Mod One - Failed :(

Got to the emergency stop with no minors and then bang!!!!!!!! too much back break and a big skid!!!

Feeling a little deflated at the moment but the instructor let me ride the Triumph Street Triple (13) back from Wakefield to Harrogate. Quality bike and really goes.

Bad luck.

It's just a matter of practice, and that will overcome any test nerves.

Don't get down, it's better to make the mistakes at mod 1 than later in heavy traffic.

Keep going.

Cheers guys, appreciate the support.

Governments are killing the motorcycle industry by putting so many barriers in the way of young people who want to ride bikes!

The manufacturers know this because the biking population is getting older and older......and there could be hard times ahead!.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not advocating a return to the "ride round the block then ride anything" scenario that I went through in 1971.......but there has to be a sensible balance to all this. Cos we've gone from one extreme to another.

PS....I don't even have a clue what a Mod One is.....but it sounds like more bureaucratic bullshit to me!

ask your instructor to explain the "egg technique" on your braking procedure. Good luck & don't give up- you are nearly in biking nirvana!

I got given the 'imagine you have a massive c*ck thats hanging out your boot on top of the rear brake pedal' speach. It should stop me being too agressive.

ask your instructor to explain the "egg technique" on your braking procedure. Good luck & don't give up- you are nearly in biking nirvana!

I got given the 'imagine you have a massive c*ck thats hanging out your boot on top of the rear brake pedal' speach. It should stop me being too agressive.

I'm liking this Mod One bullshit even less now! Massive cock on your rear brake pedal? WTF!

Maybe we should go back to the processes of 40 years ago......we weren't having to fixate on massive cocks on brake pedals back then!

I'm going down to the garage right now just to check that no twat has put his cock on my brake pedal!

Oh dear! Nevermind you can always get back on the horse and try again. At least the Mod 1 isn't all that expensive.

I failed both my mod one and mod two on the first attempts, most of which I put down to nerves. Next time you'll know exactly what to expect.

One thing I found with the emergency stop is that most of the time you can stop well within time just using the front brake so depending on conditions try to focus more on the power of the front brake and just use the back to stabilise the bike.

Hard luck mate but at least you know what's coming and what to expect. It's all useful stuff for the real world as well, don't sweat it, just remember that striple ;)

Hard luck.

Keep going, as per my signature...I took a few goes, and dropped the instructors bike on test 2!

You'll get there! As my mate said, better to f**k it up when you're in safe surroundings than get out there and learn your lesson the hard way

:3some:

• 4 weeks later...

I don't think a skid alone should be reason for a fail tbh as a number of bikes have ABS which you can use to take your test on. Losing control of a skid and coming off would be an entirely different matter.

• 1 month later...

Thing to remember about the E stop is that the examiner isnt expecting you to stop dead he wants you to stop as quick as as safe as possible.

Personally I think the mod 1 and mod 2 test is a good idea, covers all areas, slow manouvers is a must as I have seen a fair few bikers unable to ride at slow speed round obsticles without using their feet to help them, and its not stuff you wont use.

Thing to remember about the E stop is that the examiner isnt expecting you to stop dead he wants you to stop as quick as as safe as possible.

Exactly. Don't think about the distance you have to stop in, just get the thing stopped safely - that's what they want to see.

I failed my first Mod 1 for putting a foot down on my U-Turn. I nailed the U-Turn about 200 times before the test without putting a foot down once. Mod 1 is harsh because it tests you in an alien environment, i.e. not on the road.

These conditions don't do you any favours - but try and relax and you'll get it next time. But I agree, the Mod 1 is dogshit. The Mod 2 is far more relaxed, I promise.