to be pressed out and new one into the crank or buy a complete new crankshaft assembly personally i would buy an engine with sellers word that its good

Hi EAB :)

After looking more at the engine it looks like someone has take a chisel to the insides they've goosed up the bolts, there's a chip missing in the clutch basket the crank shaft is rotting and there's an unbelievable amount of metal flakes lying about :evil:

So by the looks of things I'm going to have to get a new engine or spend a fortune rebuilding it :/

There's like no information on this but quite a respectable ebayer:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/261311802686?redirect=mobile

Any thoughts?

Thanks

:cheers:

From what I've seen of the other parts he has listed I think it's all taken apart :/

He's not replied but there is still time yet.

I'll ask him when he's replied if he has other parts I need :)

dont forget to check model number as different years are different numbers and some parts fit others dont but might be worth seeing if he got the wiring loom(undamaged only) unless you have already found one,and yep looking at ur pics it will be cheaper to buy a good engine rather than rebuild your one just dont forget that seller on ebay says collection only and is down near leicester so you have got to factor in fuel costs going to collect it as well

Hi EAB :)

I've spoke to him and he said it works and to prove it he will give me a 2 week warranty, he wants 150 for it but I'll try and get it lower :)

It's for a 1988 2RH model and mine says 2RH on the frame I think, because the last letter is rusted a bit :/

And it's only a hour way :)

He's just messaged again and he has a few other parts I'm after but no wiring loom, his is as f**ked as mine :evil:

If you're no closer at the end of November, I may have a garage I'm tooled up enough to help out.

Send the engine, a manual and several packs of Maryland cookies along with enough tea bags to make a few gallons and I'll rebuild the head on it if you like.

It's a big IF and I may not be able to help at all, but if there's a chance may as well put it on the table now :thumb:

If you're no closer at the end of November, I may have a garage I'm tooled up enough to help out.

Send the engine, a manual and several packs of Maryland cookies along with enough tea bags to make a few gallons and I'll rebuild the head on it if you like.

It's a big IF and I may not be able to help at all, but if there's a chance may as well put it on the table now :thumb:

:love:

I'm a massive idiot and when I cleaned the rust up of the frame it said 2RK not 2RH (easy mistake for an idiot) I spoke to EAB and that engine would fit but may need the wires in the left crank case adjusting slightly :)

I'll PM you now Fozzie :D

On a lighter note the frame and wheels are being powder coated this afternoon frame is going back to original colour and the wheels are going white :)

I'll upload a picture or two of the frame for you all in a bit when I get home :)

I'll bring it here :)

Been chatting to Ricky.

I'm getting a new garage come the end of November.

I'm already preparing to tool it up and get it sorted!

So if he can't manage the rebuild I'll spend a while stripping and rebuilding the whole thing :thumb:

As I've rebuilt more complicated engines before I'm hoping this will be a doddle!

Glad to be part of the project :cheers:

http://imageshack.com/a/img716/4226/k467.jpg

http://imageshack.com/a/img407/7691/ik25.jpg

http://imageshack.com/a/img6/6489/k97b.jpg

Frame and wheels are back and they look absolutely awesome, fully recommend FastLine coatings in Preston :)

The wheels are Ice white and the frame is grey/silver thing :)

Great little bike best of luck with it. I would go for a engine rebuild especially change the crank seals, they tend to dry out and cause all sort of engine run problems as they age.

Thanks guys :)

I'm well impressed considering the state of it when I took it there :P

The only problem I'm having is bringing my self to use the old bolts on it :/

What's the best way to remove dirt and rust off bolts? :P

Also, the shock absorber that's rusty too, do you reckon just paint the spring with hammerite or sand it all down and spray it? (Obviously after I remove the dirt and rust)

Hi looking at the job you've had done with the frame and wheels, why would you want to put rusty old bolts back in fit new ones. As for the rear shock if it works fine clean it up and recoat it. But for me things like shocks,wheels bearing, brake pads, tyres chain and sprockets would all be changed out for new ones. These parts you can ill afford to fail whilst your out riding.

+1 (again).

You've set the bar high my friend, break out a few more sheckles and get new stuff where you can. You don't want to be forever seeing some shitty old nuts and bolts and cursing yourself do you...