Registration is quick and easy 

My no frills website

min200

Now Im not trying to advertise here but please remove the post Stu if im crossing a line or doing anything wrong.

I do a lot of handyman work and have done for years BUT my kids tell me I need to get into the digital age with it so I duly bought a web domain and put this together.

http://smithshandymanservice.co.uk/

Now I want nothing but a no frills approach ie. just one page simply explaining what I do. What I want from you good folks is feedback as to what you truly think and what might be up for changing. The kids made me put a Facewipe button on there too and I have no idea why!

So your thoughts please folks and don't worry I have a thick skin!

Yeah, I like it. Gets the message across with no extra fuss, reasonably tasteful, undistracting but not boring background. Only things I'd be tempted to change would be the font size (bit smaller maybe so you don't have to scroll down so much? gives people less time to get distracted/bored) and the clipart at the top (but that's just the designer in me :mrgreen:).

Extra points for not using Comic Sans or Times :lol: Could always use Tahoma or Fedra Sans if you want to make the text a little bit more eyecatching while keeping it easy to read.

Really like that background!

Looks ok to me and no worries on the advertising :thumb:

stick a link in your profile and signature to allow google to pick it up too :wink:

also have you got a facebook page? and twitter too?

these help massively these days

A facebook page....really! OK I suppose I could figure that bit out but as for twitter I have no idea!

Convert the email to an image???????? How would I do that then?

Oh and Stu thanks chap :D :cheers:

Its not very mobile friendly :D

As for the email if it's a business one I would leave it as it is and deal with the spam as you don't want to loose business because some numpty can't type your email

If your web server supports PHP, save your web page with the extension '.php' and use the following piece of script at the top of your page to hide your phone numbers and email addresses. I wrote it a few years back and it will stop most spam bots. They are getting smarter though ...

<?php function obfuscate($string) {
 $chars = str_split($string);
 $data = NULL;
 foreach ($chars as $char) $data .= '\\x'.sprintf('%02X', ord($char));
 return '<script language="javascript">document.write("'.$data.'");</script>';
} ?>

Then, where your phone numbers and email are, simply type:

<?php obfuscate('XXX'); ?>

Where XXX is your phone number or email.

Simples :)

Could you put "SMITHS HANDYMAN SERVICE" next to the clip art image and move that to the left slightly? Then "The Traditional Handyman Service" could go smaller under that, that'd reduce the amount you need to scroll by quite a bit.

Also another + for the Facebook page. I'd have thought a Facebook page would be a great marketing tool for a service like this. Get your friends liking the page and maybe customers that you've done work for, they could post what an excellent service you provided then all their friends will see it too.

I thought it was OK! 8-)

Can you move further south? I have a garden wall that need 'fettling'.

:cheers:

was thinking the same.. ive got an extension needs building but cant find any local builders who dont charge a fortune!!

Massive gap in market for Northern tradespeople to come down and undercut the southern rip-off merchants.

I could include 5* hotel accommodation and it would still be cheaper than some of the quotes i've had!

OK then folks I made a Facewipe page...

https://www.facebook.com/Smithshandymanservice.co.uk

What am I supposed to do with it then?

Looks good,

My two cents,

Invite all your friends to like the page and get your close friends and family to share with all their friends. Ask for shares, you're more likely to get people sharing it if you ask than if you don't! Genereally most people feel funny asking but it's really no harm and it's only a simple click for someone to do it.

Keep it up to date with recent work, take photos and post them up there. Do you have things that happen at certain times of the year? I mean for example, I see you decking, do people generally look for quotes for this sort of thing in spring? Things like that, at the time, post a picture with "thinking of getting your decking sorted for this summer? Call me" - that sort of thing. Don't post too often as people will get fed up and probably unlike you but once or twice a week (or less often) is great. It may sound obvious but don't put any personal views that may offend up either, this is business, people don't want to hear you slag off the government or anything like that, remember they may have a different view to you.

Just remember it's no get rich quick scheme, don't be disheartened if you don't get any enquiries for a while, it takes time. What you are doing is putting yourself in everyones mind so when they do need something they'll think of you. Hopefully everytime you post something it'll keep you in mind.

Good luck!

OK then folks I made a Facewipe page...

https://www.facebook.com/Smithshandymanservice.co.uk

What am I supposed to do with it then?

Looks good,

My two cents,

Invite all your friends to like the page and get your close friends and family to share with all their friends. Ask for shares, you're more likely to get people sharing it if you ask than if you don't! Genereally most people feel funny asking but it's really no harm and it's only a simple click for someone to do it.

Keep it up to date with recent work, take photos and post them up there. Do you have things that happen at certain times of the year? I mean for example, I see you decking, do people generally look for quotes for this sort of thing in spring? Things like that, at the time, post a picture with "thinking of getting your decking sorted for this summer? Call me" - that sort of thing. Don't post too often as people will get fed up and probably unlike you but once or twice a week (or less often) is great. It may sound obvious but don't put any personal views that may offend up either, this is business, people don't want to hear you slag off the government or anything like that, remember they may have a different view to you.

Just remember it's no get rich quick scheme, don't be disheartened if you don't get any enquiries for a while, it takes time. What you are doing is putting yourself in everyones mind so when they do need something they'll think of you. Hopefully everytime you post something it'll keep you in mind.

Good luck!

Do all this, but put the regular updates on your WEBSITE rather than feeding Facebook... The regularly updating text will boost your search rankings with Google etc and help people find your site.

Many people dont use FaceBook, they use Google to find businesses so sign up with "Google Places for Business" so people searching your area can find your business.

Implement some kind of blog into your site to include photos and brief project summaries of recent works as well as testimonials from happy customers, then link to your site from Facebook and twitter etc each time your post a new project.

Also, make sure you have some form of visitor tracking system so you can see how many hits your site is getting. a simple (free) one to use is www.statcounter.com

I agree with the comments about your website. I think I would want to convert the little Handyman pic into a format that can make the background transparent. It will not have that white box around it then.

I have liked you Facebook page too. I have a number of friends up north who will see it and hopefully like it too.

Good luck.

PNG format is the one you'll need, but you can't just change the file extension - need to actually set the areas of transparency. I can do it when I get home, if it'd be a help.

Hmm I may have a job for you too ;-)

PNG format is the one you'll need, but you can't just change the file extension - need to actually set the areas of transparency. I can do it when I get home, if it'd be a help.

Thanks very much for the offer it would be much appreciated! Pm and I will send you my email address ;)

I agree with the comments about your website. I think I would want to convert the little Handyman pic into a format that can make the background transparent. It will not have that white box around it then.

I have liked you Facebook page too. I have a number of friends up north who will see it and hopefully like it too.

Good luck.

Thanks for the like and all the help it's much appreciated! Already got a couple of jobs off of the Facewipe page so they must work!

Now in the process of creating a "web presence"...amazing what you can pick up along the way!