Bike stops revving then dies.

Guest Cm810

Hello

New to both biking and the site so bare with me!

The other day I was out riding when my bike suddenly wouldn't rev any higher (I was cruising at about 5k rpm). After about 10 seconds the revs began to drop until it stalled and I came to a stop. I tried to turn it back on but the engine was just ticking over, the lights and dash were lit up and seemed fine. It took a few minutes then turned back on, rode off but the same happened again by the end of the road. Finally got to work where I left it for a few hours, on my way home it seemed fine for the first fifteen minutes before doing the same except this time when it died the dash and headlights went as well. I tried to turn it back on but it just made a very low ticking noise unlike one I had heard before. My initial thought is that its something to do with the battery and although I'd really like to fix it myself I have very limited experience with motorbikes.

The model is a 2002 Honda XL125V Varadero, sometimes called a baby Varadero.

Thanks

Conor

it seemed fine for the first fifteen minutes before doing the same except this time when it died the dash and headlights went as well. I tried to turn it back on but it just made a very low ticking noise unlike one I had heard before. My initial thought is that its something to do with the battery and although I'd really like to fix it myself I have very limited experience with motorbikes.

Conor

Battery and/or charging circuit - the clue is in the lights going dim, and the clicking noise when you try to start it.

Charge the battery then try again.

My journey to work is very short, less than 20 minutes. It happened at the beginning of my journey back as well which I had forgotten about. Not sure if this helps at all. If its simply a weak battery (and working on the assumption there is no other issues with charging circuit etc) will just charging it solve the issue?

If it is carb icing what would I need to do to fix it?

Thanks

C

this is your fix for carb icing

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/16098290 ... =95&ff19=0

it will only do it in cold weather due to the cold air and moisture in the air

the moisture freezes around the jet and blocks it the heat from the engine once stopped melts the ice allowing it to start again

Ok so I've charged the battery but it was on 12.8 volts when I first started so it doesn't seem to have died. I'll leave it on charge for 10 hours, if thats the right thing to do, and see in the morning as it hasn't been on for very long. Could it be something with the fuel injection? The choke has never worked very well so I don't know if that might be related. By not working I mean you have to pull it out as much as it can before anything happens but it instantly revs to about 4k so I immediately push it back in and then pull it out again and it usually starts working. I have no idea if thats related so sorry if I'm off on a tangent there haha.

Thanks for the help so far :D

• 4 weeks later...

Yer id agree id say that it is more than likely the battery. Im no expert as iv not had this problem myself, but with the lights dimming it does sound like the battery is either A) not holding the charge or B) just plain and simply packed in im afraid mate. definately sounds like a battery issue though. :(