Classic example of marketing people not knowing the market!

XmisterIS

Yes, I think oil changes on older cars are a myth, as if they were really that important, my VW dog-waggon would have died ages ago, but its still going strong!! :lol:

If you have the 1.9pd diesel engine in your VW then oil changes are pretty important on these things

without the right oil and changed when it needs to be done the cam lobes wear and cause all sorts of problems down to cracked buckets etc

all in all your talking £1000 for a recon of the head

I have seen these engines do it with only 100k on the clock on long life servicing (20k oil changes)

these motors are good for 500K if maintained as and when needed and with the right parts

so not just a myth :wink:

Yes, I think oil changes on older cars are a myth, as if they were really that important, my VW dog-waggon would have died ages ago, but its still going strong!! :lol:

If you have the 1.9pd diesel engine in your VW then oil changes are pretty important on these things

its the 1.8 Petrol (non-turbo) ;)

in fairness, with three cars, the dogwagon only does about 3k miles per year, so i've probably only done about 10k miles with no oil change.. it was full service history before i bought it, so its probably about 5k miles past its service.

Since i gave it some new drive shafts, i may as well give the old-gal an oil change :)

I got a fully loaded Mondeo, ex Ford car, with TWENTY miles on the clock for £12k under list price - 40% off. Most of my cars have been ex-demo/management or discontinued/last years version. I once got a Saab fro -£5k as last years model, salesman pointed out the differences with the 2 cars parked side by side, and after I looked away then turned back I couldn't find them again.

its the 1.8 Petrol (non-turbo) ;)

in fairness, with three cars, the dogwagon only does about 3k miles per year, so i've probably only done about 10k miles with no oil change.. it was full service history before i bought it, so its probably about 5k miles past its service.

Since i gave it some new drive shafts, i may as well give the old-gal an oil change :)

I wont mention the oil sludge problem they suffer from then :lol: :lol:

just bung cheap oil in every 10K for them and dont worry or wait till it goes bang and buy another :lol:

I clock 10K a year in my bugger well I say I the missus drives it more then me!!

290K and still going strong 8-) its just everything else is falling apart......I need to look at two of the calipers and probably rebuild or replace them!!

:stupid:

I've read the oil inside diesel engines suffers from increasing acidity with use too.

Off topic but I always use Slick50 on car engines ( never owned a new one ) as the marketing claim a treated engine was drained of all engine oil then ran for 30 miles without seizure, catastrophic for bikes due to the wet clutches though.

on the subject of oil sludging I was led to believe that with todays oils that is no longer the same problem as it used to be?

tell that to the guys who buy the 1.8 turbo audi's and have a sludge problem and at worse a new engine to go with it :lol:

to be honest it only happens on oils thats been left in for 20k+ miles before a change

on the subject of oil sludging I was led to believe that with todays oils that is no longer the same problem as it used to be?

Neighbours Clio, she didn't change the oil for 3 years when the mech drained he described it was like treacle :lol:

Off topic but I always use Slick50 on car engines ( never owned a new one ) as the marketing claim a treated engine was drained of all engine oil then ran for 30 miles without seizure, catastrophic for bikes due to the wet clutches though.

My dad swears by the stuff but as far as I can tell all it will do is clog up the filter

We bought a Dacia Sandero in June. Classed as no frills it's the mid range model with central locking, front electric windows, colour coded this and that with a 1.2 engine. £6600 on the road. So who can complain at that price with no MOT for three years and 5 years warranty means I don't need to lift a finger on it for a while :D

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f15/min200/sandero_zps4e21208a.jpg

We bought a Dacia Sandero in June. Classed as no frills it's the mid range model with central locking, front electric windows, colour coded this and that with a 1.2 engine. £6600 on the road. So who can complain at that price with no MOT for three years and 5 years warranty means I don't need to lift a finger on it for a while :D

Chuck it in the bin after 5 years, and its only cost you 1320 per year - bargain!

Chuck it in the bin after 5 years, and its only cost you 1320 per year - bargain!

I know result or what!

Rag it around for 5 years, sell it to the kids and go and buy another one! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

That's Bob the Travelling Monkey.

He is quite famous in certain circles and has travelled to more places on the planet than I ever will!

Take a look and if anyone wants to take him on holiday give me a shout the only requirement is you buy him a new outfit when you take him :)

https://www.facebook.com/groups/238859176226676/